Easily Adjust Timing

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
fuzzpimp

Easily Adjust Timing

Post by fuzzpimp »

I found a way to adjust the timming on the 4-cyl and its really easy, just loosen the bolts on the distributor a bit and turn the distributor, listen to the engine(it has to be on) to tell weather your reatrding or advancing the timming.<BR>This is also an invitation to see if any mechanics out there tell me how stupid that idea was. (hey worked for me)
boostedmx

Re: Easily Adjust Timing

Post by boostedmx »

that is correct for the spark timing. if you want to adjust engine timing you will have to get adjustable cam gears.
DRAG SPEC MX3 BEING PARTED OUT.
BUY ALL MY STUFF OR DIE.lol, SERIOUSLY BUY MY STUFF. PLEEEASE
Bri94GS

Post by Bri94GS »

your ECU will not allow you to advance timing will it? I thought it will retard it back to stock...?
~Bri - Morph860@aol.com
'94 MX-3 GS (FOR SALE!)
'04 Mazda 3s 5-door
zoom-zoom
SaiDaFrenteMX3

Post by SaiDaFrenteMX3 »

does that give any Power by twisting the distributer???????? :roll:
Xx(DualCam4MX-3)xX
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

On a 4cl MX-3 you loosten the distributor bolts and turn clockwise to advance, counterclockwise to retard the timing. No gears will have to be changed to change the timing. Dont go over 3 degrees, and you will have to run 93 octane there after.<BR>If you get excessive amounts of pinging retard it more, cause you could damage the motor.
Custommx3
Site Administrator

Post by Custommx3 »

Yoiu should get a few HP gain @ 3 degrees, but be carefull, I have it dne to mine. be prepared to loose some gas mileage in the process. and @ 93 octane being the highest price and engine consumption increasing, is it worth it? I would only do it on the weekends when you want to race.
fuzzpimp

Post by fuzzpimp »

First I tried advanceing it all the way, but when I drove it I got pinging at low rmp (foot to the floor), I brought it back to about half way, the pinging stopped and now whenever I go around a turn from a dead stop my car likes to get sideways (stop sign onto a major road, foot to the floor, no spnning, i usually don't like to spin). DOes it have to be exactly 3 degrees, or does it just have to be to where it wont knock???<BR>Whats the point of adjusting engine timming??<P>OH yeah right now I am only running mid-grade, until its all burned up.<p>[ October 10, 2001: Message edited by: fuzzpimp ]
fuzzpimp

Post by fuzzpimp »

ONe more thing, what is this I here about grounding a wire to the ECU that supposedly cuts 75% of the fuel at low RPM's for economy reasons?? can I hook it up to a switch??? Are there switchs that can do that??
renef

Post by renef »

WAITAMINNIT!???<P>The distributor cap? as in where the plug wires are? The plastic one???<P>Loosen it and turn it? Really? And then tighten it?<P>Tell me more<P>Please email me - somebody! I need to confirm.<P>RF
White 1992 MX-3 RS Turbo<BR>"Live Boosted or Die!"
Custommx3
Site Administrator

Post by Custommx3 »

Yes<BR>where the spark plugs plug into. It doesnt have to be 3 degrees, but thats a safe distance. Rememeber, if you have modded your engine, changed the timing belt, things of that nature, chances are your timing could need a slight adjustment. So going more that 3 is normal if it is off in the 1st place. I would go higher, but I get pinging past 3 degrees. So I run it at about 3 degrees. Your idle may increase too. <P>Referring to the grounding wire on the ECU. where did you hear that noise? Thats crazy! That would throw off your air/gas mixture, and could cause rough idles and maybe smoking. But then again, I have not heard this so I could be wrong. I wouldnt do anything to my ECU. Screwing with that could fry it, and thats not a cheaP part!
fuzzpimp

Post by fuzzpimp »

Thanks for the advice, I'll check up on the ECU MOD, and keep you guys posted.<BR>I should just save up some dough and have a-spec drop in a 2.5 KL-ZE for me
bayoumx-3

Post by bayoumx-3 »

If you really want to change the timing and retard on your car and want be able to control it from the inside of the car and don't mind spending a little money just go get an apexi ignion timing controler or super(itc)<P>thats what I did $200 for the unit and$50 to install
Live hard, drive fast, back down to no one.
bslenderpeak

Post by bslenderpeak »

custommx3, the switch that fuzzpimp I think is talking about would be one that would control PRC Solonoid's #1 and #2. I just left a post tonight questioning if anyone has done it. Ofcourse a much safer way of doing it would be blocking of the #1 hose instead of shorting out the computer. With #1 and #2 blocked off and constant vacuum say from the manifold to port#2 on the fuel pressure Regulator it would maintain 50psi. I don't know if a stock MX3 can benefit from it and am hoping somebody picks up on it and leaves a post for us tommorow. I'm not suggesting it to people but only asking who dunnit, Oh and fuzzpimp, the bolts you want to loosen are going to be 12mm not the ones actually on the plastic cap. If you loosen those(8mm) and twist you'll probably break your distributor cap <BR> :(<p>[ October 11, 2001: Message edited by: bslenderpeak ]
'95 Blue Creek Mica RS<BR>Vermont
chammill3

Post by chammill3 »

I have 94 MX-3 DOHC, and I found that I have 2-timing marks. So after reading about Miata advance timing to 14-degrees I tried same, but I went to 2nd-mark on mine (have two marks) and it works very well. Lots of extra zoooom, pinging may result due to extra load or low octane fuel. Bosch Platinum plugs and a good spark system overall help too.
Best regards,<P>Charles Hammill

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”