Can a turbo be bad for an engine

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Brainless

Can a turbo be bad for an engine

Post by Brainless »

I wanna put a turbo in my car but before I start to search for the parts or anything, I want to know there is a danger for the the engine or anything else. Is that legal here in quebec?<P>------------------<BR>Brainless<BR>93 Red RS<BR><A HREF="http://www.Geocities.com/j_micho" TARGET=_blank>geocities.com/j_micho</A> <B>(last update 07-09-2001)</B>
Jonathan Michaud
93 Red RS
RanMan

Re: Can a turbo be bad for an engine

Post by RanMan »

There should not be any damage to your engine as long as you don't use an extreme amount of boost. I would say that anywhere from 4-6 lbs of boost would be about the most you would want to go without any major modifications (on a 4-cyl). I had a Supra turbo that had a turbo that put out about 6lbs max and 6 lbs made a HUGE difference. You would have to run the HIGHEST octane fuel you could get (to help prevent pinging). As to whether it is legal...not sure, but I would think so as long as it was done right and passed emissions (if Canada HAS emissions tests).
Manach

Post by Manach »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RanMan:<BR><STRONG>There should not be any damage to your engine as long as you don't use an extreme amount of boost. I would say that anywhere from 4-6 lbs of boost would be about the most you would want to go without any major modifications (on a 4-cyl). I had a Supra turbo that had a turbo that put out about 6lbs max and 6 lbs made a HUGE difference. You would have to run the HIGHEST octane fuel you could get (to help prevent pinging). As to whether it is legal...not sure, but I would think so as long as it was done right and passed emissions (if Canada HAS emissions tests).</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>We got emissions tests.. Don't worry about that. I think Quebec got lots of rules which are from time to time... Weird.<P>Manach
Manach
Ex Mx'er with a Mx-3 1993..

Still in the Mazda Familly with :
-Mazda Rx-7 1987 GXL (Not running, one housing does not compress)
-Mazda Protege MazdaSpeed 2003.5 Titanium!

Still got 3 Engines!
- B6-ZE : Turbo Festiva project (Waiting donor car)
- BP-DE : Trader for a B6-ZE 1994 for parts upgrade in the Festiva project
- K8 : For sell. Pm me for info!

Once you go turbo, you can never go back!
Ramfis Mx3

Post by Ramfis Mx3 »

The most important thing is having that low preasure (lbs) if you are not going to change pistons and you should have a good setted, like fuel and stuff. ;)
Manach

Post by Manach »

Brain, ever saw the drag race at Lucksville? (30 minutes from Aylmer). On the trials, there are lots of mechanics, which could give you a hand with your Turbo question. Well, if it is street legal in Quebec.<P>Not too many Mx-3 there, even then, none race. Mine was sitting next to the track and watching the car go fast ;) (Just got it by then).<P>Isn't there suppose to be some race shop like SpeedStyle or something around your place? They might help.<P>Ohh well.<P>Manach
Manach
Ex Mx'er with a Mx-3 1993..

Still in the Mazda Familly with :
-Mazda Rx-7 1987 GXL (Not running, one housing does not compress)
-Mazda Protege MazdaSpeed 2003.5 Titanium!

Still got 3 Engines!
- B6-ZE : Turbo Festiva project (Waiting donor car)
- BP-DE : Trader for a B6-ZE 1994 for parts upgrade in the Festiva project
- K8 : For sell. Pm me for info!

Once you go turbo, you can never go back!
Andrew_Pakula

Post by Andrew_Pakula »

This should probably be on the V6 Technical/Performance board instead of here.
Brainless

Post by Brainless »

First of all, my car is a i4. Second, my question was about general turbo and not only about putting a turbo on my 93 mx-3 RS. <P>Are you a moderator?<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Andrew Pakula:<BR><STRONG>This should probably be on the V6 Technical/Performance board instead of here.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Jonathan Michaud
93 Red RS
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

Yes, a turbo can destroy your engine. It can also not have any affect on the life of the motor. Tuning is key.<P>Watch the flames...<P><B><I>Post moved to 4cyl performance forum</B></I>
David Coleman
I used to know alot about MX-3's, but not so much anymore. Oh well.
Bri94GS

Post by Bri94GS »

You'll probably need to change your clutch, and possibly your fuel pump..depending on the amount of boost you plan on running. If you aren't careful with turbo, you can blow up some stuff under the hood. And yea, turbos should be legal...they come in some cars stock...i don't see why they'd be illegal
~Bri - Morph860@aol.com
'94 MX-3 GS (FOR SALE!)
'04 Mazda 3s 5-door
zoom-zoom

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”