Engine Heat Worries me

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Shady469
Supporting Member

Engine Heat Worries me

Post by Shady469 »

Ive got a 92 1.6 SOHC with several mods(Intake w/ ram air, I.C.E Pak, and so on)<BR>and even though the needle stays in the middle , after a good race my engine is really hot, like can feel through the hood. what can i do to cool it down, I've got plenty of antifreeze and all my fluids are at fine levels. thanx in advance<BR><P>------------------<BR>Shady MX-3<BR>92 1.6L SOHC
B6T powered MX-3 - sold
Stage 3ish 03 WRX - sold
03 S2000 - current/ for sale
boostedmx

Re: Engine Heat Worries me

Post by boostedmx »

mine is the same way. it feels really hot but thats the way they run? just keep an eye on the gauge its normal for mine though.
DRAG SPEC MX3 BEING PARTED OUT.
BUY ALL MY STUFF OR DIE.lol, SERIOUSLY BUY MY STUFF. PLEEEASE
Swego

Post by Swego »

Maybe a scoop on the hood would help! Your car would probably look nicer too.
Raivynn

Post by Raivynn »

Water wetter (not sure who makes it, but it's supposed to drop engine temp. by so many degrees...chances are you'll find it at a local parts store or performance mag.), and a *functional* hood scoop *might* help. <P>My MX runs a little below half, and it's running warmer than normal. But then again, my engine isn't modified. <P>Note: Running cooler air to your engine will make it run HOTTER. Reason: The air/fuel mixture will burn hotter because of the better air/fuel ratio.<P>Just a hint. Might help, might not.<P>-Raiv.<P>------------------<BR>-- Zoom Zoom Zoom -- The spirit of the sports car.
mxcess

Post by mxcess »

You could hook up a manual switch to your electric fan to keep it running after you shut the car down after a race. Just make sure you keep the car at an idle for a couple minutes after each race to prevent your engine from "heat soaking". Or you could get an aftermarket electric waterpump so that you can keep the coolant flowing without the engine running plus it cuts down on parasitic drag on the engine(more horses, baby). Mine runs smack dab in the middle of the guage and never moves except when cold. Hope this helps.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”