Gas Mileage

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
kingofslackerz

Gas Mileage

Post by kingofslackerz »

Alright, lately I've been getting terrible gas mileage. Well not terrible but not as good as I should..<BR> I have a 95 RS, 90,000 miles. I just changed the oil, plugs, and had a top check.<BR> Other than this it runs fine. My gas gauge seems to fluxuate a lot. I don't know if others do this. When my gas light comes on, it'll come on for a few miles, then go off for a while. This last for about 15-20 miles, untill it fully comes on. Then I have about 40-60 miles untill I run out of gas.<BR> It also seems like I have a lot less HP when I'm lower on gas. It'll stall when I first start up and hit the gas, which it doesn't do on a full, or half tank.<BR> Usually I'm at about 180-190 Miles after half a tank. Then I only end up with about 280-300 miles total. So at half a tank I have about 26 miles to the gallon, but after it empties it's at about 22. That just doens't seem right.<BR> Now I'm still runnin on my original distributor cap and wires, which I was told I should change them, but will that help that much on gas mileage...ne wayz...thanks in advance...<P>BTW I'm not ne sort of mechanic at all, so anything in their that makes me sound dumb, ignore it<P>------------------<BR>~Picture me standing in front of a performance shop holding a cardboard sign~<P>"WILL WORK FOR MODS"<P>~In otherwords, I'm a poor bastard~
95 White MX-3<BR>Brian<BR>No Mods, too Poor

Re: Gas Mileage

Post by Guest »

all I can say is WOW! 280-300 Mpg?? I have a 94 dohc 4cly and I get 240-260. If you really notice a diff, from when you first got it, have the injectors cleaned and maybe new oxygen sensor. CHris
kingofslackerz

Post by kingofslackerz »

That's 18 Miles to the gallon...for a little 4 cyl, that's terrible...my friends Lincoln Mark 8 gets like 18....we should be getting around 30....<P>
Bbqman218

Post by Bbqman218 »

<p>[This message has been edited by Bbqman218 (edited August 23, 2001).]
GuyverXL

Post by GuyverXL »

I to am getting shitty Millege for a full tank. The most I ever got was,<P>City: 320 Km<BR>Highway: 500 KM<P>If anyone has any solutions as to what I can do to improve this I would appretiated ALOT.<P>Gas aint cheap ............
Mazda Mx-3 1996<BR>4cyl
xeffex

Post by xeffex »

Yeah, my gas sensor is wierd too. I hate that. I agree with Chris.... get your injectors cleaned and go from there.<P>Jordan
Jordan<BR>1994 White RS
kingofslackerz

Post by kingofslackerz »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by xeffex:<BR><B>Yeah, my gas sensor is wierd too. I hate that. I agree with Chris.... get your injectors cleaned and go from there.<P>Jordan</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I'm guessing by "gete your injectors cleaned" you mean go to a shop, not use the little bottle crap before you fill your tank?<P>
mendel00985

Post by mendel00985 »

The bottled stuff will work wonders and if you put a 'dose' in on a regular basis, it'll really help get the system clean. I use Gumout; it's not expensive and I've been using it for well over twenty years. The others work well enough but I tend to be brand loyal.

Post by Guest »

Yea I ment to goto a service shop and have them run you engine on a bottle of injector cleaner its self. It cost about $55 and take about 30-40 minutes. They shut off your gas pump and run the car off a straight cleaner. It does help more than the STP stuff.
GoA-BoY

Post by GoA-BoY »

I have a 1993 MX-3 with the 1.6 SOHC.<P>I used the "Gumout" Fuel Injector cleaner with a full tank of gas and drove from Minneapolis to Grand Forks without stopping (about 450km) at an average speed of 130km/h (average engine speed of 3200RPM). Good way to run that s--- through your fuel system.<P>I noticed a minor improvement afterwards.<P>------------------<BR><B><A HREF="http://www.mp3.com/nealpinto" TARGET=_blank>¡¡LISTEN TO MY MUSIC!!</A></B>
<B><A HREF="http://www.mp3.com/nealpinto" TARGET=_blank>¡¡LISTEN TO MY MUSIC!!</A></B>

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”