Knocking noise under hard acceleration........

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
fieval79
Supporting Member

Knocking noise under hard acceleration........

Post by fieval79 »

I asked this before, but nothing helped Image Anyways, when I accel hard, I have knocking noises from the motor. Only sometimes though. I was experimenting with the gas pedal today, and when it's all the way to the floor, it doesn't knock. But if I do it half way, it knocks. Very weird. It's not the lifters (different knock), and it's not the CV's. I just can't figure out what it is and what to do. I have tried all levels of octane: 87,89,92,87+octane boost.....nothing helped. Although the knocking noise wasn't as bad with the 89 octane gas. Injectors? Something bad in the fuel line?? Anybody have this problem before, or know what it might be, please help Image
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Knocking noise under hard acceleration........

Post by Custommx3 »

My only suggestion is having your motor checked out. if it sounds like its internal, could be mechanical. Pop the hood, and rev the motor, see where the noise comes from, and what area.<P>------------------<BR>Barry Clark<BR><I><B>Moderator</B></I><BR>1995 Mazda Mx-3 RS<BR>Chaste White<BR><A HREF="http://www.barrykclark.com" TARGET=_blank>barrykclark.com</A> <BR> custommx3@usa.net <p>[This message has been edited by Custommx3 (edited June 07, 2001).]
fieval79
Supporting Member

Post by fieval79 »

Here's the deal though.....it never does it then. It doesn't make the noise in idle, or in 1st gear for that matter. Only in 2nd and 3rd gears. It's really, really annoying...
RiEnHaRp

Post by RiEnHaRp »

I had that problem, Mine was the octane, I use 91 now, but It took maybe two tanks to get it to stop, I was using 87 and it does " click" similar to driving a manual and going into third , but you put it into 5th instead, Rien
SmokyMcGee

Post by SmokyMcGee »

get a diagnostic and have your knock sensor checked out. Bad gas usually makes a bad knock sensor rattle. Over time bad knock sensor's do engine damage.
eD
92 KL-ZE V6 FX-Designs kit
Sparkle Blue
http://smokymcgee.5u.com/index.html
Cybin

Post by Cybin »

I have the same problem I'm guessing it's a injector. The clicking can be heard coming from that area..... I need to replace them anyway but at $91 I sure hope it works. Do your spark plugs work themselfs loose?<P>-Cybin
Spinkzer

Post by Spinkzer »

sounds like the cylinders need aligned. Take to auto shop and have em check it out. if thats not it then its the rods driving up through your engine slowly destroying it for the inside out. in which case... how much you want for your car. =) lol<BR> peace fivel
fieval79
Supporting Member

Post by fieval79 »

Thanks everyone! It's been a while since I posted this, and it only does it every once in a while now. It used to do it at every acceleration. Now it only does it once in a while. I guess it doesn't matter though, because I'm saving right now for a B6T, so if something is seriously wrong, then o-well Image<P>Thanks!
RanMan

Post by RanMan »

I cannot be sure of this, but it is DEFINATELY worth checking into! Check your ignition timing. it sounds like your timing is too far advanced. I advanced my timing on my truck (for a few more HP) and I just use 93 to keep it from pinging. I have never used anything less than 93 in my truck after advancing the timing, so I am not sure if it would ping or not. At any rate, to combat the pinging, you need to either retard your timing to the correct settings or increase your octane to about 92 or 93. I very seriously doubt that it is anything serious with your car. Check your timing....chances are that it is too far advanced.
cemcintosh

Post by cemcintosh »

dont know exactly what your problem is, but i had a knocking sound in my engine also. when i took it to get an oil change they put some Kleen-Rite and TX7 Friction Reducer in when they changed my oil. Evidently it worked, because its been over 6 months and I havent had a knocking sound ever since..<BR>

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”