In takes for cheap!!!

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions

In takes for cheap!!!

Post by Guest »

Hey theres a guy on on of the mazda links that made his own intake for his 4cly mazda, <BR>But I found a way to make it cheaper!,<BR>He used black pvc piping and silicon adapters from Home Depot. and then a K&N filer from a speed shop. It cam to about $75 with Filter. But At Pepboys there is a Intimidater Filter like the K&n for $25. then for the piping get a 3in exhaust pipe from AutoZOne , 3in X 4ft for $5.99 and then at Payless cash ways they have the silicone adapters for 3.99 and then a custom air valve stim for a wheel and drill a hole in the pipe and screw in the valve to plug in the airvalve that plugs in toward the front of the original air box assembly. so this comes to about $45 and their you go, And youll need to go by a custom exhaust shop that can make the bends in the exhaust pipe similar to those in the piping from the trottle body to the filter. that was $15. <BR>Craig
jamario

Re: In takes for cheap!!!

Post by jamario »

Have you tried your custom intake? If so, did you feel any difference?
IF LIFE DOESN'T OFFER A GAME WORTH PLAYING, THEN INVENT ONE.
mixmastermark

Post by mixmastermark »

do you have any pictures?
whinypunk

Post by whinypunk »

i made my own custom cold air, but i used dryer ducting. its too flimsy and im gonna change it in the spring. i did notice a little difference in the higher RPM's, but i would do it just for the sound. it sounds amazing. cost me about 50 bucks.
Timmyd865

Post by Timmyd865 »

I made mine for like 55 bux, so check it out. PVC isn't a good thing, cause it can melt and send toxic fumes into the cabin! NOT GOOD! Anyway, here's mine.
www.geocities.com/timsmx3
16" Sport Edition Fox 2's, Yokohama H4's, Eclipse CD player, Eclipse components, MTX amp, Lightning Audio woofers in a custom fiber glass enclosure, custom intake, factory spoiler installed, reverse indiglo gauges, custom switch panel<p> :) www.geocities.com/timsmx3
anjin1982

Post by anjin1982 »

A muffler shop made the bends that tight i went to one and they said for 3 inch impossible maybe they aint want to mess with it...(there i go agAIN THREE DOTS)
http://members.cardomain.com/anjin1982
Maintaining my MX-3 in it's natural beauty state...Although i love the modded one's!!!
hud_91gt

Post by hud_91gt »

instead of PVC, go to your local speedshop and ask for a 3" U Bend. Magnaflow makes one, it is 14g Aluminized steel(about $35 Canadian). Then you just buy the silicon cuplings that are on intakes that you buy(They connect the Thottle body to the intake tube, and in this case the intake tube to the intake tube). Cut the U bend in half and u can make anytype of S shape tube you want.
Marlon

Post by Marlon »

1993 MX-3 GS V6 - Stock
2004 MazdaSpeed MX-5
2004 RX-8 - Project
papa roached

Post by papa roached »

im gonna try that last one out soon
93 MX-3 GS (collecting parts for Eunos Presso conversion), 94 626 Transmission (4.10 gears), KL31 camed KL-ZE, Millenia intake, Millenia TB, SSAutochrome V2 headers, Magnaflow cat, 2 1/4 in pipe, Top Speed Pro 1 muffler, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, ACT clutch, Corksport SS clutch line, Corksport SS brake lines, Unorthadox UDP, 255 lph fuel pump, HEI mod, ghetto-charger intake, KL36 ECU, SRD transverse crossmember bushings, SRD shifter extention bushing, SRD crossmember, Corksport bronzoil shifter bushings, Brembo Crossdrilled and Slotted rotors, 15 inch Konig Heliums, ZX-2 S/R struts, Eibach lowering springs, OEM front strut bar, Ebay rear strut bar, BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDWs

Parts needing installed: turbo kit from BB (if i ever get it), 9.0:1 CR Diamond pistons, 4340 forged H beam rods, C/J-Spec spoiler, Nissan red tops in KL rails
http://www.cardomain.com/id/blazejeremy
mx3man83

Post by mx3man83 »

well i made mine for 20 bucks...cone filter from auto zone and i used electrical tape to hold it on LOL!!! Of course this is temporary, but it works. FOr now i just wanted it for the sound...
Combat kit, Spectra blue paint, shaved, Black ADR flite 4 17's/ Yokahama ES 100's, straight through 2.5 inch cat back exhaust, CAI, Straight neck IM KLZE, poly filled motor mounts, Kl48/ Eprom chip, black altezzas, Wet Zex 75 shot, Walbro 255 fuel pump, Cosmo AFPR, GS SE all black interior, RF 1kbd amp, RF 12 HE2's (2), US acoustics 4 channel amp
My Cardomain site
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

just use civic intake off of ebay $25
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
papa roached

Post by papa roached »

im using a 99-01 corolla intake i got for free, will post some pics when i get it done
93 MX-3 GS (collecting parts for Eunos Presso conversion), 94 626 Transmission (4.10 gears), KL31 camed KL-ZE, Millenia intake, Millenia TB, SSAutochrome V2 headers, Magnaflow cat, 2 1/4 in pipe, Top Speed Pro 1 muffler, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, ACT clutch, Corksport SS clutch line, Corksport SS brake lines, Unorthadox UDP, 255 lph fuel pump, HEI mod, ghetto-charger intake, KL36 ECU, SRD transverse crossmember bushings, SRD shifter extention bushing, SRD crossmember, Corksport bronzoil shifter bushings, Brembo Crossdrilled and Slotted rotors, 15 inch Konig Heliums, ZX-2 S/R struts, Eibach lowering springs, OEM front strut bar, Ebay rear strut bar, BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDWs

Parts needing installed: turbo kit from BB (if i ever get it), 9.0:1 CR Diamond pistons, 4340 forged H beam rods, C/J-Spec spoiler, Nissan red tops in KL rails
papa roached

Post by papa roached »

anyone know where i can get the rubber intake couplers at? i need one more to hoo the 3 inch pipe to my MAF

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”