HP Rating

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
93mx3

HP Rating

Post by 93mx3 »

Hey, I dont got the money to run my car on a dyno so Ill ask your guys opinion. I have a 93 RS which has a powercore intake,Pace setter catback exhaust,and ngk wires and plugs,what do you think I have for HP? Maybe 100 at the most?? Also I have seen The 0-60 time for a RS at 10.3 or so seconds the problem there is my friends civic lx is listed at a time of 9.2 and I have beaten him on many occasions. He has an intake exhaust, and short shifter. I dont see my car being that slow.... even at stock. Maybe somone can shed some light on this for me! Thanx<BR>Jim<BR>93 Bright White RS
David Coleman

Re: HP Rating

Post by David Coleman »

I would say 75-85hp is about realistic. The D15 1.5L in your friend's civic puts down about 60-70hp, since it's a ATX. A MX-3 GS puts down around 105-110 stock, so 15-20% off of 88hp [for drivetrain loss] is in the 70's I believe. The 94+ 4cyl's had 105hp due to the DOHC B6 vs your SOHC 1.6L. Hope this helps.<P>------------------<BR>David Coleman- <B><I>Moderator</B></I><BR><A HREF="http://www.PinkMX-3.com" TARGET=_blank>1993 Mazda MX-3 GS Special Edition</A><BR><B><I>Why get clear tail lights when only Geo Metros are gonna see them?</I></B>
David Coleman
I used to know alot about MX-3's, but not so much anymore. Oh well.
93mx3

Post by 93mx3 »

I know that you lose power through the drive train, but at the flywheel mine is listed at 88, so mine is less I understand, but my friends is listed as 102hp at the fly. This is what confuses me the most, and the fact that his civic should be almost a whole second faster in the 0-60 times. <BR>Thanx<BR>Jim 93 Bright White RS
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

He has an automatic transmission. I assume you have a manual transmission. That right there will be at least 1-2 seconds in the 1/4 mile. Plus his is a 4door, yours a hatchback, so weight is also an issue. Also the 1.6L has slightly more displacement, which means more torque likely<P>------------------<BR>David Coleman- <B><I>Moderator</B></I><BR><A HREF="http://www.PinkMX-3.com" TARGET=_blank>1993 Mazda MX-3 GS Special Edition</A><BR><B><I>Why get clear tail lights when only Geo Metros are gonna see them?</I></B>
David Coleman
I used to know alot about MX-3's, but not so much anymore. Oh well.
93mx3

Post by 93mx3 »

His happens to be a stick but is also listed in road and track of having a 0-60 time of 9.2 seconds which is more than a second fast than my RS(10.3 seconds stock) that time for my car just seems unrealistic. Thanx <BR>Jim<BR>93 Bright White RS
MX394RSR_JMCB

Post by MX394RSR_JMCB »

It is hard to say how much horsepower you have with your modifications! However what I can say is that with most intakes you will gain horsepower at high rpm while you will lose hp at lower rpm....overall, you will gain peak horse power because of your engine being an engine that hits peak hp at high rpm....all in all the modifications on your car are not significant enough to create truely visible performance gains...they could also create performance lost as in the case of some cars.(ex: AEM on focus)(depends...does your intake provide COLD air?, how large is your exhaust line, mandrel bent?.....etc)<P>From what i know from the mx3 RS ( i have one), stats show a 0-60 of 9.8s which is a conservative figure....many people that do "drag" racing have told me that the DOHC can easily rival with the V6 precidia(man) which is surprising even though statistically the V6 is not that far off! One thing that is for sure is that your friend's civic is slower than the 4-cyl dohc precidia!<P>I would say what matters most in who wins or loses is always the Driver!
Jean-Michel Basque
MX394RSR_JMCB

Post by MX394RSR_JMCB »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 93mx3:<BR><B>Hey, I dont got the money to run my car on a dyno so Ill ask your guys opinion. I have a 93 RS which has a powercore intake,Pace setter catback exhaust,and ngk wires and plugs,what do you think I have for HP? Maybe 100 at the most?? Also I have seen The 0-60 time for a RS at 10.3 or so seconds the problem there is my friends civic lx is listed at a time of 9.2 and I have beaten him on many occasions. He has an intake exhaust, and short shifter. I dont see my car being that slow.... even at stock. Maybe somone can shed some light on this for me! Thanx<BR>Jim<BR>93 Bright White RS</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Sorry...misread your question! you have the sohc....87hp, don't know the performance figures! However you would never get 100hp with the these mods(not even peak hp).....<BR>
Jean-Michel Basque

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”