Rear brakes - pads, rotors, calipers

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
macnwigs

Rear brakes - pads, rotors, calipers

Post by macnwigs »

Hey guys,<P>I just had three guys quote on my back brakes, and I wanted an opinion of others that may have had this done...<P>1)Mazda<P>$70 pads, $170 rotors, $310 a set of calipers (aftermarket), or $450 a side (oem), 3 hrs labour @ $70/hr ($210) = So to get a dealer to do this they want $760 + 15% tax with aftermarket calipers.<P>2) Local Garage<P>$45 pads, $90 rotors, $360 set of calipers, 3bhrs labour @ $70/hr = $651 from local grease monkey.<P>3) A lady at work heard me b----ing about the cost and said her husband was a licenced mechanic and would do it on the side.....<P>$25 Pads, $40 rotors, $186 set of calipers, $80 labour = $331 total...<P>Does this sound too good to be true or do garages really mark their parts up that much???<P>Any feedback would be great as I would like to get this done as soon as possible.....
"A man is only as old as the woman he feels"
Groucho Marx (1895-1977)

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
-Albert Einstein
Maddbuck

Re: Rear brakes - pads, rotors, calipers

Post by Maddbuck »

I'm looking to do this same exact job on my mx-3. I need new rotors new calipers and pads. Well I looked and found a few prices. upgrade rotors are going to cost $75 each. and loaded calipers are going to be around $151 each for the rear. this puts it to around $452 so you may be getting a good deal. I was going to take it to midas but they seem to rediculously high priced.<BR>keep in mind this is US$ so you could be getting a good deal, but it is up to you. other people may be able to give better advice.<p>[ May 14, 2002: Message edited by: Maddbuck ]
RayRay

Post by RayRay »

you guys should check out <A HREF="http://www.nopi.com" TARGET=_blank>Nopi</A>. Its $65 for rotors, about $150 for cross-drilled or slotted, $20 for pads, $110 for stainless steel lines, and $120 for calipers. I duno how much labor that would be but the prices don't seem too bad.
2005 Nissan 350z
1990 Mustang GT - [sold]
1992 Mx-3 GS - [sold]
white fish

Post by white fish »

canadian dollars wow I'm in Toronto let me know where you get your parts from
justin h

Post by justin h »

Do it yourself. The changing pads or rotors is a piece of cake. Actually, the entire braking system if pretty easy to fix or tune up.
Maddbuck

Post by Maddbuck »

If I buy the remanufactured rear calipers from nopi, is there anything else I need besides the brake pads?
KWK MX3

Post by KWK MX3 »

In Toronto i found Powerstop cross drilled discs for $120 from Karbelt. I also found used calipers from A spec but all i had to do was clean them inside thouroughly and carefully.
KWK MX3
macnwigs

Post by macnwigs »

well, my car went in on an unrelated problem and this new garage checked the brakes and did it for $500 plus tax...Not a bad deal considering my last couple of quotes and it's all on the up & up with receipt for warrenty purposes. <P>If anyone in the Greater Toronto Area needs theirs done, let me know and I will give you the name and number of the garage who fixed me up. :D
"A man is only as old as the woman he feels"
Groucho Marx (1895-1977)

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
-Albert Einstein

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”