K8-de compared to k8-ze

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Loganm91
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

K8-de compared to k8-ze

Post by Loganm91 »

Hi guys I have some questions about the k8 engines. I have a 92 MX-3 GS, which contains the US trim k8-de engine. My car has almost 230,000 miles and I was thinking about soon replacing my engine. I'm not looking to swap to a kl or anything special, I'd just like to replace my stock engine with another that has less miles. I've found a few k8 engines with less than 50k miles, however they all seem to be the j-spec (Japanese) k8, the k8-ze rather than the k8-de. These two engines are really almost identical apart from the k8-ze having about 5-10 more horses. I was wondering if I was to buy one of these j-spec engines, how it would take to my US MX-3. Would the fact that Japanese cars' drivers side is on the right rather than left affect the swap? Would all of my sensors and what not work with the Japanese motor? Would my stock ecu work with the motor? Or would I have to buy a new ecu also? I know they are basically the same engine I just would like to be a little more informed on how this "swap" would work considering it is a J-spec motor going in my US trim mx-3. Also would any year motor past 92, such as a k8 out of a 95, work with my 92 MX-3? Hope to hear back from you guys! Thanks! :D
SuperK
Supporting Member

Re: K8-de compared to k8-ze

Post by SuperK »

If you are going to replace your engine. that means you are going to pull it out and put a different one in. Why in blazes would you spend more money importing a K8ZE than dropping in a regular KL?

It's the exact same work, only less money.
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
metallinen

Post by metallinen »

Performance-wise, i had a k8ze with the k8de ecu and stock exhaust, and was just a little bit slow than a kl-de (well, the kl-de i had after the k8ze was not really in good shape, and still with the oem exhaust.) I guess, the k8ze with headers and a good exhaust might me interesting. But again, for the price, PLEASE don't swap in a k8ze, at least take a KF-ZE (v6 2L, sometimes 300$ less than a klze) but you should really go for the kl-de or kl-ze.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

I haven't seen one myself but I'm guessing the J spec K8 has no EGR so if you have to go for emissions testing you may need to swap over your intake. The KLDE and KLZE are both considerations but you would then need to use a stronger clutch. Any of the engines will work HOWEVER, after 93 you'll need to drill then tap a hole for your second water temp thermostat found beside where you add coolant above the accessory belts. You need that to be installed for your fan to work properly.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
miguelitorosal18
antispam: No

Post by miguelitorosal18 »

K8 is 2.0 ltr & KL we know is 2.5 ltr.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

miguelitorosal18 wrote:K8 is 2.0 ltr & KL we know is 2.5 ltr.
K8 is a 1.8. KF is 2.0
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
toomanyangelz
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by toomanyangelz »

Heard the FE3 Motor from the KIA Sportage is capable of boosting to 30psi at 400 ft-lbs i forget at what rpm. This guy in the Dominican Republic had a 10 second mx-3 with one only rocking forged pistons.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda_FE-DOHC_engine

The F-series is not a direct swap for the Mx-3. It's not that it's not doable, but will require some fabrication and custom work, as opposed to the B and K series being essentially bolt-in. There are plenty of FWD engines that make alot of power stock, but regardless that the FE3 is a Mazda engine, it has nothing to do with the Mx-3 platform and would be treated as a non-conventional swap as if it came from another manufacturer.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”