Valk's $500 Daily beater

In this section, Users can post worklogs for their vehicle and show users their projects. (MX-3 ONLY!). Please create only ONE topic when starting a project, and DO NOT create 2 worklogs for the same vehicle, even though they are different projects. READ THE STICKY!
valk1317
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Valk's $500 Daily beater

Post by valk1317 »

Hey all. ive been around here for a little while, trying to rebuild my wifes old 1992 mx3 gs model.

she really ran that car into the ground and we replaced it in feb 2014 with a 2003 protege esgt. awesome car that was for $2700 i paid for it.

I personally own a 2003 Mazdaspeed protege which is my main car. I love that thing but I didnt really spend much time and money on it in the time i was paying it off. that came back to bite me a little bit as my transmission started to develop issues ultimately needing a new dif and some bearings.
not a really big deal money wise, but it co-insides with some other projects i have on the go with it; a new turbo manifold made by pope530 which is delayed some 10 months lol... new downpipe, exhaust, new brakes, arms, struts/springs. basically all the stuff conneced to the wheels is getting refreshed and rather than make a mad dash on the weekends to get a few little things done, im just leaving it parked until its all done.

so.. i needed something to drive.. wifes mx3 needed a full engine rebuild.. i started to attempt that rebuild sometime in may/june and was on track to get it finished.
replaced the head gasket, all valve stem seals, resurfaced it and basically redid the whole top side.
unnnfortunately, the disty went out.. cheapest one i could find locally, or near was like $250.. plus shipping.. plus not knowing if this was the problem to begin with..

so the better option came up by fluke..
I picked this 1994 Mx-3 GS for $500 locally. the previous owner had rear ended someone and messed up the front end.. though.. conveniently enough i had a green one already.. so thats all in the works as my first mod to the car.

this car wont be getting any major money spent on it. the idea was a cheap daily driver while the msp is down. of course, the $500 price tag didnt really set me up for what a find this car would turn out to be.. it was filthy, full of straw and farm dirt but its runs perfectly. everything works and there is very little rust. the ride is kinda wallowy, so prob messed struts but overall a very nice car for the money.

first projects will be paint related. ill follow up with that on the next post. on the short list otherwise is to fix the exhaust which was hacksawed and ghettod. it farts a lot.. i dont like it.
will probably replace the axleback with a magnaflow sport muffler and try to keep most of the piping. but if it comes to it, ill mock up a replacement in my garage and drop it off at a muffler shop to seal up/put hangers on.

I will lower it. investigating adapting Bj chassis struts/springs to work on it. as well as a bj chassis 5 bolt swap. the msp isnt going anywhere for a while so it will likely be the donor for this and as its closer to completion ill just source replacments/upgrades for those parts.
valk1317

Re: Valk's $500 Daily beater

Post by valk1317 »

First project was to obviously wash the car and clean it up. its from this that i really found what a gem it was for $500 and worth spending a little effort to save. i dont have a lot of money, but i have some time and manual skills by trade as a millwork finisher.
im not an autobody man, but most of the principles are the same.

first thing i did was strip the front body off the 92 before shipping it off to the wrecker for $100.. they even brought back my 5 spoke 94 wheels so now i have a set of winters, summers and all seasons all on mx3 wheels lol....
probably going to sell the all seasons as they are literally brand new.

i wanted to try and get that upper bar from the 92 but its all welded in. so i just stole the crash bar, front support, hood latch ect ect. kept the hood and bumper as the 92 has less rust for refinishing than the 94.

this is what the front end of the 94 looks...

the donor from my 92

i refinished the spoiler, as it was missing chunks of paint showing the white plastic. pretty ugly. im sure ill paint MOST of the car if i do it panel by panel so it doesnt matter if its not a exact match. the right color, just newer and better.

I also have two sets of headlights and taillights. gonna put some clear coat on and polish them up.
one of them polished a little before i decided to clear coat them.

i didn't try to fix all the chips and stuff on this bumper but it looks pretty good. all painted and just needs a quick polish to get a run out.

The front splitter was torn where it meets the bumper. i had to fix it up with some shoegoo and fiberglass tape before filling the chips. that will come a little bit later.

ill also start working on the fenders one weekend coming up. the hood to follow and maybe the roof. so far ive spent $120 at most on paint and clear. car has already had paintwork done i found as i pulled up the windshield rubber seal to see tape lines.
previous work didnt even bother to pull the rubber up and wedge it open lol. just cut along the rubber.. lazy.
valk1317

Post by valk1317 »

Accomplished a few little things today. got my second set of headlights clear coated. ill polish them up a little better in a day or so.
also finished the front splitter. it still has chips and stuff but not really a big deal.

still have to polish the run out of the bumper as well so ill just give all three front end parts a quick polish. quite surprised how nice the valspar clear sprayed out though. doesn't even really need a polish.

ill wait a few weeks to tackle the hood as im out of clear and probably dont have enough base. but maybe ill get a start on it so it can be done in an afternoon one weekend.

this weekend ill get the msp and mx3 up and check whats needed to put bj struts onto the mx3. apparently the fronts are direct swap with some minor shimming. the rears i might ahve to drill new holes for the stuts in teh chassis and shim the knuckles.

valk1317

Post by valk1317 »

finished up the front end this evening. not bad the cost of paint only.

next up, see if i can get bj front struts onto the mx3.
valk1317

Post by valk1317 »

Just cause.. day shot after repairing front end.
valk1317

Post by valk1317 »

so i lifted both cars today and took a strut off the front of each to compare. at first glance they look close enough that they should work. the struts bolt up at both ends but the length of the msp strut is significantly longer than the mx3 strut. I dont think this could be made to work. I could imagine that a msp coilover would work, as it allows a lot of adjustment of the length of the strut body at the bottom, where it bolts to the spindle. so that could work.
i didnt try the rear after this as i know that will require modification to the chassis to work. buuuuuut i think if i was to take the entire spindle assembly off the msp and swap it to the lca of the mx3, it should work. one weekend i might try just that as apparently the splinecount is the same.

basically all this allows me to accomplish is lowering the car for no money lol. though it would have the advantage of bigger msp brakes f/r as well. ill look into it. though after driving the msp for 6-7 years with the eibach springs and tokiko struts. the mx3 is SUPPER wallowy in comparison. suspension is super soft and rolls too much for my liking.

failing that though i suppose cutting the factory springs is an option. i have read many ways its done. some supported and many that arent. i personally dont see a problem cutting half a coil off a non formed spring. though the springs in this car are tapered so i guess i could only do it to the bottom.

meh. just dont wanna spend money on it. thats all.
valk1317

Post by valk1317 »

picked up a strut compressor this weekend and did the redneck lowering of the front.

only took off half a coil on the top and the bottom to try it out. of course, i didnt measure the ride height before so i cant really tell how much it dropped. it did however used to sit higher in the front than the rear, so definitely the right direction.
I havent done the rear yet, but ill probably take a coil out of that and see how it is. maybe a half more out of the front. still a LOT of spring left in ther,e but the fronts dont have that many coils to them so dont wanna cut off an excess amount.

as for ride.. its hard to compare. i did note that the front struts had almost no compression damping when i had them apart.. lots of rebound damping. car doesnt feel that much stiffer than it did but its hard to make a judgement with struts that dont work lol.

edit:
can anyone tell me if these struts will work?
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinf ... cc=1191349

says non abs but im not even sure if my gs has abs or not. i guess i could rip it up the street and find out lol.

Return to “MX-3 Worklogs”