Carbon Fiber Sunroofs!

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
RogueWolf

Carbon Fiber Sunroofs!

Post by RogueWolf »

So I was searching for a lightweight replacement option for the rusting POS moon roof that came standard with our beautiful MX3's.

I came across this Forum on the RX7 Club website... Oh... what's that? Yes... it looks like Mazda was saving money when they were sourcing parts... bulk purchase for those RX7s... and oh, why not use the same ones on the MX3?

http://www.rx7club.com/2nd-generation-s ... 836/page2/

So... I got to thinking... Since so many aftermarket manufacturers are making carbon fiber parts for our beloved MX3, I'm sure I can find a MX3 cf sunroof!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Real-Carbon-Fib ... 1367371615

It's right here available direct from China... sure they call it for the FC (1986-1991) RX7... but we now know that it's the same roof. So for $160 go out and get a CF sunroof! I just placed an order for mine.

I'll show the pics once it's done. :-)
kulluminati777
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Carbon Fiber Sunroofs!

Post by kulluminati777 »

I didnt know FC RX7´s had the same moonroof. Ill wait for your sweet installed pics then ill order mine...
View my worklog: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=77688
RogueWolf

Post by RogueWolf »

Mazda's FC Chassis (RX7) and Mazda's EC Chassis (MX3) share a surprising number of dimensions and parts.
More than I think people realize.
I'm measuring up a friend's fender brace... looks like it's a direct fit to the MX3 too.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ULTRA-RACING-3- ... 9d&vxp=mtr
DeadMaker
antispam: No

Post by DeadMaker »

This would be very interesting if it's a direct fit... :D
Black Mazda Mx3 Rs 1997 B6DE
kulluminati777

Post by kulluminati777 »

RogueWolf wrote:Mazda's FC Chassis (RX7) and Mazda's EC Chassis (MX3) share a surprising number of dimensions and parts.
More than I think people realize.
I'm measuring up a friend's fender brace... looks like it's a direct fit to the MX3 too.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ULTRA-RACING-3- ... 9d&vxp=mtr
I think ball joints, tie rod ends, sunroofs, the ash tray and hatch struts lol are the only thing that have now been brought to my attention that swap over. I wish the rear end bolted up. now that would be awesome. Make some custom mounts bolt the rear end up and you would have a RWD rotory MX3 easily. For some reason i think the MS LCA brace and the rear strut brace would fit an MX3 as well. As far as that fender bar....I highly doubt it. The MX3 doesnt have that much space between the wheel and door.

I thought maybe this one would fit but it doesnt come over the wheel well enough i think for it to bolt to an MX3

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ULTRA-RACING-ST ... 58&vxp=mtr

and seeing how long it takes to make and ship i just ordered the sunroof. Im sure it fits after reading that rx7 thread. There is also a kid with a FC and i looked at his rusty moonroof and its spot on similar. Ill sell him my mint black one and make some money back :lol: :lol:
RogueWolf

Post by RogueWolf »

Now if only we were to find a Carbon Fiber Hatch...
posey92

Post by posey92 »

Just make ur own...us fiberglass for the most of it and do the final layer of it with a sheet of carbon fiber... just lay the resin slowly ad steady and use a tooth pic to clear the bubbles what it starts to cure...no need to have a vaccum oven like most places use...
kulluminati777

Post by kulluminati777 »

well I have never been after a cf hatch because then I couldnt put my MS wing on it :( A lexan rear window would be way more beneficial for weight savings. Just wouldnt have the cool factor of the hatch
WhiteFinish

Post by WhiteFinish »

I'm really curious how this looks like on the mx3.
Just another Mx3 freak :)

Feedback topic: Click

Worklog
Worklog click
kulluminati777

Post by kulluminati777 »

It fits just fine bolted right up but you will have to glue bottom headliner piece or drill some holes and fit in the snap holder things into the bottom part of the moonroof other that its straight plug and play :D

Sleeper6

Post by Sleeper6 »

Looks awesome! Go make moon jelly :lol:
92 GS gold (driver) worklog> http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=73405" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
93 GS red (wrecked)
:D I modify my ride so I can drive around the stupid people :D
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

is it any lighter and if it is, does it open/close any better than the stock one?
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by MrMazda92 »

The panel swaps over, the entire assembly does not, from what I have read elsewhere... I believe it was on RX7club.com, and that they were trying to pilfer rust free assemblies from MX-3s. Joke's on them, I've only seen 2 rust free sunroof setups!
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
kulluminati777

Post by kulluminati777 »

I didn't weigh it as my son broke my digital scale jumping on it but the Steel roof had some weight to it. The CF one felt lighter. It was easier to hold and move around thats for sure . My sunroof zips open alot better as well but I greased it while the steel panel was off so I dont know if that was the main factor.
MrMazda92 wrote:The panel swaps over, the entire assembly does not, from what I have read elsewhere... I believe it was on RX7club.com, and that they were trying to pilfer rust free assemblies from MX-3s. Joke's on them, I've only seen 2 rust free sunroof setups!
yeah the first post says it all lol
RogueWolf

Post by RogueWolf »

Dang~! You got yours quick! Mine is STILL in the mail... Go Go Canada Post... :-(

And I will BET that I'll have to pay some kind of customs fee on it too.

Return to “Appearance”