5 Lug Swap American Style

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
posey92
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

5 Lug Swap American Style

Post by posey92 »

So ive been through most of this section and read like 4-5 different threadz on a 5 lug swap. Problem is ime in las vegas and everything I read was using parts from a European car. Id like something j can find at the local yard. Are atleast states side as some cars are hard to find like ours. But I have friends cross us. So anyone state side whos done thjs let me know
WhiteFinish

Re: 5 Lug Swap American Style

Post by WhiteFinish »

Perhaps a bit more search is necessary.
I don't know the details, but I believe mrmazda92 has done a probe rear with mx6 front swap.
Just another Mx3 freak :)

Feedback topic: Click

Worklog
Worklog click
Jforce

Post by Jforce »

Do you have 1st gen mazda Premacy there?

They can be used for the 5 lug swap I believe, they use the same wheelbearing as mx-3 and 323F.

That's only for the hub/lugs, so not usable for any kind of brake upgrade.
kulluminati777

Post by kulluminati777 »

Theres a car that just popped up on the facebook page that used 1st gen probe stuff but i think he pretty much changed out entire suspension and all plus it wasnt him it was the guy that sold it to him. I dont get the big deal of having one more lugnut to take off and put on each wheel. They make every wheel in pretty much every stud size. and us having the same pattern as civics (a car everyone and there mom drives) makes it a plus for us as well and if bigger brakes was your issue you could buy big brake kits and still use mx3 hubs for the price of new wheels all the swap stuff and junk yard 2 pots. :shrug: I dont know thats the way i always seen it but to each there own. I think the effort could be spent on better things. Like mazdaspeed stuff :lol: :lol:
View my worklog: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=77688
AaronTietje
antispam: No

Post by AaronTietje »

1st gen probe hubs.

You must cut the hubs down where they meet the strut. The probe's are wider than the mx-3's.

You will also need to run either rx7 FC ball joints (I believe this is what Tno has on his swap) or a 323 rack (what I'm doing).

The rx7 fc ball joints are longer than the stock mx-3's and the 323 rack is narrower than the mx-3 rack. The reason for the ball joints or the rack is because the probe hub's angle back in toward the car more at the tie rod end..............Or you could always just take a hack saw to the end of your tie rod and hope you don't bugger up your threads.

I haven't gotten the rear swap on my car yet but I do have most of the parts.
We all want to be fast and look cool. Cool changes but fast never does.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

AaronTietje wrote:1st gen probe hubs.

You must cut the hubs down where they meet the strut. The probe's are wider than the mx-3's.

You will also need to run either rx7 FC ball joints (I believe this is what Tno has on his swap) or a 323 rack (what I'm doing).
Aaron is correct, but there are alternatives as well. You could use struts from a Probe/MX-6, or mix-n-match coilovers by replacing the lower perch(for lack of a better word) with that of the MX-6/Probe model.

As for the balljoints, you can use '94+ MX-3 balljoints or the RX-7 units(spaces the hub carrier out a little farther on the bottom).

You will be able to use the MX-3 steering rack, but definitely torque your tie-rod ends down as tight as you can get them, and then adjust them out to what appears to be proper alignment. You can get away without using a bump steer kit, but it may be beneficial. The differences are negligible, and I opted against using a bump steer kit for sheer simplicity.
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
bogaut

Post by bogaut »

kulluminati777 wrote:Theres a car that just popped up on the facebook page that used 1st gen probe stuff but i think he pretty much changed out entire suspension and all plus it wasnt him it was the guy that sold it to him. I dont get the big deal of having one more lugnut to take off and put on each wheel. They make every wheel in pretty much every stud size. and us having the same pattern as civics (a car everyone and there mom drives) makes it a plus for us as well and if bigger brakes was your issue you could buy big brake kits and still use mx3 hubs for the price of new wheels all the swap stuff and junk yard 2 pots. :shrug: I dont know thats the way i always seen it but to each there own. I think the effort could be spent on better things. Like mazdaspeed stuff :lol: :lol:
well integra type r used 5x114 :P i swapped to five lug because i wanted better brakes, plain and simple, i didnt do it for bragging status like some people (tno lol). finding 5x114 wheels in 15 inch is also a pain in the a-- haha
davmac

Post by davmac »

I have not done this, but when I saw it done did the research for future potential. The best link I've found is here at clubprotege.

As for donor cars available in the US and other materials:
1. Large shank 18mm MX3 balljoints

2. 1988-1992 Mazda MX6/626 or 1989-1992 Ford Probe Front hubs, with the NA 2.2L engine. If you get them from GT or probe with V6 the spline count on the hubs is different and will not work with you axles.

3.1988-1992 Mazda MX6/626 or 1989 Ford Probe Rear hubs, from a TURBO or probe with V6 engine, those are the ones with the rear disk brakes, all others with the NA 2.2 will have rear drum brakes. Also you will need the E-brake cables from the donor car as well, as your factory ones will not work, the caliper is on the opposite side of the rotor.
Proud owner of a Faded Red 92 MX-3 GS
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Any and all base model Probe/MX-6 front carriers/spindles are viable donors.

The rears MUST be pulled from an F2T or V6 model. I have yet to see a single set in my area.
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
posey92

Post by posey92 »

I was mostly curious about the bigger brake upgrades...im a junkyard rat. And I barter for 99% of my car stuff. So I dont ever see me spending big money on a big brake kit. I ask the questions then do my insensive research...u find weird things can be made to work...

Unrelated but few years ago I found you could use a Jeep Cherokee TB from the 4.0 Flat 6 on the Chrysler Lebaron 3.0 V6. Same connections cuz both TBs were made by Chrysler:):)
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

posey92 wrote:I was mostly curious about the bigger brake upgrades...im a junkyard rat. And I barter for 99% of my car stuff. So I dont ever see me spending big money on a big brake kit.
I'm right there with you, believe me! There's a reason I didn't jump on the FI bandwagon one day into owning my MX-3, as so many seem wont to do!
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”