How do YOU torque?

Off-Topic Discussions
kulluminati777
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

How do YOU torque?

Post by kulluminati777 »

So say the manual says something needs to be torqued at 12-17 inch lbs.

How do you torque it down? Right at 12? Right at 17? Or maybe in the middle say 14? Or does it really not matter as long as its in that range?
View my worklog: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=77688
RobMinhas

Re: How do YOU torque?

Post by RobMinhas »

If it's inch pounds i do it in the middle or to the closest multiple of five, just because my TQ wrench is easy to set at denominations of five.

If it's foot pounds I do it right in the middle, both my Mastercraft and Mac one are a PITA to wind up or down but I don't want to torque to the least amount needed.
Daninski wrote:This is my MX3. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My MX3 is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I master my life. My MX3, without me, is useless. Without my MX3, I am useless. I must fire up my MX3 true. I must drive straighter than any Honda driver who is trying to own me. I must own him before he owns me.
kulluminati777

Post by kulluminati777 »

I thought so. Thats how i do it as well. In the middle number as possible. Im asking because I just replaced my oil cooler. New OEM gasket. Torqued to spec right in the middle of what that manual wanted but it seems to be leaking AGAIN. I was just curious how others do it. Do you recommend a re torque of stuff after its heated up and cooled down?
View my worklog: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=77688
crazycanadian

Post by crazycanadian »

kulluminati777 wrote:I thought so. Thats how i do it as well. In the middle number as possible. Im asking because I just replaced my oil cooler. New OEM gasket. Torqued to spec right in the middle of what that manual wanted but it seems to be leaking AGAIN. I was just curious how others do it. Do you recommend a re torque of stuff after its heated up and cooled down?
Often times its not just the gasket thats leaking... sometimes its the pressure sensor, or possibly a cracked hosing...

I actually don't torque anything like that acording to the books.. I go by feel with a hand wrench most of the time..

Plus when you torque something with a torque wrench its very important the threads are clean, the bolts screw in and out by hand easy... When the wrench clicks you want it to happen while you are turning the bolt at a bit of a slow consistent speed...

When gaskets come into play you have go back and double check the torque, often times the gasket squishes leaving your first bolt loose..
racycle

Post by racycle »

Depending on the task I usually do it in the middle + quarter/half turn

racycle's Worklog!
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=76991
-RIP

Current Toy
http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=80470

Please don't tap on the hood. It disturbs the gerbils.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by MrMazda92 »

I use the middle for anything with short thread depth, narrow bolts, etc. that run higher risk of being stripped.

Anything larger, with deep threads, I run the "max" torque.
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

I always go just shy of max reason being I've never heard of some thing getting tighter but I have seen torques drop after use from gaskets flattening out or what ever. Be sure to have your toque wrench calibrated as well to be sure it's actually applying the correct torque. As far as stripping the threads I'd rather have them strip while I'm torquing than strip when I'm driving down the road. Go Max or Go Home. :lol:
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Return to “Off-Topic”