Leather seat cover - How to?

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
Lesley

Leather seat cover - How to?

Post by Lesley »

Hey guys
Is there a "how to" on installing leather seat skins? I did a search, but wasn't able to find any info. Just purchased some from another member, interested in doing this myself if possible.

thanks! :)
92 Mx3 GS KLZE 5 speed
97 Dodge Dakota - Boyd rims, custom built 5.9 360, custom tranny with kevlar guts and shift kit. Too many upgrades to list.
92 Mazda 323 - winter beater

mx3 by Leadfoot Lesley, on Flickr
RobMinhas
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Leather seat cover - How to?

Post by RobMinhas »

Did you buy the covers or the seats? If you bought the covers you should buy some hog clamp(?) pliers, they are specifically for upholstery, it will save you massive hassle. You'll have to pull the covers off of a 92-93 set of seats and install the leather ones over top and either reuse the clamps or get some quality zip ties and use those.

if it's the whole seat assembly its just four bolts for the front seats, each. And then the rear upper bench has two bolts on each side that are accessed from lifting the carpet on the trunk. The bottom bench just needs to be carefully pulled out, I don't know of a trick to do it, maybe someone else can chime in.
Daninski wrote:This is my MX3. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My MX3 is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I master my life. My MX3, without me, is useless. Without my MX3, I am useless. I must fire up my MX3 true. I must drive straighter than any Honda driver who is trying to own me. I must own him before he owns me.
Lesley

Post by Lesley »

Thanks Rob!

I just bought the covers. My seats are in really good shape, and it didn't make sense to pay to ship them. I've got the car stored in a friend's heated hangar this winter, so I'll be able to get some work done to it, and leather seats were high on my list.
92 Mx3 GS KLZE 5 speed
97 Dodge Dakota - Boyd rims, custom built 5.9 360, custom tranny with kevlar guts and shift kit. Too many upgrades to list.

RobMinhas

Post by RobMinhas »

Oh man, doing it in a heated hanger? I hate you sooo much. I get to d--- around with charging systems in my freezing a-- driveway.

I'm about 80% sure there's some info floating around here about someone doing it, and for some reason I think the clamps I was talking about are actually hogtie clips. Can't remember, gonna do a quick search.
Daninski wrote:This is my MX3. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My MX3 is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I master my life. My MX3, without me, is useless. Without my MX3, I am useless. I must fire up my MX3 true. I must drive straighter than any Honda driver who is trying to own me. I must own him before he owns me.
RobMinhas

Post by RobMinhas »

Lesley

Post by Lesley »

Excellent! Thanks so much, that's exactly what I wanted.

Yah, a good friend of mine is an aerospace engineer. He has a CNC mill in that hangar, and he once used it to fab suspension parts for his RX7 - the year he was Solo Sprint champ. Helps to have a good friend who knows his Mazdas :-)
92 Mx3 GS KLZE 5 speed

Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

First off you can go kiss a blarney stone, heated hanger. No one likes a braggart but we do envy them. :lol: Enjoy your new to you leather seats.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Lesley

Post by Lesley »

Hah!
Makes up for having no garage of my own, and wrenching on my god-forsaken truck in the backyard all these years!
92 Mx3 GS KLZE 5 speed

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”