Where to get uncut keys?

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
fillpereira
antispam: No

Where to get uncut keys?

Post by fillpereira »

When I bought my car, I was only given one key and I noticed it had a small hairline crack in it. So I quickly went and got a new cheapy one before anything bad happened.... but it looks like crap. Anyone know where to get a cool key for our cars? I've found normal ones online

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mazda-MX3-MX5-N ... 1294365417

But I remember seeing someone on here bought one that had some red on it and the modern day mazda logo.... I need something with a bit more class :)
RobMinhas
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Where to get uncut keys?

Post by RobMinhas »

You can buy some sweet ones on ebay and get them cut but honestly it seems like all keys made for our car are destined to get damaged due to how long they are.

I've just got one pretty looking OE one, two cut spares and a keyless entry system that I use all of the time to preserve my keys.
Daninski wrote:This is my MX3. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My MX3 is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I master my life. My MX3, without me, is useless. Without my MX3, I am useless. I must fire up my MX3 true. I must drive straighter than any Honda driver who is trying to own me. I must own him before he owns me.
Surgeonasst222

Post by Surgeonasst222 »

I bought 2 from that guy... Good stuff :)
Mazda3 2012 - my NEW DD :mrgreen:
Mazda MX-3 RS 1992 - my project
Ford Focus SE 2010 - sold
Ford Focus SE 2003 - sold

Mazda MX-3 RS 1994 - sold :(
mazda915

Post by mazda915 »

So did I bought two. Great key with old school mazda simble
1992 gs k8ze . 4 inch tip 2.5 cat , cold air intake ,corksport front and rear stut bars home made upper pillar bar , prosport gauges,megan racing 4 pts harnest, 10,000 K HID's , ksport suspension ,
Tavman_1213

Post by Tavman_1213 »

I have 2 of those as well! Better than aftermarket keys because they are about a 1/4" shorter! Tad expensive but worth it in my mind.
93 White RS- BPT Built not bought!!
Worklog: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=78988
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

[How-to] - Extend the life expectancy of your keys:
1. Dry graphite lock lubricant. When you change your clocks(daylight savings), you lube your locks.
2. Keep two keys on your ring: Use one exclusively for the doors, and the other exclusively for the ignition. It helps A LOT to have visibly different keys(my ignition key has a square handle, my door key a round one).
3. When unlocking the doors, ALWAYS jiggle the key slightly to ensure that it is firmly seated within the lock mechanism, before applying torque to unlock the door.
4. This one is definitely optional: If you keep your keys on you 24/7, you will likely sit/step on them eventually. Try to keep them in a coat pocket, instead of pants pocket. Set them on the counter, instead of the floor.

It's that simple... My MX-3 ate a new key every 2-3 months when I first owned it. My current keys(2 of them) are unbent after 24 months of daily use. The door key has a tiny crack starting on one of the deeper cuts, but the ignition key looks and functions as brand new.
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
Mx3forever

Post by Mx3forever »

I would just like to chime in that I too am weary of busted Mx-3 keys.
It's not the length as much as the shallow footprint of the key cut that makes it crack and break when using it on the door locks.

I don't know how many keys I have had made, but it is a lot. Much more than reasonable, considering the number of used cars I have owned which have required NO replacement keys at all. It's just a poor design on the key cut.

The key copies you get at Home Depot and Lowes don't seem to help things much either. It seems to me that the quality of those keys are crappy which exacerbates the problem. I'm getting ready to throw in the towel on another Axxess key with a huge crack in the shallow of the key cut.

There must be quality keys out there that are more prone to resist the door lock twisting which causes this. Unless you damage your key through some random act outside of the car, you should not have to replace your key even every three years. That's ridiculous!

The key I have for my 1991 Mazda Miata doesn't have that type of shallow key cut. It will probably last for the life of the vehicle. This key problem is a manufacturer's defect.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

I have a '98 Camry, and the key that I use daily has been bent a good 20 times in it's 15 years. Straighten it with a pair of pliers, and you're good to go.

The key is thicker, and the "cuts" are rounded, instead of diagonal. That seems to help, as the sharp edges create a weak point, from which cracks will form.
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
Evo_Spec

Post by Evo_Spec »

you can also go to your local mazda dealer to get an OEM key but they're probably more expensive than you may like to pay.

I don't remember how much i paid, i think it was like $15

Return to “Appearance”