Changing a clutch

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
NSlowbro
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Changing a clutch

Post by NSlowbro »

So I was just wondering is this an easy job like I'm a noob at this and my clutch is slipping and I'm planning on doing it myself I just want to know what kind of gear oil I need and where do I fill it and where's the drain plug is at btw I have a 1.6 sohc
Inodoro Pereyra

Re: Changing a clutch

Post by Inodoro Pereyra »

Ok, if you think you need gear oil for the clutch, then this is NOT a job for you. If, on the other hand, you know enough to realize you need the gear oil to refill the tranny, then changing the clutch is a fairly easy task.

You will need some wrenches, a torque wrench ( NON NEGOTIABLE!!!), a crow bar or a big flathead screwdriver (for the CV axles), and just a few hand tools. Your big PITA in the whole job will be to take the axle nuts off. The rest is to take off the tranny, get rid of the old clutch, make sure the pressure plate's surface is good (and ideally send it to a machine shop to be resurfaced, or replace it if needed), assemble the new clutch, center it with the provided centering tool, and torque all the nuts to within specs. And then reassemble everything, and fill up the tranny with the gear oil (75w-90). That's it. The tranny's filling hole is through the speedo's sensor assembly.
Good luck. Take your time, and ask questions BEFORE screwing up. :)
U28sIG5vdyB5b3UgYWxzbyBrbm93IGJhc2UgNjQuLi5odWg/DQpTSE9XIE9GRiEhIQ==

"The more I know man, the more I love my dog."

Diogenes of Sinope.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

The axel nuts can be a real pain. Try an impact wrench to start and if that doesn"t work use a bar with a 5 foot pipe with a 275lb guy bouncing on the end of it. Worked for me. Some people have cut the nuts off with a dremmel tool. http://www.mx-3.com/manuals/showimg.php ... /H-016.gif
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Ya, what wyt said. lol
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

If you have what you need and the ability to remove the tranny you can change the clutch. The only difficult part is getting the tranny lined up and in place. Especially if you don't have help.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
NSlowbro

Post by NSlowbro »

Alright I got my clutch in but there's this wire that got snapped off itsgreen I believe and it went down all the way down on the bottom what kind of sensor is it
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

That's probably the reverse sensor. Its a two wire sensor that screws into the bottom of the tranny. If it broke off right at the sensor your best bet is to hit a junk yard and pull a sensor off any mx-3 gs or any 93-97 v6 Ford probe tranny.

The reverse sensor from a 93-97 mx-6/626 v6 tranny is different.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
NSlowbro

Post by NSlowbro »

Would my reverse light not work or something would I be able to pull it off a automatic
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

No your reverse light won't work and no, the auto is different. IF that's what it is. I'm guessing without a picture of the sensor.
My Worklog
My feedback thread

Return to “Transmissions”