Converting power windows to manual windows?

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
spike876
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Converting power windows to manual windows?

Post by spike876 »

Is there a way to convert the power windows into manual ones? I bought my mx recently and don't have the lock/unlock button on my window controls and really don't feel like spending big bucks on a replacement.
Infernal Darkness.
kulluminati777

Re: Converting power windows to manual windows?

Post by kulluminati777 »

It would be cheaper to just get a new switch. you need new door cards if you want it to look clean. cranks and what not. Im not sure what else but a switch is what 50 bucks :shrug:

Check ebay or post in the want to buy section. Im sure members have extras

I believe there is ways to fix your switch as well...
View my worklog: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=77688
ninjajim4

Post by ninjajim4 »

there IS no lock/unlock button on ANY mx-3. if you push the driver's side lock button shut, or open, the passenger side does the same. that's all you get.

seems pretty silly to me to take away even MORE functionality because you're missing some already. get keyless entry installed. be aware you're going to need an extra actuator for the driver's side.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

You talking about locking the locks, or locking the windows?

I don't see what the issue is exactly, and what you're asking, but I don't think he's talking about door locks

The controls on the drivers side have a switch to lock the windows, but just locked out the passenger's ability to control their own window. If that's broken, it's really no big deal and to convert to manual. I disabled that damn switch anyway, lol
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
spike876

Post by spike876 »

Its the window lock that I'm missing. The passenger side window works fine but only the driver side can roll it down. Its in the lock position for the window so the passenger has no control over the window and the button to unlock it is missing and I figured that switching it over to a manual window system would be cheaper than getting a replacement master window switch.
Infernal Darkness.
ninjajim4

Post by ninjajim4 »

well i guess i misread this whole deal.

like Nd4SpdSe said, there's ways around it. just get 12v over to the passenger side and you're good to go. it might even be the case that someone already bought a replacement window switch that was the wrong year, and that's why its not working for the passenger side controls. look around in the electrical FAQs, i made a thread a long time ago that will help you in either case
King58
antispam: No

Post by King58 »

Sounds like you need a new window switch my friend ! It would be a lot cheaper and whole lot less work to get a switch ($50) than reverting back to a manual system.

94' RS Sold
94' GS Sold

96' GS PROJECT XD
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

ninjajim4 wrote:well i guess i misread this whole deal.

like Nd4SpdSe said, there's ways around it. just get 12v over to the passenger side and you're good to go. it might even be the case that someone already bought a replacement window switch that was the wrong year, and that's why its not working for the passenger side controls. look around in the electrical FAQs, i made a thread a long time ago that will help you in either case
It's even easier than that. You just open the switch assembly, take out the "guts" for the window locking switch, solder the 2 connections for it to be always on, and that's it. I had a diagram for it, but the link it down. I'll have to fire up the "high knee" to get the pic, but I remember it by heart, if you want to take a pic of the backside of the circuit board, I could tell you which to connections to jump.

I needed to do it because I converted my drivers side switch to a passenger side switch (w/JDM door panel), so I had to tuck the control board into the door panel, thus losing access to the switch, and it's just an annowing switch to begin with.

Just thank god your not a Honda, even the driver loses the control of the window with the switch lock on, lol!
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”