How to paint your car at home...quick tutorial.

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

How to paint your car at home...quick tutorial.

Post by mitmaks »

So my brother told a guy I do bodywork/paint and he asked me to do work on his car. I agreed and after ~3 months of working on it on and off I finally got it done. Lots of work had to be done, bumper cover was torn, both fenders, hood, both doors and 1/4 panel were damaged.
Got it all in primer finally and onto the paint.
Finally painted. Real nice color Cypress Green Pearl, very expensive too
Haven't done any buffing/polishing pictures but Ive done polishing on the whole car.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
kulluminati777

Re: How to paint your car at home...quick tutorial.

Post by kulluminati777 »

that looks gorgeous :love: :love:

but i would not try this at home lol....at least until i finish school :welder:
View my worklog: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=77688
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

What system did you use? Base coat clear coat,,water base base coat,,,? You didn't show it but it's a given you 'prepsol'd the car prior to paint. Just askin so we get the whole story. Finally, can we all come by and borrow your garage? :P
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

How do you keep the dust down in such a small space without a downdraft?
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by MrMazda92 »

That came out VERY nice!!

That is definitely a different color than the Subaru "Cypress green pearl", but it looks just as good!
Being darker, it'd probably help to avoid police attention. :D
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

wytbishop wrote:How do you keep the dust down in such a small space without a downdraft?
You just have to sweep real good, put plastic in walls/ceiling (helps a lot), water down the floor night before and a bit before paint, you don't want puddles but wet to where it keeps dust locked down. There were a few dust particles all over it. I wet sanded whole car (except panels that I didn't paint - roof/trunk/rear bumper cover)
You do get dust even with down draft but of course not as much. You want to be clean as well, don't wear a raggedy sweater when painting, wear a clean shoot suit designed for painting. Just before painting you want to use tack rag.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

Daninski wrote:What system did you use? Base coat clear coat,,water base base coat,,,? You didn't show it but it's a given you 'prepsol'd the car prior to paint. Just askin so we get the whole story. Finally, can we all come by and borrow your garage? :P
Yes its base/clear. I don't want to use anything else. I painted a boat for a guy once with single stage metallic and it was pita to keep it wet and not run it, have even metallic without mottling.
Not sure what prepsol is but yes I did prep entire car, scuffed it with gray pad and scuffing compound made specifically for this. Cleaned it with wax and grease remover and tacked it just before shooting it.
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

I'd love to make DIY videos and post on youtube but with full-time job and various projects at home I just don;t have time for that. However if anyone has any questions I'll be happy to answer them. And yes-there is more than one way to cook a chicken :lol: so if your grandpa, dad, uncle did it one way-great. I do it my way and customer likes it, that's all that matters, besides satisfaction knowing that you can make some $$ doing what you love.

Return to “Appearance”