Obd2 swap?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
sinix3
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Obd2 swap?

Post by sinix3 »

Does any one know if it is possible to swap a obd2 wiring harness into an obd1 car?
92 mx3 gs klze swap.
"nitrous is like a hot chick with an std you know you want to hit it but your afraid of the consequences"
Daninski
Supporting Member

Re: Obd2 swap?

Post by Daninski »

2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
crazycanadian

Post by crazycanadian »

sinix3 wrote:Does any one know if it is possible to swap a obd2 wiring harness into an obd1 car?
Sure.. what generation OBD2 harness.. what application.. what are your goals?? OBD2 Mx3's, Mx6's, KLDE 626's, Ford Probes arent true OBD2... They are a hybrid thats trying to be... You can pull codes threw the OBD2 port but you can't get any kind of data... its very limited... OBD1/OBD2 harness are not completely plug and play though... There are minor differences..

626 KLG4's are full OBD2... With the right scan tools, you can pull codes, have access to full OEM style data logging/diagnostics.. Bidirectional controls ect...

I don't know about the millenias since I haven't played with any of them..
sinix3

Post by sinix3 »

so theres not really any point in trying to swap a obd2 into my mx3 klze swap
92 mx3 gs klze swap.
"nitrous is like a hot chick with an std you know you want to hit it but your afraid of the consequences"
crazycanadian

Post by crazycanadian »

sinix3 wrote:so theres not really any point in trying to swap a obd2 into my mx3 klze swap
The big question is why do you want to??
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

I think if your not interested in the trouble aftermarket FCU's can create using an OBD2 harness and ECM is a smart choice. I found the OBD2 ECM corrected the rich fuel condition that plagues the KLZE in our cars. The 220cc injectors in the ZE can deliver almost 22% more fuel than the K8s 180cc ones. While monitoring the system I was seeing up to 20% fuel correction by the ECM in my OBD2 system. I had no problem with a rich running engine and I didn't have to deal with after market tuning. I'm not saying aftermarket is bad I mean I'm using an aftermarket fuel map in my subie I'm just saying. The OBD2 system was dependable and trouble free.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

OK, from my research of wanting to go OBDII I found that if you are running a ZE it is not worth it. There is no OBDII KLZE ECU only DE ECU's. BUT there is the KLK1 ECU and this is an OBDI/OBDII hybrid so really it is neither. A couple problems with it though, first it is Japan only, 2nd it uses a hybrid wire harness that has OBDI plugs as well as OBDII plugs so you have to have an engine bay wire harness. Lastly no one knows what MAF/or VAF is supposed to be coupled with it. I found one importer that advertised this ecu with harness on a ZE but did not have the MAF/VAF to go along with it. From all the gurus I talked to no one in the states has successfully gotten this ecu to work.

If you were going to do a KLG4 or KLDE swap I would say do it, there is a guy on MX6 club that makes a OBDI to OBDII adapter harness that is plug and play for 100 bucks with a diag port (which really was the only reason I wanted OBDII).
sinix3

Post by sinix3 »

ok well the reason i was thinking about an obd2 swap was because i have a check engine light on all the time but it wasnt before i swapped the computer but when i went to scan it i got no comunication so i did the paper clip trick and its throwing a s--- load of codes so my thought is i have a pooched ecu but i had an idea.. are the ecu wirings the same between a 92 mx3 and a 93 mx6?
92 mx3 gs klze swap.
crazycanadian

Post by crazycanadian »

sinix3 wrote:ok well the reason i was thinking about an obd2 swap was because i have a check engine light on all the time but it wasnt before i swapped the computer but when i went to scan it i got no comunication so i did the paper clip trick and its throwing a s--- load of codes so my thought is i have a pooched ecu but i had an idea.. are the ecu wirings the same between a 92 mx3 and a 93 mx6?
Why not bring your car out to my place in cloverdale this sunday... I'll give you a hand and we can get your issues sorted out...
sinix3

Post by sinix3 »

I work every day unfortionatly i just need to know if the ecu workings are the same because i have a friend going to
Pick a part and he could grab me another ecu because im 85% sure thats the problem
92 mx3 gs klze swap.
crazycanadian

Post by crazycanadian »

I believe they are.. Do you know the number off the ECU you have now?? I might have an ecu you could try..
sinix3

Post by sinix3 »

I have a kl01 i belive its out of the mx6 i used as a parts donor and its running the de maf so i think its a kl01 haha
92 mx3 gs klze swap.
sinix3

Post by sinix3 »

Managed to get my shop computer i communicate with my ecu and i pulled about 5 codes two were for o2s but an air flow meter code and air temp code were there so im thinking its not my ecu but its me maf so i have no idea where to go now lol
92 mx3 gs klze swap.
crazycanadian

Post by crazycanadian »

don't get to caught up in the codes... You can set MAF and O2 codes for a few different reasons that aren't related to the actual sensors...
sinix3

Post by sinix3 »

What else could it be?
92 mx3 gs klze swap.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”