AC- Centrifugal Supercharger

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
Dragon1212
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

AC- Centrifugal Supercharger

Post by Dragon1212 »

Hey guys.. i was up far too late last night... (still up...) So i may be crazy... What about a Centrifugal Supercharger... Mounted where the AC compressor is on the cars without AC.... and if you were willing to risk it, you could also run a ram air setup as well...

Reason I ask is the car i just bought doesn't have AC in it anymore... and I've lived this long without mine charged in the blue one.. So why couldn't i Fill the Hole with something a little more.. FUN!

Now I wrote this before Browsing, and then put it in the clipboard, and then browsed here and found some reposted info from before i was here explaining why that doesn't really help for street use. Now i do a lot of highway driving and in the winter sometimes having that little extra go passing a semi being pushed into your lane in the wind is handy.. so it would make sense there.

BUT! I had another crazy idea... because their boost power is directly proportioned to the speed of the engine.. Could we put a Clutched Pully on it to connect and disconnect it, and run gear ratios making it turn extremely fast at low - mid RPM, making the compression, and then have it cut out when the boost reaches the point that the motor wouldn't be able to take it, at which point the engines horsepower would be what you ride on.. If I am right wouldn't that system work out to be much smaller than the Eaton M62 I read about, and still allow for the Alternator to be placed above the CFSC and not have to be shafted to the other side of the engine?

If that works a Megasquirt would be absolutely essential to handle the sudden pressure drop..

Just a Overtired thought... :freak:
Or a :throwup: Thought?

EDIT:
Vortec V-5 works down to 1.5L is wat it says but its a whopping $2417
http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/product.php?p=13
Last edited by Dragon1212 on January 17th, 2013, 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Worklog for the Blue One
Worklog for the KLZE
First Car, And My baby... $550 To buy and repair from Write-off... The radio and amp that was in it was worth more than that!!!.
Hunting For a Supra MKIV, but I'll never get one. Still Hunting.
marcdh

Re: AC- Centrifugal Supercharger

Post by marcdh »

There was a guy on probetalk, though it may have been an mx6 had a rotrex or paxton, worth a search! Definitely the way to more power over the usual m62 IMO.
AZ-3 1498cc Turbo! EVO 8 turbo and manifold, 5 stud swap, SSR Type C, DIYPNP seq Megasquirt
Mx-3 2.5 V6 Turbo 291 BHP 251 lbft @ 8psi - Retired due to rust and back at uni
View Worklog
weede_klze
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by weede_klze »

Vortech has much more efficiency than eaton m62 - is the good way to have more power without any lag. Rotrex has even better supercharger but with external cooling.
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

There were several probe's and MX-6's with the Paxton style back in the day. would be pretty straight forward.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/241997/19 ... be/page-2/
Last edited by Josh on January 21st, 2013, 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Josh wrote:There were several probs and MX-6's with the Paxton style back in the day. would be pretty straight forward.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/241997/19 ... be/page-2/
There's a green Mx-3 (pic in the High Knee back home) and it's got a Paxton-style with a "2.7L" KL. That pic is pre-2002.

No way to get a centrifical S/C in the place of the A/C, as you can tell by the pics in the Probe, you need to run a shaft and mount it on the passenger side for room. The Roots is much more compact (in the right orientation) to fit in that spot, and even then there's not much room to spare.

You would have to design a clutch system. The shaft, as it's been done, can't just be made with regular parts, it needs to be precise and can handle the speeds it'll be driven at. The clutch on the M62 is a magnetic type. Not sure if the A/C compressor is magnetic, but could always use that as a base for your design if it is, and if it's possible.

Although it's not exactly that, you could just make a system to open the wastegate so it doesn't generate boost. As long as it's not compressing air, the load on the motor would be minimal to just spinning a free running impellar
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project

Return to “Forced Induction”