kulluminati777 - 1993 マツダスピード MX-3 You will be missed

In this section, Users can post worklogs for their vehicle and show users their projects. (MX-3 ONLY!). Please create only ONE topic when starting a project, and DO NOT create 2 worklogs for the same vehicle, even though they are different projects. READ THE STICKY!
kulluminati777
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: kulluminati777- Operation KLZE

Post by kulluminati777 »

So, the swap got pushed back AGAIN :evil: :evil: and to put the icing on the cake the K8 left me stranded on the side of the road for the 1000th time. I guarantee my wife and I hold the record for most times stuck on the side of the road in the SAME MX3 :evil: This chassis has to be cursed or haunted.....

I was coming back from the pic n pull (my new hangout spot :lol: ) and the engine just shut off without warning, I thought oh man the timing belt snapped AGAIN but I had just put a good brand new belt on so it cant be. I lift up the hood and nothing looks out of the norm I even look under the car for oil spewing out thinking maybe the engine blew and nothing. I even pulled the timing cover off to look at the belt and all was fine. Meanwhile 1000mph traffic is whizzing an inch away from my car but as much times as I have been stranded im used to it by now :lol: Anyway I get back in and try the key and the car fires right up :?: :?: :?: :?:

So I drive off. About 5 minutes later the same issue. A tow truck arrives that was just passing by and I find out my car is too low I would have to wait for the flatbed truck to arrive. I get in and try the key for shits and giggles and it fires up again :?: :?: :?: I wait with the tow dude for about 10 minutes with the car idling and all seems grand. So i tell the guy ill "nurse" the car home.

About a mile down the road the car stumbles a bit and back fires but doesnt shut off. It just keeps truckin home......

Im thinking ignition problem somewhere.

I have an external coil and HEI but the stumble and back fire was just like my MX6 when I had disty problems but that car did it all the time until I changed the disty and not just once.

Im thinking the coil is the culprit. Its a normal blaster 3 and my suspension is HARD. When I was in germany it was never that bad but american highways are in TERRIBLE shape. Literally pot holes in the middle of the lane....Rain grooves for miles. Whats that about?? I was in europe WAAAAAY to long. I dont remember the interstates and highways in this condition. So the car is hoping and bumping around alot and my coil is right on the frame of the car shaking and boping around with it. They make a high vibration coil for a reason. Im thinking my coil is bad or going bad because its getting shaking around a bit :shrug:
View my worklog: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=77688
AaronTietje
antispam: No

Post by AaronTietje »

That's just plain annoying. How does your wife react to the "break-downs"?

The little trip I took down to ocean city this last fall was much simular in my mx-3. I "broke-down" 7 times with my wife in the car (she was ok with it tho. It actually got kinda funny). :D Most of the time I just had to sit for a wile and it eventually started up. My problem is with my AEM piggyback. :shrug:
We all want to be fast and look cool. Cool changes but fast never does.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

I saw your post in the V6 section man. :(

I hope you stick it out, and don't part the car out. You've put way too much into it to give up like that! I'm having a hard time with my '92 right now as well, but I know that I'd regret selling her if I did go that route.

Stick it out, you know you love the car too much to give up like that! :)
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
kulluminati777

Post by kulluminati777 »

AaronTietje wrote:That's just plain annoying. How does your wife react to the "break-downs"?

The little trip I took down to ocean city this last fall was much simular in my mx-3. I "broke-down" 7 times with my wife in the car (she was ok with it tho. It actually got kinda funny). :D Most of the time I just had to sit for a wile and it eventually started up. My problem is with my AEM piggyback. :shrug:
When im not in the car she goes CRAZY. Especially when she used to visit her aunt back in germany. But the TERRIBLE yet preventable break downs always happen to her so i cant blame her. Water pump was due for replacement and I was like "oh yeah next week" and on her way back the engine overheated cause the pump failed. She said smoke was everywhere. It was cold that night too. Luckily in germany truckers dont kill you and then wear you face as a hat and one actually let her wait in his truck till I got there (about 2 hours) he even put the car in the extra space on his car carrier that had audis and porsches on the back and took it within 15 minutes of our house because he was going that way anyway.

Or when she was driving at night and the charge light was already kind of on and dim here and there but again I was like "oh yeah we will replace it next week" and sure enough shes going down the autobahn when the lights and everything go off :o :o

She has plenty of more break downs but ill save it for another time lol

We have broke down together as well but i always act like its nothing serious just so she isnt adding to the stress. So she is pretty cool about it.

2 going on 3 engines (ZE swap I hope) and about 10ish side of the road stranded adventures i think she hates the car with a passion. Although she doesnt say that.
MrMazda92 wrote:I saw your post in the V6 section man. :(

I hope you stick it out, and don't part the car out. You've put way too much into it to give up like that! I'm having a hard time with my '92 right now as well, but I know that I'd regret selling her if I did go that route.

Stick it out, you know you love the car too much to give up like that! :)

I know I would regret it. I bought the car for my wife years ago but i LOVE it and have made it our car that we share. Its just the thought comes across my mind and putting it into action is so tempting. Getting rid of it and getting a car that is less of a diva (high maintenance).... the longest we have gone is 6 months with no mechanical issues :shock: I need a break lol. I dont blame mazda either. My MX6 was a warrior. 2 years I went with the normal maintenance everyone does. I didnt have to replace anything for eons. Like I said this chassis is haunted. There is no other explanation :lol:
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

I've been debating the exact same thing... The worst part, is that the only car I could see myself enjoying equally would take just as much work to keep it on the road! :lol:

I got extremely lucky with my '92 so far, the only real issues that have popped up so far came from user error and a seized steering rack.

There's a simple enough solution, replace EVERYTHING! :wink: I always envied those who buy a new MX-3 and do ball joints, tie rods(inner/outer), wheel bearings, timing kit, w. pump, fuel pump/filter, plugs/wires, basically the works.

You never see them complaining about maintenance, but you do see their cars constantly as a work in progress... Hmm, I think I found the solution to a hassle free MX-3. Never drive it! :lol:
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
kulluminati777

Post by kulluminati777 »

:lol: :lol: I feel like I have already replaced everything

So I got the car running. SuperK suggested the VAF so I switched it out with my spare and the car fired up and stayed on more then 10 minutes. Also the ZE journey from california to washington is in full effect for this samstag (german for saturday :lol: )

I was thinking of taking the 101 back and drive the coast and take 100 pics :mrgreen:

Also I got my rear mudflaps and some bondo so the rear lip will be redone next week :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
kulluminati777

Post by kulluminati777 »

SOOOOO before my ZE swap I took the K8 to get smogged and failed MISERABLY!!! I am actually a gross polluter lol. I think my CAT is no good for california emissions. I replaced it a few years ago BUT it was some no name ebay cat I think california cars have a stronger one. Besides the timing issue im 99.9% sure thats my problem :mrgreen:

bogaut

Post by bogaut »

man im glad oregon only does a sniffer in the exhaust and no dyno or anything like that.
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

kulluminati777 wrote: Also got some MSD wires and O2 sensors because mine are going bad
What is the part number for those wires? They are for the 2.5l v6? I looked online and I didn't see a Ford Probe GT or any Mazdas listed for that brand...
kulluminati777

Post by kulluminati777 »

there a universal application V8. Fowljesse i believe is due the credit of the idea. All you have to do is take your boots that go to the spark plug size off your current plugs. Then cut these to the length you need. You get 8 so your chances of botching the project a slim. The disty side of the wire is already go to be plugged in.

On a more terrible note. I possibly have thrown in the towel. My trip to washington was a bust. I drove all the way up there from california and stayed a few days too many in hotels/food/gas. It adds up and I missed my first day of class because I was STRANDED in the middle of no where. Then had to pay an arm and a leg to get the corpse back home...... If the swap was a success I wouldnt have minded but so far it wasnt. While the little time I spent driving the ZE was AMAZING. I cant believe just thinking that there was a K8 in there makes me want to vomit :throwup: The HP improvment was AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The ZE had a vacuum leak on the throttle body but was drivable. I later found out the IAC in the throttle body was bad so while driving home the car lost all the coolant and overheated...how bad I dont know...... I just went to the pick and pull and got another kl47 throttle body. If the car doesnt fire up once i have everything bolted up ill have to part out the car of everything to make up the difference of buying the chunk of metal (engine) and going up there and installing it. So be ready to call dibs. I have alot a rare stuff too :cry:

Trust me there is no talking me out or "hey man come on try this and that" When real life kicks you in the nuts you have no choice but to fall down and cry.....

I have gone through too much with this car and this is the straw that broke the camels back....

Here is some memories of my KLsleezy swap......

The last pic of the old crusty K8

The BEAST!

WagZE putting the finishing touches on before the swap

OH MY GOD WHERES MY ENGINE!!!!!

Got the wiring harness all redone and everything looking clean and new :mrgreen:

The ZE monster plopped in :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Isnt it just lovely! Oh man what fun was it to drive.

This may be the last picture of my car on the forum......

Wish me luck......
AaronTietje

Post by AaronTietje »

Wishing you the best of Luck man. :sadwavey:
We all want to be fast and look cool. Cool changes but fast never does.
RobMinhas

Post by RobMinhas »

Dude, you've spent wayyy too much time and money on this car to give up 'cause of an engine problem, I doubt the block is cracked and at worst it's a head gaskets that'll need to be replaced(severely doubt that too). Install the parts and top of the coolant and you'll be fine.

Did you get the overheat light on your dash? I had that happen to me once when a rad hose split and I just pulled over, topped it off with water, limped it home and replaced the hose, that was 15,000KMs ago.
Daninski wrote:This is my MX3. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My MX3 is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I master my life. My MX3, without me, is useless. Without my MX3, I am useless. I must fire up my MX3 true. I must drive straighter than any Honda driver who is trying to own me. I must own him before he owns me.
kulluminati777

Post by kulluminati777 »

I replaced the coolant and the $90 USED throttle body from the pick N rob and Well the vacuum leak is gone and this KLZE purrs like a kitten....oh baby I cant wait to drive it.....oh wait whats that smell...whats that in my rear view..........

Head gaskets gone out the tail pipe im sure :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying:

RobMinhas

Post by RobMinhas »

Did it go away after a bit or did it just keep spitting out white smoke? Could be that theres just coolant in the combustion chamber from when it was leaking out?
Daninski wrote:This is my MX3. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My MX3 is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I master my life. My MX3, without me, is useless. Without my MX3, I am useless. I must fire up my MX3 true. I must drive straighter than any Honda driver who is trying to own me. I must own him before he owns me.
kulluminati777

Post by kulluminati777 »

Ill leave it on for about 15 20 minutes and see what happens i cut it right off after the pics because coolant was spraying all over the engine bay again....

Return to “MX-3 Worklogs”