[Guide]Converting powersteering rack to manual

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

[Guide]Converting powersteering rack to manual

Post by MrMazda92 »

All credit for this guide goes to FE3-323 over at ClubProtege.com, all I did was clean it up a little.

DISCLAIMER: I would like to remind you at this point that anybody following this guide does so at their own risk. This guide is a how-to, and neither the original author nor I may be held accountable for what you do to your own vehicle. Plan ahead, wrench carefully, and thoroughly test your modifications before driving on public roads.

Tools Needed:
12mm wrench or socket
line wrench
adjustable wrenches 1 huge 1 medium
snap ring pliers
14mm socket- 1/2" drive
15mm socket-1/2" drive
1/2" extension
1/2" drive ratchet
hammer
bench grinder/ angle grinder/ hacksaw

Step 1. remove the Powersteering metal lines. this may require a torch to make life easier, depending on your climate.
This can be done with a line wrench I cannot remember the size of the line wrench used @ this time.
here is a picture of the lines removed.

Step 2 involves removing the inner tie rod ends. This either requires a very large wrench or a special tool, Either situation the steering rack MUST be attached to the subframe. If you attempt this in a bench vise you will damage or destroy the steering rack.
In all circumstances the metal ties are probably going to break, I opted for zipties as a ready solution to the install.
ImageImageImageImage

Step 3 invovles locating the rear rack guide & removing it.
This is located on the back side of the steering rack & held into place with a securing lock nut on a cap system.

loosen the retaining nut from the cap as noted in the pics. do this while holding the cap from spinning.
after the retaining nut is removed, unscrew the cap from the rack.
Make sure to disassemble the parts in an order that you can remember for reinstall

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

This will give way to a spring & the white plastic rack guide.
ImageImageImageImage

I found it easy to use the snap ring pliers to remove the plastic rack guide
ImageImageImage

Step 4 we start out by locating the pinion shaft cap. which is on the bottom of the steering rack, directly in line with the mid shaft from the steering column.
next, find yourself removing the cap to show way to a 15mm nut holding the pinion shaft in place.

ImageImageImage

Undo the 15mm nut accordingly & set it aside with the cap.
ImageImage

Step 5 flip to the top of the rack & remove the mid shaft of the steering column with the 12mm socket/wrench

Once you've taken this off grap your snap ring pliers & proceed to remove the snap ring on the top, this may be dirty if so search for it.
ImageImage

once you've removed the snap ring gently jiggle the pinion shaft in an upwards motion pulling it out. It may require extremely gentle tapping on the bottom of the pinion shaft to pop it out.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Step 6 is the hardest part of the entire dissasembly.
The endcap on this steering rack posed a very very large problem. a semi self weld between aluminum & steel. which required the force of the "huge adjustable wrench" after heating & cutting 2 slots in the end tube to release tension. Pray & hope you don't have this much trouble.

mind you the endcap was also ground to have flat spots so i could use a large wrench to turn itut. this also may not be a large problem pray that you don't have to take this extent.

removal of the endcap is straight forward beyond that. just unscrew it.

add the cap to the growing pile of parts.
ImageImageImageImage

Step 7 this part is as straight forward as it gets.
pull the rack out. If it doesn't go out one way it goes out the other.
once you pull it out you'll see this.

remove any rubber seals that may be inside of the rack body.
ImageImageImage

Step 8 is by far the most skeptical part of this
you will remove the rubber o-ring from the part noted in this picture, & then grind through the part & knock it off of the shaft.

this must be done with EXTREME care, as 1 nick to the shaft will have to be smoothed out ultimately. & thats not a fun task. so, don't nick the shaft & use caution in removing the metal ring.
i reccomend a dremel & a cutting disc if you have one present & available.

remove the rubber seals as well, none of them are needed anymore. as it does not hold fluid.

Final Step
Metal lines.... if you can weld cut the metal tubes & slide the fittings off. weld the hole shut & insert the fittings.
If you don't have a welder, crimp them very well & short keep them out of the way.

Reassemble everything in the reverse order of dissasembly. LUBRICATE EVERYTHING with a very high end grease capable of high stress load. extra grease won't hurt anything so load it up.

I don't have torque figures for the nut on the pinion shaft so snug it but don't damage the bearing.

"You have to take that part off. You do not have to CUT it off -- there is a retaining ring that can be pried off and then that should slide off the shaft. Remember, they had to assemble it somehow."
- This last part was a comment on ClubProtege by another member, I can not verify the information, but I figured it was worth mentioning here.
Last edited by MrMazda92 on January 8th, 2013, 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Re: [Guide]Converting powersteering rack to manual

Post by MrMazda92 »

Please sticky this, or move it to the FAQ...
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

I don't think you can ask to have your own posts sticky'd or added to the FAQ, you have to be nominated for such a privileged.

Now ask your self; Is showing people how to modify your steering rack and potentially someone getting into an accident and dying, if something were to go wrong. Worthy of such a privilege as being added to the FAQ's or sticky'd for all of the MX3 world users to see...
MrMazda92 wrote:DISCLAIMER: I would like to remind you at this point that anybody following this guide does so at their own risk. This guide is a how-to, and neither the original author nor I may be held accountable for what you do to your own vehicle. Plan ahead, wrench carefully, and thoroughly test your modifications before driving on public roads.
I guess so you have a disclaimer..

Nice work. :2thumbsup:
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

I have never seen a rule against it, or heard mention of it being inappropriate to request it...

The guide was not written by me. ClubProtege requires registration to view any page in the forums, so I figured I would make this information accessible for those who do not wish to register there. I did spend a fair amount of time re-hosting every one of the images in my own imageshack account, and tidying up the thread to make it a little more concise.

As for the risk of injury or even death, the same could be said about bushing swaps, coilovers, the 323 manual rack swap page, or any other how-to really... I included the disclaimer for that exact reason. :) I want to build the community, not kill it off. :freak:

Thank you Josh.
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

It is a rule but we don't talk about it. That is the first rule of MX-3 club...

I was giving you a bad time :lol:

Edit: why do you not have a log in there? there is good info to be had there.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

I know, I'm just a little sensitive to criticism today(even teasing! :lol: )

Hey now, I do have an account on ClubProtege, but I know from clicking my bookmarks while not being signed in that non-members can't view a damn thing, sadly...

I felt that my contributions to the forum lately had been neutral, if not a little negative, in their nature... Since I'm having a hard time getting my brake setup finished in a timely manner, I figured I would contribute something else in the meantime. :lol:

I'm planning to follow this guide to the letter in a week or so, when I clean up my own powersteering rack... Hopefully it will go a little easier for me than it did for Ryan on ClubProtege. One of the later steps had him hung up for quite a while.
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

Wouldn't it be easier to just swap in a 323 manual rack? they bolt right up. though you would gain a half turn on the turning radius or so.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Josh wrote:Wouldn't it be easier to just swap in a 323 manual rack? they bolt right up. though you would gain a half turn on the turning radius or so.
You would gain one and a half turns, from what I have read... :throwup:

I would take a hit in leverage on the steering rack to save that 1.5 turns any day. Bigger arms, faster turns. :lol:
Think of it like an STS, only with full upperbody effort instead of wrist-flicking! :lol:
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

MrMazda92 wrote:
Josh wrote:Wouldn't it be easier to just swap in a 323 manual rack? they bolt right up. though you would gain a half turn on the turning radius or so.
You would gain one and a half turns, from what I have read... :throwup:

I would take a hit in leverage on the steering rack to save that 1.5 turns any day. Bigger arms, faster turns. :lol:
Think of it like an STS, only with full upperbody effort instead of wrist-flicking! :lol:
That's right I knew it was half something.. :)
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

I almost had an aneurism when I found this guide on ClubProtege. Exciting moment for me, without a doubt! :lol:

For me, I would have done the manual rack swap if I hadn't discovered this first... extra turns lock to lock kept me at bay this long.
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:
mx3matt
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mx3matt »

anyone have any pics of the modded power steering idler mod to delete the pump?

i've got about 2 weeks or less to get that done lol.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Check ProbeTalk...

You'll hate looping the lines, just saying.
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:
mx3matt
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mx3matt »

i'll be doing the rack most likely as well but even if it doesnt happen now it'll happen by summer
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Awesome!

I'll document my own de-power project as well, so I may be able to add photos and info of my own to this guide.
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:
RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

Interesting. I guess if my power steering dies, I may have to do this.

Do you bother removing the PS pump, seems silly to leave dead weight + more obstruction in the engine bay?

If so, what belt do you use?
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”