matts 94 mx-3 gs build. MOARRRRR GOODIES

In this section, Users can post worklogs for their vehicle and show users their projects. (MX-3 ONLY!). Please create only ONE topic when starting a project, and DO NOT create 2 worklogs for the same vehicle, even though they are different projects. READ THE STICKY!
WhiteFinish

Re: matts 94 mx-3 gs build. MOARRRRR GOODIES

Post by WhiteFinish »

Find a headgasket set from this seller on ebay http://mizumoauto.com/

Only use original valvecover gaskets.
Why do you want to have new grommets ? Re use them or take them off a JY engine.

You could order the intake & exhaust gasket from Summit.

Timing belt stuff; also buy it from ebay, just take a bit more reliable brand.
Just another Mx3 freak :)

Feedback topic: Click

Worklog
Worklog click
mx3matt
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mx3matt »

mx3matt

Post by mx3matt »

a friend offered up a pretty clean klde curved neck motor from the importer he works at.

curved neck with clean looking heads for $450. i may just swap this in and build the other de i have. never a bad thing to have a decent spare lol.

he sent me pics from an ad they run.

it looks like one of the newer curved neck ze's to me tho.

the only catch is i have to pick it up myself.
if i skip the warranty and just pay straight cash no tax he thinks his boss will let it go for $350-400 but he's gotta talk to him monday morning.
if i can pick it up for that price i'll swap the timing belt and pulleys and that'll be in there till my other motor can be completed, then keep it as a back up.
good idea?
WhiteFinish

Post by WhiteFinish »

Good find :)
Just another Mx3 freak :)

Feedback topic: Click

Worklog
Worklog click
mx3matt

Post by mx3matt »

I THOUGHT SO...i'm gonna try and lowball a bit and see what i can squeeze.
i just love the look of that intake mani. polished valve covers and black intake is gonna look nice.
i get a really nice paycheque this week, plus i took out some of my vacation pay to pay for the motor and anything that pops up during the swap. i'm gonna replace the inner and outer tie rods while the motors out and that should fix up the vibration hopefully.

really excited that this is finally taking off.
mx3matt

Post by mx3matt »

So I'm going to look at this motor tommorow morning and if it's in good shape I'll be picking it up Friday morning.

Is there anything I need to know about?

Here's a list if what I'm gonna replace right away.

1. Timing belt and water pump.
2. Thermostat.
3. Accesory belts.
4. Spark plugs and pcv.
5. Valve cover gaskets.
6. Intake and exhaust gaskets.
7. Clutch
8. Fuel filter.

Is there anything I'm missing on the list?

Anything I need to prepared for. I know the vacuum routing is a bit different. Are any of the harness connections different? I'm a Lil overwhelmed with how fast everything is coming together. It'll be running off the k8 ecu and vaf until I'm ready to start running with megasquirt.

Still working out where I'll be installing it, I work sunday thru Thursdays but once I decide where it's getting installed i''l be taking Thursday off and making it a three day swap.
Day 1(thursday) will be removal and engine bay cleaning. Will tuck any easy wires and hopefully get the motor bolted back in.
Day 2 I will tuck anything possible(quick tuck) and hopefully have it in running by mid day.
I'll spend the rest of the day getting it running right and taking short test runs around the area.
Day 3 install wideband and put a few hundred km's on it and really giving a good test.

If all goes smooth then i'll be in big boy territory and finally have some real power, I'm feeling pretty comfortable with tunerstudio so once my megasquirt arrives I may dive in and start tuning. Looking forward to some real power finally.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

mx3matt wrote:Are any of the harness connections different?
You sticking with your stock harness? If so, just swap the sensors if anything is different.
mx3matt wrote: It'll be running off the k8 ecu and vaf until I'm ready to start running with megasquirt.
That'll run rich as hell. Would recommend to try to source a KL02 VAF, it's not perfect but it would help a lot. Depends on how fast you plan on getting MS in there. My mileage was horrendous when I ran that way and fortunately my KL36 arrived about a week after.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
mx3matt

Post by mx3matt »

probably a few weeks.
but i'll try to source a kl02 vaf for the meantime.
mx3matt

Post by mx3matt »

i'm gonna be picking it up on friday pending a few conditions.
1. solid compression test.
2. what the motor looks like once the valve covers and timing cover are off.

theres no such thing a good importer i've learned, and its really just the luck of the draw i'm noticing.
i've been to 4 different spots now and they are all the same. motors are just sitting around, i've also noticed almost every single one has broken sensors and broken or damaged power steering pulleys.
this makes me a bit nervous.
mx3matt

Post by mx3matt »

The guy actually tried to tell me he knewnmore about Mazda then i'll ever know. Said that as he was trying to sell me a TRUE klze out ofna millenia. Said it was all about the head stamps and that cams didn't matter lol
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by MrMazda92 »

To be honest, what makes the "True ZE" the real deal are the heads and intake manifold.

The argument about "real ZE vs. Millenia ZE" has been going on for way too long... Same block, same heads minus cams, and the addition of EGR. Most members add the EGR to their "real ZE" when they buy it anyways.

The cams are slightly different, this is true. There is a tiny bit more power available higher up in the RPM range when you use KL31 cams. Cams do matter from a power standpoint, but they don't make the engine. Whenever I see the "Mine's real because it was imported." argument, I ask how long it took to source a Millenia intake for their straightneck ZE. :lol:
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

MrMazda92 wrote:and the addition of EGR.:
Millenia ZE doesn't use the EGR, those parts are there but partially blocked off. Mine didn't have the EGR, the head had the hole but the intake manifold nor the gasket had the corresponding hole.
MrMazda92 wrote: Whenever I see the "Mine's real because it was imported." argument.:
Both have to be imported. It's just a 170hp Millenia DE if it's not. Although they do have square runners, there are oval runner curved-neck DE's as well...
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by MrMazda92 »

I'm misunderstanding what you mean by that...

So you had an EGR hooked up, but it didn't function?
I deleted the EGR from my '93 GS, and it was fully functional before the removal.

You must have had a non Millenia intake manifold(I.e. Eunos 800?) then, because the EGR bolts directly to the IM on the Millenia manifold, and the pipe connects directly to the exhaust.

I find it hard to believe that the cars would be sold domestically with a "fake" EGR system, so I'm thinking that I missed something in your post... :confused2:

I keep hearing this oval runner curveneck rumor, but have never seen any such manifold, or even a photo of one, that wasn't custom welded and ground to shape. There is a modified "oval port" straight neck manifold on PT at the moment, if anybody wants an example.

I hardly believe that removing the EGR and installing KL31 cams nets 30 BHP with no other modification. :roll: You'd be lucky to see that kind of benefit from custom ground cams AND proper tuning. I think it's high time these rumors were either verified or dispelled forever.

I want dyno proof that KL31 cams and an EGR delete net 30 BHP gains on an otherwise stock Millenia KL.
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
mx3matt

Post by mx3matt »

i think he means the egr was connected by electrical connection only. just to keep codes from popping up.

thats how my k8 is now.
mx3matt

Post by mx3matt »

so a bit of an update.
motor swap begins on the 24th :):)
i just couldnt bring myself to pull the trigger on a importer motor, but a deal came up that i couldnt pass on. klde out of a probe probe with a tranny and 5000km fresh clutch.... nice thing about it in the long run is i'm gonna pull the heads off of the motor i have now and spend the rest of the winter building up a nice set of built heads with a combo of possibly interprep valve springs and hopefully i'll find a set of ze or colts cams by then. also scored a millenia intake for free so i'll port match/knife edge everything for spring.

i'm just gonna throw on the timing belt/water pump and vc gaskets with the polished valve covers and wrinkle black intake manifold and call it a day for now.
i may keep the squirt on the shelf until spring too, we'll see if i can be patient for that long.

some pics.

heres a pic of my buddy finally completed kl.

Return to “MX-3 Worklogs”