Custom LSD Axles

New product ideas and status of new product development postings.
bbunkerc397
antispam: No

Custom LSD Axles

Post by bbunkerc397 »

I have developed with the help of two axle shops and a machinist to get together a Mazda Familia GTR left axle that will work with the G5M-R LSD JDM transmissions, we can build as many as requested so if you have a JDM LSD transmission look no further these axles will fit and work. I'm using these exact ones as we speak in my car with no problems in 4 mouths.

The top axle in the picture is the original and lower is custom JDM Familia GTR axle.

We resorted to a totally different inner axel end that would work with little mods.

Measuring of JDM Custom Familia GTR Left axle

Original MX-3 GS Left axle measuring

Comparison photo

Axel Set

JDM Transmission with LSD / NO BAR

Axle installed in JDM transmission

It goes in and seals, the C-Clip snaps in very Nice and with No Play.

If anyone has any inquires please e-mail me at (bbunkerc397@gmail.com) these axles I will be selling them for 500.00 for the pair.

Cheers,
Barry Bunker
Last edited by bbunkerc397 on November 13th, 2012, 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1996 MX-3 KL-ZE with Eunos 800 IM, factory side skirts,. "Owner since 2001 my 14th year"
1992 929s 20B-REW Lowered, 17" chrome Millenia rims, custom black interior. "13th Owner 9th year"
2006 Chevy HHR LT "Bought Brand New - East Side Chevy" Sold to my Dad
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Custom LSD Axles

Post by mitmaks »

What is hp/tq capacity these will hold? How long is warranty?
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
bbunkerc397

Post by bbunkerc397 »

These will hold up to 300hp and are warranty for one year.
1996 MX-3 KL-ZE with Eunos 800 IM, factory side skirts,. "Owner since 2001 my 14th year"
1992 929s 20B-REW Lowered, 17" chrome Millenia rims, custom black interior. "13th Owner 9th year"
kulluminati777

Post by kulluminati777 »

would i need these if i install any LSD or just JDM trans equiped with LSD´s
View my worklog: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=77688
bbunkerc397

Post by bbunkerc397 »

Just JDM transmission I believe.
bbunkerc397

Post by bbunkerc397 »

A few people have asked how did I do it well lots of brainstorming and good luck :D we used a different axle end that required little modification and a different length shaft. The oiling grooves were already their and machinist had to machine little material off to get it to work. We'll some parts came from different car manufactures and it is a mismatch of parts, probably even the original Familiar gtr ones are of the same mismatch of parts. I'm not too sure the exact parts that were used because we tried 20 to 30 different ends and shafts before we got my car right. :mrgreen:
_-Night-Shade-_

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ »

500 bucks for a pair of axles? Getting an Mfactory LSD is probably more cost efficient...
--------------------------------------------
[WORKLOG] [FOR SALE] [Wishlist] [Feedback]
projectB10
Supporting Member

Post by projectB10 »

_-Night-Shade-_ wrote:500 bucks for a pair of axles? Getting an Mfactory LSD is probably more cost efficient...
depends on your starting point I guess. If you already have got your hands on an OEM vLSD equipped Transaxle...but without the matching vLSD driver side axle... then this is an interesting way to complete the transmission package.

The Mfactory LSD path requires a strip down of the OEM non LSD transaxle, measuring/ensuring shim preload on the rebuild, removal of ring and pinion, fixing the ring to the new MFactory LSD, shaft bearing and speedo gear replacement etc etc.....

I agree that the MFactory helical LSD option is superior for a couple of reasons...vLSD units have a finite life and you can neverreally be sure what the service life to date of a 2nd hand OEM unit has been and a helical LSD (say 1.5 way) offers much better track/road performance.
Eunos Presso HI-XS, KLZE, KL47 IM+TB, MX6 LSD box OEM front s/bar, Outlaw IM+TB thermalbloks, lightened K801 fly, XTD Stage 3 clutch & cover balanced to f/wheel, mbolin tranny saver , short shifter, SRD shifter bushings- H&R Springs and Koni inserts, MSpeed engine mounts, SS brake and clutch lines, PRM CAI, Whiteline rear strut and swaybar, 7x17 Konig/Maxxim Fourteen rims, and stuff.
ganue
Supporting Member

Post by ganue »

Check your dimensions and verify the spline engagement - does the circlip seat??!!!

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=70010&start=37

Been there done that....

What did you do about the intermediate shaft? The USDM's don't fit on the LSDs - I had to machine mine (controversially) down. Over 35,000 miles later and behind a KLZE - and no issues....
1993 GS SE - "slow" (Stock) - SOLD
1993 GS SE - "fast" (Curved neck KLZE, OBX headers, custom 2.5" exhaust, KL36 ECU, Exedy Probe GT clutch, KL36 LSD - the real one, Lantis Type R lefthand halfshaft - unfortunately worth mentioning)- SOLD

1993 GS SE - acquired 4/28/2013, SOLD February 28, 2015

1985 RX-7 GSL-SE - SOLD
2003 VW GTI 1.8T
2009 Mazda5 Grand Touring
_-Night-Shade-_

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ »

projectB10 wrote:
_-Night-Shade-_ wrote:500 bucks for a pair of axles? Getting an Mfactory LSD is probably more cost efficient...
depends on your starting point I guess. If you already have got your hands on an OEM vLSD equipped Transaxle...but without the matching vLSD driver side axle... then this is an interesting way to complete the transmission package.

The Mfactory LSD path requires a strip down of the OEM non LSD transaxle, measuring/ensuring shim preload on the rebuild, removal of ring and pinion, fixing the ring to the new MFactory LSD, shaft bearing and speedo gear replacement etc etc.....

I agree that the MFactory helical LSD option is superior for a couple of reasons...vLSD units have a finite life and you can neverreally be sure what the service life to date of a 2nd hand OEM unit has been and a helical LSD (say 1.5 way) offers much better track/road performance.
Plus what happens if you break/have to replace them? Another 500 bucks. I'd rather do a diff swap once and not worry about it...
--------------------------------------------
[WORKLOG] [FOR SALE] [Wishlist] [Feedback]
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

I could of got a trans with LSD for $150 so with the $500 axles it would of been a good deal but the question of replacing axles,,. Any deal if someone buys a second pair or axles?
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
projectB10
Supporting Member

Post by projectB10 »

_-Night-Shade-_ wrote:
projectB10 wrote:
depends on your starting point I guess. If you already have got your hands on an OEM vLSD equipped Transaxle...but without the matching vLSD driver side axle... then this is an interesting way to complete the transmission package......
Plus what happens if you break/have to replace them? Another 500 bucks. I'd rather do a diff swap once and not worry about it...
The OEM Mazda transaxle would be toast (LSD or no LSD) long before the axle/axles would fail ............. :shrug:
Eunos Presso HI-XS, KLZE, KL47 IM+TB, MX6 LSD box OEM front s/bar, Outlaw IM+TB thermalbloks, lightened K801 fly, XTD Stage 3 clutch & cover balanced to f/wheel, mbolin tranny saver , short shifter, SRD shifter bushings- H&R Springs and Koni inserts, MSpeed engine mounts, SS brake and clutch lines, PRM CAI, Whiteline rear strut and swaybar, 7x17 Konig/Maxxim Fourteen rims, and stuff.
bbunkerc397

Post by bbunkerc397 »

ganue wrote:Check your dimensions and verify the spline engagement - does the circlip seat??!!!

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=70010&start=37

Been there done that....

What did you do about the intermediate shaft? The USDM's don't fit on the LSDs - I had to machine mine (controversially) down. Over 35,000 miles later and behind a KLZE - and no issues....

The intermediate shaft stayed the same. I have a JDM LSD intermediate shaft that I compared it to the GS shaft and the spline count and length were the same, it didn't even have oiling groves, I'll take some pictures of it some time. As far as the axle goes I've put about 15,000 km on it with no issues and the M factory LSD performs great as far as using it in a racing environment it wasn't designed for that purpose only for road use I believe. I drive my car sporty and that's it, I don't race and if people want a racing transmission then use the helical LSD one as it has proven track record.

The only one that people really need is the special drivers side axle and I can just have that one side made for like 250 + shipping, and it is the same as "ganue" Lantis Type R and mine that I'm currently using. All the right side axle's stay the same their is NO differences, if you want better oiling in the intermediate shaft I can have that machined in for 75.00 like I have done with mine as well.

Cheers,
ruthless_mx3

Post by ruthless_mx3 »

wow this is crazy seeing this topic again since I was going through these same issues 7 years ago. At that time it cost me over a thousand bucks for custom fit axles. I've since ditched the jdm lsd and am running the quaife itb. The traction gain from the quaife is far superior to the jdm unit. The traction improvement with the jdm lsd was nowhere's near worth the money to make it work. On top of all the money it took to make it work, when it broke it was a PAIN to find replacement parts (my diff clutchpacks blew up). If I could go back in time I would run as far away from the jdm diff as I could and run straight to the quaife. Even now seeing that axles can be attained for only 250 I would still run far far away. The major downfall though of the quaife is its astronomical $1800 price tag and the minor case modification needed for it to fit properly. (either shave a little bit of case and the shifter guide plate thing or shave a little off the heads of the ring gear bolts)
Either way you choose, I wish everyone luck
93 MX3 GS SE KLZE -- RIP May 1, 2011
14.007 @ 98.46 1.991 60ft -- the only time she made it to the 1/4 :(

92 MX3 GS aka Goldmember - I'm trying to keep the legend going and as always credit to Andy for starting the legend ;)
sc61 currently @ 8 psi, wiseco 10:1 pistons, K1 rods, ported ze heads w/ kl31 cams
gerald_23

Post by gerald_23 »

You have mail :)

Return to “New Product Development”