Turbo on Auto Trans??

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
WestcoastSpeeder
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Turbo on Auto Trans??

Post by WestcoastSpeeder »

Did anyone install a turbo on a auto v6 gs?? Cause im thinking of doing so!! If yes about how much hp increases?? And what r some pros n cons?? Also im installing this on my mx3 having roughly 210,000 miles on it, and turbos tend to shorten the life of transmitions, and engines faster so, eventually im going to swap to a KL-DE or K8-ZE if i cant find the KL-DE . But will the same turbo fit that engine?? :shrug:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
RobMinhas

Re: Turbo on Auto Trans??

Post by RobMinhas »

Search bro. You need to do some turbo research outside of the site too.
Daninski wrote:This is my MX3. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My MX3 is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I master my life. My MX3, without me, is useless. Without my MX3, I am useless. I must fire up my MX3 true. I must drive straighter than any Honda driver who is trying to own me. I must own him before he owns me.
WestcoastSpeeder

yea i know and is just what i was doing, but my main question is how much hp it increases, and experiences on installations

Sleeper6

Post by Sleeper6 »

Im still having trouble believing you have an atx with +200k miles, let alone thinking of turboing it :shock:
92 GS gold (driver) worklog> http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=73405" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
93 GS red (wrecked)
:D I modify my ride so I can drive around the stupid people :D
RobMinhas

Post by RobMinhas »

Depends on the size of the turbo, the amount of boost is run, the tuning, the heat transfer system, the exhaust, the downpipe. There are so many variables that there is no set number of how much HP you will gain from turboing your car.

KL-DEs react to boosting better then ZEs and K8s so I would recommend that engine. The transmission will most likely go faster with the turbo, amount of time it would last varies entirely on the amount of power you're producing.

All turbos are universal, you just need an exhaust manifold to mount the turbo to the engine. I'm not sure if the K8 and the KLs share exhaust manifolds since I'm a four cyl guy, but searching on this site will yield that info in a heartbeat.

Pros:
More power, and all gains are from exhaust gasses that would otherwise be wasted, increasing the volumentric efficiency of the engine by a significant amount.

Cons:
INcreased wear on engine and transmission components.
Can be considerably expensive.
More parts that can fail.

In order to turbo your car you'd need:
-turbo
-Intercooler
-Intercooler piping
-Downpipe
-Blow Off Valve
-Upgraded injectors
-Exhaust manifold, and other related turbo pipes
-Oil cooling lines
-Oil sandwich adaptor or tapped oil pan for the oil line
-Aftermarket engine management
-Upgraded clutch for the power increase

Not to mention countless hours of labor in order to pull this off, and I'd recommend sticking in an MX6 trans, an LSD and a KL-DE. Plus there are a lot of other goodies you'll want to get on top of this, like a boost controller and full exhaust.

Theres a lot of info I'm leaving out here but thats the basic gist of it.
Daninski wrote:This is my MX3. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My MX3 is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I master my life. My MX3, without me, is useless. Without my MX3, I am useless. I must fire up my MX3 true. I must drive straighter than any Honda driver who is trying to own me. I must own him before he owns me.
WestcoastSpeeder

Thanks Rob !!

And why would an mx6 trans be better than a stock mx3 trans?? I have an auto but wanna switch it to manual after my engine goes. And you sure an mx6 trans would fit a KL-DE?

RobMinhas

Post by RobMinhas »

I'm not even sure if the MX3 auto trans will fit the KL engines, but a ZE will make an auto trans into a slush box so I imagine a DE would do the same as well.

Seeing as a KL-DE comes from an MX6 I"m quite certain that it'll fit an MX6 transmission. Once again, I'm not the best source for v6 stuff since I'm a 4 cyl guy. All of this stuff has been beat to death on the forum, most of the v6 guys will ignore questions that can be easily found through the search function.
WestcoastSpeeder

Sleeper6 wrote:Im still having trouble believing you have an atx with +200k miles, let alone thinking of turboing it :shock:

WestcoastSpeeder

Makes sense and yea i just recently found out there's a search button. Thanks for the help bro!!

Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

The Mx-3 auto will mate to a KL, but it won't last long and you'll eventually kill it; they can't handle the torque of a KL, never mind a turbo.

There were issues with fitament of a KL auto trans into an Mx-3, but there is also the wiring/ECU control issue. The Mx-3 is built in to the ECU and the KL is seperate, or visa-versa, I can't remember which is which.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

Well from my experiences turboing my B6DE I had exactly 100K on it when I turbo'd it. My ATX lasted only two blocks. From what I know about the GS atx i would expect about the same. there is a company called level 10 than made clutch ans shifting kits but they still did not hold up that well. If you wanted an upgraded ATX I would look into one from a 2.5 Milly. They are supposedly the best.

Return to “Forced Induction”