Sam's 1.6 MX-3- LT Turbo project.

In this section, Users can post worklogs for their vehicle and show users their projects. (MX-3 ONLY!). Please create only ONE topic when starting a project, and DO NOT create 2 worklogs for the same vehicle, even though they are different projects. READ THE STICKY!
Josh
Supporting Member

Re: Sam's 1.6 MX-3- LT Turbo project.> Rear bumper lip.

Post by Josh »

WOW great work SAM. I have not seen a civic lip fit that nicely. I really love the look with it higher in the middle. well done!
AaronTietje
antispam: No

Post by AaronTietje »

It looks good. Not too flashy.
We all want to be fast and look cool. Cool changes but fast never does.
youdirtyfox

Post by youdirtyfox »

Happy days :D you know me all about the subtle shizzle.. when I took it out the garage storage dump hanging pile it was all wrapped up in a mangled hoop cant beleive it has fitted that well!

Cheers Chaps :D
youdirtyfox

Post by youdirtyfox »

So the backbox idea upgrade has escelated as things usually do,lol into trying to fit a crossflow silencer now to the rear!
So it would look a little something like this: 1 In 2 out cardboard mock up.
Only thing holding it back is if there is enough room behind the bumper to squeeze an oval box in?!
Raining right now so I cant get out there and rip the bumper off an take out the reinforcement
bar to see, if it does fit though we could be looking at dual side exit pipes!!!!

EDIT > Took the bumper off this morning and made some space and it would seem that its going to fit, also straightened up the rear lip which fits even better now.
kulluminati777
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Sam's 1.6 MX-3- LT Turbo project.> Duplex rear muffler.

Post by kulluminati777 »

That rear lips looks very nice. Are you trying to make dual tips or are you just trying to make the exhuast more quite?
View my worklog: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=77688
youdirtyfox

Post by youdirtyfox »

Thanks, alot more subtle than the RSX I think! and bolts up better underneath, Yep dual tips without making it look like crap with two mufflers either side!
possibilitys are endless as I could go full retard with something like this:
or tone it down it a bit with 2 x 90 stainless bends shooting out either side.
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

Is the muffler touching the rear bumper? Won't it get too hot and melt the rear lip and bumper or is there a bit of space? Once you get it in it would be cool to see a side shot or underneath to see the spacing :welder:
youdirtyfox

Post by youdirtyfox »

That is my main concern yes, the mock up is based on a 5" oval box and is very close that low down (raising it up creates more space, but you wont see it then!) however I have just found a 4 1/2" oval st/st duplex muffler so will make another cardboard creation and see where we go from there I'm hoping for just enough space around it so it wont melt anything or I cut a little more away from the bottom of the bumper and employ some heatsheilding.

The mid section split open yesterday just where it joins the silencer (not scraped just original so wear and tear) so new one bought today, very tempted to cut & weld a new straight section in there where the silencer is! Bbbrbrbrbrwwwarp.....
youdirtyfox

Post by youdirtyfox »

New exhaust mid section fitted today, the back box studs snapped so those where ground off, drilled out and replaced! While I was there I completely waxoiled the underside of the car ready for winter, also noticed my sump guard had pierced through a little bit, so that's off right now to have an extra plate or two welded on. Was good getting under there to check out the whole system for when I want to go custom 2.25" I know have a spare mid section to copy along with the flanges to make a decat pipe. I'm still planning on fitting the transverse silencer to the rear, but that might have to wait till next year as its getting a bit chilly to be messing around with 'zorsts!
youdirtyfox

Re: Sam's 1.6 MX-3- LT Turbo project.

Post by youdirtyfox »

Car back on the road again now and smoother than ever! 3.5mm stainless plate welded onto the existing sump guard.
Have also now found a 4" duplex muffler to play with, but that will have to wait as I've just bought a very rare set of
9Jx16 Brock B1 wheels with tyres, although two tyres are goosed and in 215/45/16, think I may need a bit more stretch
then that to fit these bad boys up with! should be arriving arriving next week so should have some pics then.
ethand

Post by ethand »

Wow, looking mad, Sam! I've been relying on FB for your updates, but looks like there's a stack more going on! I love the muffler idea, your idea is nicely subtle & sporty, unlike the sagaris haha ;)
With the heat issue, could you not just cut out a bit from the middle of the bumper where the return (i.e. the bit that comes back towards the front of the car) is. to allow more room for the heat...?
'92 JDM Eunos Presso - Zeke
youdirtyfox

Post by youdirtyfox »

Yo cheers Ethan, always something going on in my garage, or crazy ideas in my head,lol
Yeah with the exhaust's its got to be subtle but with a little bit of attitude, and yes that piece
of the bumper has already been cut off :D Giving a 4" space now, as I'm hoping the muffler is oval
it will taper towards the bottom anyway.
youdirtyfox

Post by youdirtyfox »

More people probably look on FB now then in here but I'll put these up anywayz,lol
Test fitted up the 9Jx16 Brocks with 215/40/ tires and an offset of +15.
Probably going to need camber different size tyres as I reckon they might rub a little!

All in all pretty happy, tires need to come of so I can rub em down, treat one wheel for curb rash on the turning lathe
then engine enamel them Gold with black centre caps.

And scored a great bit of kit for the Turbo, this Bailey twin piston DV26 'Evo' dump valve.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

While I love the look of the wheels, stretched tires scare me. :(
Honestly, for the same reason that I wouldn't run 10 or 80 PSI in my tires... Safety.

I understand going for the look, but the risks outweigh the reward one hundred fold for me.

On a side note, which mirrors are those?? I really like them, they look like another set I've seen, except yours don't have a turn signal on the outer edge!! I think I like it better without, to be honest!
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
youdirtyfox

Post by youdirtyfox »

They are M3 gen2 mirrors with LED turn signals actually in/behind the mirrors.

Return to “MX-3 Worklogs”