In home car system.

Car Stereo/Alarm Discussions
racycle
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

In home car system.

Post by racycle »

Not really that interesting but if you have a extra cd-player and want to kill some time. Here is a little fun project.

Not sure if anyone remembers my old setup for the subs and amp but here is the head-unit side of things.

Get a desktop computer power supply , cd-player, and some extra wire. I did everything without ruining the power supply for later projects.

speakers , cross overs and tweeters from my car.

Messy wiring before I hooked up all the speakers.

The wiring diagram for my little setup. Probably not the best way to do it but it works.

The finished result

racycle's Worklog!
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=76991
-RIP

Current Toy
http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=80470

Please don't tap on the hood. It disturbs the gerbils.
xxxmonoxidechild

Re: In home car system.

Post by xxxmonoxidechild »

My original garage stereo was this set up, but a little bigger. ;) lol

i was running a Optima redtop battery with a car battery charger feeding it on low. off the battery i had a old pioneer cd player, feeding two 3 way technic house speakers. then i had a 1800watt power acoustic amp feeding two 15inch MTX terminator sub's in a sealed box.

that system lasted my first summer at my house. after the 3rd time the police were called on the bass, i decided i had to change it up. been running a duel home receiver set up ever since. one feeds the same two Technic speakers. and the 2nd one feeds just two 12in Infinity Perfect's.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

You have a nice Logitec 5.1 system, they would sould way better than free-air car speakers in a room of a house.

Did it once in my parents, power supply I was using was too noisy so I wouldn't get FM channels properly. Now we run an Xbox 360 that pulls the music from media center in the house 8)
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
stepchyld

Post by stepchyld »

Cool setup. You just provided the answer to a question I've had but haven't researched, thanks!
I have now boombox 2.0, old Sony unit in a box with 2 6x9's. 1.0 used a small battery I always had to recharge and wiring was enclosed. 2.0 is basically the same in a smaller box without the battery but with access to rear of stereo: RCA's for checking amps I intend to repair and the remaining working channel for checking speakers. Fairly compact and portable, but power was the next question to answer...
Now I know a computer power supply will work, awesome! I've a few chilling out in storage.

Does the power supply build up a lot of heat running a car stereo or does it stay pretty cool?
93 GS, ATX to MTX swap, chrome 16x7, upper strut bars, SRD LCA bushings.
Upcoming improvements: Tokico/Eibach struts/springs, energy suspension LCA bushings
94 RS MTX, Engine swap completed, ALIVE Again!
95 RS ATX, parts car/project X
racycle
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by racycle »

Mine stays pretty cool. Sence it is only using the 12v and none of others It dose not get as hot as it would sitting inside the desktop.

racycle's Worklog!
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=76991
-RIP

Current Toy
http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=80470

Please don't tap on the hood. It disturbs the gerbils.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Had a 8 track car stereo deck in a tool box with Craig 'Power Play' speakers bolted to the sides powered by a battery charger. Thing worked great till an adjustable wrench shorted out the power to speaker wire. pffssst. Old School Baby old school. :D
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Return to “Car Stereo/Alarm”