FOUND 2.5L ford probe engine. *PICS added*

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
scorpio_vette
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

FOUND 2.5L ford probe engine. *PICS added*

Post by scorpio_vette »

92 mx3 1.8L manual trans

Look I'm sorry, I know you guys don't like holding hands, BUT........I think I found a good score, and need you guys to help me make sure I get the right parts tomorrow.

In a earlier thread I posted that my filler neck plastic piece broke, and one of you said that the neck on a few other cars fit.

Well I found ONE car in the whole yard that had my filler neck. It was a 93 Ford Probe GT (i think) with a 2.5L in it. The guy said he'd cut the subframe, drop the whole front out from under it and let me have it for $200..........BUT......he doesn't know what shape it's in, because all he knows is that "some kid was working on it in a storage unit. He couldn't figure out how to get it running, and didn't pay his storage fees, and so the storage owner cleaned out the unit and send the car to the junkyard".

I don't have $200, but I have some of my own "junk" laying around, that the yard was willing to barter with. So tomorrow I'm going to start working on disconnecting whatever lines or wiring I need before they torch the undercarriage out from under it.

SOOOO...........PLEASE...........what all do I need to look out for that I need.

PS: I'm NOT doing this to do an engine swap right now. All I need is the filler neck. BUT......since it seems that I have to open the timing cover and remove some parts to get the filler neck off, AND that is the motor that you guys are replacing the 1.8L with, I figured it might be worth while to have it sitting in my garage.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Last edited by scorpio_vette on October 9th, 2012, 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nd4SpdSe

Re: FOUND 2.5L ford probe engine. What do I need???

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Clutch, computer and airflow sensor. You don't need the trans, it's the same thing, so if that'll save you a few bucks...
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
scorpio_vette

Post by scorpio_vette »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:Clutch, computer and airflow sensor. You don't need the trans, it's the same thing, so if that'll save you a few bucks...
Any idea where the computer is located on those???

So far not costing me anything. As I said, I'm bartering him some of "my junk" for "his junk". LOL

and (i could be wrong) but the way he was explaining, he was just going to torch the whole front subframe out, drop it from the car and hand it to me. So if that's the case, I might be getting the entire drivetrain from axle to axle. that would be cool.
RobMinhas

Post by RobMinhas »

Computer should be located where the MX3s is, right behind the center console, behind where the deck and HVAC controls are, easiest way to reach them is probably around the passengers footwell and removing the paneling on the left of it.
Daninski wrote:This is my MX3. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My MX3 is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I master my life. My MX3, without me, is useless. Without my MX3, I am useless. I must fire up my MX3 true. I must drive straighter than any Honda driver who is trying to own me. I must own him before he owns me.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by MrMazda92 »

Sounds sketchy... In your situation, I'd wait for one in guaranteed working order...
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
RobMinhas

Post by RobMinhas »

MrMazda92 wrote:Sounds sketchy... In your situation, I'd wait for one in guaranteed working order...
I agree, unless you can do the work yourself, including the machine work that might be necessary if it's realy bjorked I'd pass.

Could cost another couple hundred plus to get it running.
Daninski wrote:This is my MX3. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My MX3 is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I master my life. My MX3, without me, is useless. Without my MX3, I am useless. I must fire up my MX3 true. I must drive straighter than any Honda driver who is trying to own me. I must own him before he owns me.
scorpio_vette

Post by scorpio_vette »

I think some of you missed the part where i said that all i need is the filler neck. But if the engine is attached to it, i might as well get all the parts i need for down the road......just incase type deal.

Plus i'm not paying a penny for it, so right now its not like i'm loosing anything.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

:shrug:

I figured your intent was to swap, but I can see the misunderstanding there. :lol:
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
RobMinhas

Post by RobMinhas »

I didn't think of it that way either hahah. IF it's junmk you don't need then it;s a free DE, take it and run.
scorpio_vette

Post by scorpio_vette »

RobMinhas wrote:I didn't think of it that way either hahah. IF it's junmk you don't need then it;s a free DE, take it and run.
Let's say it this way. Most of it was "out behind the shed", and my wife was pleasantly surprised that all the "stuff" was gone when she came home. LOL so yeah........as far as I'm concerned, If the motors junk, I'm out nothing. If the motor is good, then I scored. And if the motor needs to be freshened up.......I'm probably still ahead since I'll be doing most if not all the work myself.

I'll post some pics of my find later after I get back. Going to get ready to head over to the yard here in a bit.
scorpio_vette

Re: FOUND 2.5L ford probe engine. *PICS added*

Post by scorpio_vette »

So I went to get the engine today. Discovered some "bad news" that I overlooked yesterday, BUT............Remember, it was FREE and all I technically needed was the coolant filler neck.
It had no spark plugs in it, and the distributor was out. so I'm expecting to find some water inside of it. It did however still have coolant and gas in it. No dipstick, so not sure what the oil looks like. I'll save that for another day. LOL

And the transmission was an automatic. :(

So here's what I got.
Sorry for the bad pics, took them in a hurry with my phone.

scorpio_vette

Post by scorpio_vette »

motor seems to be seized up. with the timing belt off, I can't turn the crank, or the rear cam. but the front cam turns.

But I got the filler neck that I wanted off of it. :lol: :lol: :lol:
kulluminati777

Post by kulluminati777 »

motor was in a probe with no hood? yeah it needs a rebuild. Who knows how long its been sitting in the elements trash it and get another junk yard DE but at least you got the filler neck :mrgreen:
View my worklog: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=77688
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Tear it down... Keep at a bear minimum the valvetrain. I'd say part it out, you may help someone out, and put a little money in your pocket for other projects/repairs. :welder:
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:
xxxmonoxidechild

Post by xxxmonoxidechild »

Im an avid junkyarder and see KL's in yards pretty much daily. but ive never seen the dirt and dust layer up like in that 1st picture you posted. That engine had been sitting for a LONG time. im talking probably years to get like that.

but for the price, you def cant complain. and you still got the one part you really needed. and the nice part is that aluminum block weighs a ton, so you get decent money just scrapping it. :)

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”