Actual '94 BD-6E 4 cyl dohc timing belt aftmkt & oem failure

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
specialtyneed
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Actual '94 BD-6E 4 cyl dohc timing belt aftmkt & oem failure

Post by specialtyneed »

To those high mileage folks putting you own timing belts (tb) on what is the predominant mileage interval we are seeing both types break at. Mine was purchased last year with 182 k mi and with low mileage engine changed at 85 k mi but now has 183 k mi on it and i got no history of any tb changes from prior owner. So having to make guess calculations and extrapolate. FSM says 60 k mi for 49 states and 90 for cali. I am gonna assume this is a half moon pulley engine and they under estimated the mileage interval and ask you who really know.
94 MX-3 L4 1.6L B6-DE DOHC MT F25M-R Silver Ext Blk Int 181k mi disty mod to ext style done. Worklog viewtopic.php?f=46&t=77306&hilit=specialtyneed&start=0
Josh
Supporting Member

Re: Actual '94 BD-6E 4 cyl dohc timing belt aftmkt & oem fai

Post by Josh »

Going to be honest I have never had one break on a B6 or BP DOHC motor. I had 150K on my B6DE timing belt... It was on 3 different motors :/

generally every 80K you should change it, but the heads are none interference so you do have some safety. You can go on like Moss motorsports and buy a Kevlar timing belt it is like the old school TODA Racing belt but blue not red and only cost 50 bucks instead of 200. they are guaranteed to never stretch or break. they are the same part between B6DE and BP motors :)
specialtyneed

Post by specialtyneed »

Thanks so much Josh that is really great info I will get one will be worth the peace of mind for not leaving me stranded.
Re: Moss motorsports and buy a Kevlar timing belt it is like the old school TODA Racing belt but blue not red and only cost 50 bucks instead of 200. they are guaranteed to never stretch or break
94 MX-3 L4 1.6L B6-DE DOHC MT F25M-R Silver Ext Blk Int 181k mi disty mod to ext style done. Worklog viewtopic.php?f=46&t=77306&hilit=specialtyneed&start=0
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

I thought it was a gates belt but couldn't remember for sure. here is a link

http://ecommerce.mossmotors.com/p/miata ... rc_results

specialtyneed

Post by specialtyneed »

Is this the blue kevlar reinforced one that will fit the B6-DE that never breaks or loseses its teeth? Part # 971-250
Here at Moss Miata for $68.95 http://ecommerce.mossmotors.com/p/miata ... rc_results
specialtyneed

Post by specialtyneed »

Thanks sorry i was posting as I saw yours come through.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”