The "Quick Question" Thread

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Redline322

Re: The "Quick Question" Thread

Post by Redline322 »

The most practical way I could think of for the duct work is to run it inside the inner fender then straight down behind the strut assembly, but I doubt you'd get much air flow unless you added a small fan to boost the air pressure.
93 323 Bp'd, Front and rear strut braces, Mx-3 seats, JDM headlights and grill SOLD
93 Mx-3 GS Curved-Neck KLZE, 5 speed Conversion, Fidanza Flywheel, Cross Drilled Rotors
kulluminati777
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by kulluminati777 »

Redline322 wrote:The most practical way I could think of for the duct work is to run it inside the inner fender then straight down behind the strut assembly, but I doubt you'd get much air flow unless you added a small fan to boost the air pressure.

i was thinking straight through the wheel well :welder:
View my worklog: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=77688
92StockMx3

Post by 92StockMx3 »

Would the PCV valve from the K8 work for the ZE? If not whats the best replacement. Thanks!
Mike
1992 Krylon White Mazda MX-3 RS. Cold Air Intake,17 inch Voxx rims with Toyo Proxez 4, Black Projectors, Black Taillights,Smoked Turn Signals.
1993 Brilliant Black Mazada MX-3 GS. KLZE, Short Shifter,
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Yes it would. In fact they are the same. Like exactly the same.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
kulluminati777

Post by kulluminati777 »

Is taking off the weather strip on top of the engine next to the wiper cowl beneficial? like does it let hot air escape a little or is this just a dumb ricer myth.....
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Ricer myth if you ask me.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
kulluminati777

Post by kulluminati777 »

wytbishop wrote:Ricer myth if you ask me.

oh man, it sounded legit :shrug:

ok what is this thing?????

also how do you adjust the clutch pedal or is there even a way to do it. Its not so loose.......i have ALOT of freeplay, its been like that since i had the car and it has bugged me ever since :shrug:
Redline322

Post by Redline322 »

That is the charcoal canister. The rod going from the clutch pedal into the clutch master is threaded, just loosen the lock nut and your can turn the rod to lengthen it, just make sure it isnt snug in there, it needs to have a very slight amount of play like 1-3mm. You can also adjust the bump stop on the clutch pedal as well. If that doesnt work, you might need to try to bleed the clutch slave to see if it helps or it could be just your clutch getting worn down.
93 323 Bp'd, Front and rear strut braces, Mx-3 seats, JDM headlights and grill SOLD
93 Mx-3 GS Curved-Neck KLZE, 5 speed Conversion, Fidanza Flywheel, Cross Drilled Rotors
Evo_Spec

Post by Evo_Spec »

kulluminati777 wrote:also how do you adjust the clutch pedal or is there even a way to do it. Its not so loose.......i have ALOT of freeplay, its been like that since i had the car and it has bugged me ever since :shrug:
http://www.mx-3.com/manuals/showimg.php ... /H-006.gif
kulluminati777

Post by kulluminati777 »

thanks for the speedy replies on my quick questions
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

The charcoal canister is connected through a series of valves between the fuel tank and the intake after the throttle body. The purge solenoid is controlled by the ECU to control how much evaporated fuel is released into the air/fuel mixture to be burned in the engine.

When the purge valve is closed the vented fumes have to be let into the atmosphere and the charcoal canister prevents it from stinking things up.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Sleeper6

Post by Sleeper6 »

kulluminati777 wrote:Is taking off the weather strip on top of the engine next to the wiper cowl beneficial? like does it let hot air escape a little or is this just a dumb ricer myth.....
Functions as a cheap cowl induction, I did it on mine and put washers under the hood at the hinges, now I can visibly see the hood flex at speeds and raise a bit in the back. Its not going to cause big changes but it definitely will increase air flow in the area. Same thing as old school hot rodders raking the hoods
92 GS gold (driver) worklog> http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=73405" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
93 GS red (wrecked)
:D I modify my ride so I can drive around the stupid people :D
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

I don't think there is an easy answer here. Allowing air to pass through in one place will reduce it in another. It could be safe to assume that it will allow hot air to excape from under the hood, but at the same time, reduce the ammount of air that passes through the rad. Being as though water/coolant has a much higher heat transfer than just air, this could be vastly counter productive.

I am not a p.eng.. this is more of a guess.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

That's not really how "flow" works. They design the car and they figure out where they want the rad to be and then they do wind tunnel tests and they figure out if all this other crap is where it has to be and we put an opening right here how much air flow will be get over the rad?....ok so with that much air flow how large does the rad have to be to cool this beast?...and then they do that. It's all done experimentally based on how the car actually is.

Natural flow is really a function of pressure. Air will always naturally move from a high pressure area to a lower pressure area. To create flow you have to create a low pressure area where you want the air to go so it will flow there on it's own or compress the air and push it where you want it to go. As the front of the car moves through the air it compresses the air right in front of the car and the design of the car gives it a convenient escape route through the rad. The vast majority of the air that passes through the rad goes down below the car.

So if you lift the back edge of the hood or remove the weatherstripping to allow air to move out of the engine compartment it will reduce pressure in the engine space and will theoretically encourage more air to come in through the rad. So that's fine. You're not hurting anything.

I just don't think it will make a noticeable improvement. Someone should measure the difference.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
kulluminati777

Post by kulluminati777 »

i read the FAQ on changing tranny fluid but there is no pics :( :( :( Is it possible to get pics or links to pics of the transmission fill hole and drain hole i have an idea where it is but im not sure also do i really need fluid transfer pump or could people just do it with a funnel :shrug: :shrug: :shrug:

P.S. its a V6

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”