Removing EGR?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Syeemx3
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Removing EGR?

Post by Syeemx3 »

Going to do some work on the ol MX. Thinking of starting my day off by removeing the EGR system along with what looks to be a charcoal canister (Who needs that junk anyway right) Just wanted to ask if theres anything about it that can easy be missed so i dont leave any vacuum lines unpluged and a sencer pluged in. Any info would be great thx =)
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Re: Removing EGR?

Post by MrMazda92 »

Leave the pigtail plugged in when you do it(saves you from a CEL), T the vac. lines together to continue the line, and weld/thread in screw plugs to fill the exhaust/intake holes.
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Yes and never pass an emissions test. Good luck.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Syeemx3

Post by Syeemx3 »

Well should still pass Emissions shouldnt it? This is not my Everyday driver but should be able to put the car into limp mode (Run Lean and with Alchohol) to pass Emission right? Whats Cel stand for aswell?
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

CEL = Check Engine Light.

Dan, no Emissions in Oregon!
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Syeemx3

Post by Syeemx3 »

Theres Emissions here but with OBD1 they just plug to the pipe right? Well some of Oregon they do Emissions. I live in Gresham/Fairview but i bought the car in Salem where they do not so it has no Cat either...
BornSticky

Post by BornSticky »

my klze never had egr and i passed above average the first time now its getting tougher and tougher but running methol hydrate and i have a california cat.
92 Mazda MX-3 KL-ZE Curve Neck, Probinator ECU, Full 2.5" exhaust with headers, cai, performance radiator, millenia alternator, 5spd, excedy stage 2 clutch, MTX 12" sub sony explod D series 600w amp, pioneer 260w deck, kyb on dropzone springs, HEI mod.
92 Mazda RX-7 (efini) FD3S urethane motor mount, Air intake, 18" Chrome rims besides that stock. SOLD!
93 Mazda MX-3 GS laguna blue full exhaust, cai, kyb shocks R.I.P. stupid jeep driver!
#5389 to join MX-3.com
Syeemx3

Post by Syeemx3 »

Yes Meth has lower emission (by far) but if i run a cal cat then ill lose what id be gaining from the EGR removal hmm... Thinking run fuel tank low (then change filter from the crud =/ ) and put ISO in it to lower the emissions and cause of the lower octane it would be like running it lean witch would act like lower smog in the test? But i still got 2 years on my tags anyhow lol. Much to contiplate. Anymore input would always help. Thank you my fellow mx-3 brothers =P
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

I passed 2 E-tests with no EGR on my ZE :shrug:
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
crazycanadian

Post by crazycanadian »

You understand that the EGR systems only purpose is to reduce NOx emission during light/mid throttle cruise and accell right?? Its turned off at idle and during any kind of agressive driving..

Same goes for your Evap (charcoal canister) system... You gain nothing by eliminating them except now you have to deal with finding ways to get threw smog testing...

If its working properly why not leave it intact and working as such..
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

There are gains to be had...

Ever remove an intake manifold from an EGR equipped engine? How about non-equipped? EGR-less will be clearer.

Removing the intake manifold for repairs/servicing of anything in the engine bay... For the Millenia engine(or any curve neck equipped KL), it's a PITA to remove the pipe from the EGR assembly.

As for the charcoal canister, I haven't thought of any reason to remove it(other than aesthetics).
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:
crazycanadian

Post by crazycanadian »

MrMazda92 wrote:There are gains to be had...

Ever remove an intake manifold from an EGR equipped engine? How about non-equipped? EGR-less will be clearer..

I have... Have you seen what your PCV system does to the intake?? Poor air filters? leaks in the intake boots..

If you are worried about a dirty intake, do a chemical intake cleaning once every 2 or 3 oil changes... Its becoming much more common with all the problems poping up in direct port injection engines..
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Also depends on what motor and ECU that you have. KL31/KL36 have no EGR controls, they don't know anything of it. Some motors don't have the ports for the EGR either, mostly related to the intake manifold and the gasket, but you can drill it out and or swap for Aspec parts.

All the club pretty much ran the same setup, none of us has issues with any emission testing despite the lack of EGR
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Syeemx3

Post by Syeemx3 »

Its a KLDE from a 93 Ford Probe GT with the ECM from it aswell. Has a EGR code right now if i remember correctly... So would be removeing for more then 1 reason and the person that did the swap obviously did it without care. Most the wireing harnesses and relays and vacuum hoses hanging around unplugged and what not. Ive havnt had much time to work on it but im getting there slowly...
crazycanadian

Post by crazycanadian »

Syeemx3 wrote:Its a KLDE from a 93 Ford Probe GT with the ECM from it aswell. Has a EGR code right now if i remember correctly... So would be removeing for more then 1 reason and the person that did the swap obviously did it without care. Most the wireing harnesses and relays and vacuum hoses hanging around unplugged and what not. Ive havnt had much time to work on it but im getting there slowly...
Removing the EGR system wont make your code go away... You have to figure out if it was wired up right and if the vacuum lines are right... Even if you have the egr valve plugged in but not opperational you'll most likely still throw an EGR code...

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”