Are my springs toast?

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
WrongWay
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Are my springs toast?

Post by WrongWay »

I just picked up a '95, 1.6L a couple weeks ago and have been in the process of bringing it up to snuff (ball joints, tie rod ends, fluids, belts, etc). All going easy enough so far. This is my first MX-3, so I'm pretty green on some of the particulars. Is it normal to be able to compress the rear suspension when it's jacked up? I mean, when I have the wheel jacked off the ground, I can grab it and push it upward a good 6 inches or so. It's the same on both side. The ride seems fine and isn't bouncy at all. On my RX, I can't budge the wheels at all by hand. But maybe the MX has very low spring rates?
Polonius
antispam: No

Re: Are my springs toast?

Post by Polonius »

What are you jacking it up by? The frame, or the suspension?
1993 MX-3
B6 SOHC
170,000 k
Manual tranny
WrongWay
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by WrongWay »

The frame. So while the wheel it hanging there, I can grab it and compress the springs upward by hand.
Trevor

Post by Trevor »

Unless the springs are broken or your going to lower the car I would just throw a good set of struts and sturt mounts at it and send it for an alignment
Demonic1

Post by Demonic1 »

I say the suspension is in need of repair. You should not be able to pick up the rear tires easily. Err... You know what I mean. :/

I would say to go for a full suspension. K-sports are looking to be my next upgrade. But I want to lower it a bit, you might just want to talk to a suspensions shop and see.

Better yet, a lot of suspension places will do a free check for you. Take it in and have someone who does it for a living tell you what's up.
Wings on an MX3? What are you thinking?

92 RS BP05
93 GS KLZE
(Previously owned by 2Fazed and then mrMazda92)
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Remember, you've got a 1.6, suspension isn't set to be as sporty as the 1.8. an RS WILL be softer, and typically sits higher than the stance of a GS.

Springs are springs, they don't really weaken (unless you've heated them up), they just break, as Trevor said, unless they're broken, they're ok. Do a double check, it's usually the top coil that's broken and it's not always obvious.

Shocks are a different story. Shocks absorb, well, shocks. They act totally different if it's a sudden shock from the road (bump, hole, etc), or a slow push from a human. Being able to compress it by hand is no indication if it's bad or not.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”