Sam's 1.6 MX-3- LT Turbo project.

In this section, Users can post worklogs for their vehicle and show users their projects. (MX-3 ONLY!). Please create only ONE topic when starting a project, and DO NOT create 2 worklogs for the same vehicle, even though they are different projects. READ THE STICKY!
youdirtyfox
antispam: No

Re: Sam's 1.6 MX-3- LT Turbo project

Post by youdirtyfox »

Hahah no mate half my I/C pipes are aircraft spec. aluminium so its top quality ;)... and they should be done under trades description act,lol

I belive pukka originates from a Hindi word meaning "cooked" But it British slang means all good.
youdirtyfox

Post by youdirtyfox »

Bar a little bit of a surface grind to the flanges the IHI to T25 adaptor block is complete :D
Final height is 38mm

Other good news! won what the Fella reckons is a recently refurb. Garrett T25 (new bearing, seals and wheels) for 75 quid on Sunday night, looks a bit ropey on the outside so will clean it up when it arrives and sort out new water/oil ports for it, and also "clock" it by rotating the housing's to get the oil drain right and the bottom and the turbine housing pointing somewhere nearer to the intercooler :D
Evo_Spec

Post by Evo_Spec »

youdirtyfox wrote:Bar a little bit of a surface grind to the flanges the IHI to T25 adaptor block is complete :D
Final height is 38mm

Other good news! won what the Fella reckons is a recently refurb. Garrett T25 (new bearing, seals and wheels) for 75 quid on Sunday night, looks a bit ropey on the outside so will clean it up when it arrives and sort out new water/oil ports for it, and also "clock" it by rotating the housing's to get the oil drain right and the bottom and the turbine housing pointing somewhere nearer to the intercooler :D
75 quid??? that's like $120! that's insanely cheap for a rebuilt turbo, good job bud look forward to seeing it!
youdirtyfox

Post by youdirtyfox »

tbh i have taken a bit of gamble as the fella could not prove it had been rebuilt,(he sounded very genuine in emails though) but it was on a 200sx that he was breaking so I guess the previous owner must of told him, and to be fair the turbine wheels do look brand new!

Funny how many people miss the last 't' of Garrett on there ebay listings :lol:
SgtLynch
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by SgtLynch »

youdirtyfox wrote:Funny how many people miss the last 't' of Garrett on there ebay listings :lol:
Hahahaha, I've scored so much stuff on Ebay because of spelling mistakes! Good on ya Bro!
youdirtyfox

Post by youdirtyfox »

Been a busy few lunch breaks this week trying to repair the broken stud and crack on the exhaust manifold. The old stud was hard as f--- to drill through!
Ground out the crack to a V and has been TIG'd using stainless steel wire, in hindsight should of really preheated as a few more cracks appeared in the weld, have no idea if this is going to work or not and dont know a way to test it. Might have to grind some more off and try again next week, if that dont work I'll be hunting for another..
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

It looks good, but it will probably eventually crack. they are just a horrible design. My grandfather used to weld cast iron all the time. he said you heat the iron up red hot then weld it, he preferred a ARC welder but probably only because that's what he had at the time. He would repair blocks and old heads for his race car and restoration projects. One thought is put a plug in the O2 sensor hole and weld it up and relocate the O2 to the downpipe. that is the weak spot and what causes the crack. I ran with mine cracked for like a year, it does cause some boosting issues :/

Good luck I am excited to see this completed, if I come across another I will be sure to let you know.
youdirtyfox

Post by youdirtyfox »

oh very interesting your grandfather sounds a bit like mine , always tinkering with engines and stuff :D
The 02 sensor bung for this was on the downpipe, but tbh if its going to crack again which is more than likely then I dont really
want to use it as it will leave me without a car :crying: then I will be in desperate need of a manifold.
Think id rather pay the money for something decent now and not having to worry about constant repairs!

Thanks Josh would be great of you hear anything, I have joined club protege and Im also waiting to hear back on price from a motorsport fab.company here in the UK that produced a stainless steel grade 321 manifold for a customers miata which is fully back purged and ported.
youdirtyfox

Post by youdirtyfox »

With the imminent arrival of the new tubby thought I better make a start at looking at the downpipe fabrication. Have decided to use 2.5" stainless steel as that's what I had a few bends of anyway so got a couple more, and have found this great pocketed flange for a T25 from the US milled to take 2.5" pipe. While Im making this will also try and cobble together a decat pipe section aswell.

ImageImage

Gives a better idea of the shape I think needs creating..
ImageImage
youdirtyfox

Post by youdirtyfox »

New Turbo arrived yesterday so I quickly stripped off the exhaust elbow to check for any cracks this time, absolutely none and zero shaft play either. It needs clocking, but I have to buy some seriously good circlip pliers first! Also came with a Turbo Technics emblem on the wastegate actuator(might of been rebuilt there or an actual TT actuator?) and an oil drain that I can probably modify and shorten to suit.

ImageImage

ImageImage

Also spent a few hours yesterday with the multimeter and some long reach probes checking a few of the wires on the
the ECU plug for the AEM, found around 75 percent of them so far, with them being colour coded and matching some
of the diagrams its making it fairly straight forward. We are going to hook a few up today and see if we can get them registering:D
Watch this space...
Evo_Spec

Post by Evo_Spec »

good to hear you got a nice score on the turbo, i'm happy for you =)
youdirtyfox

Post by youdirtyfox »

Cheers bro im happy;) AEM is now live! TPS, MAF, MAP, O2, Injectors all wired in and calibrated(ish)

Got a vid to upload in a bit...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0DoVzyq ... e=youtu.be
WhiteFinish

Re: Sam's 1.6 MX-3- LT Turbo project> AEM installed.

Post by WhiteFinish »

Great job !!

Did you install everything / tune yourself?
Just another Mx3 freak :)

Feedback topic: Click

Worklog
Worklog click
youdirtyfox

Post by youdirtyfox »

Thanks! I had a friend help me out, we probably spent 5 hours doing research, then another five hours wiring it in.

There is no tune right now, all the fuel, ignition tables are set to 0. So its just there running but not affecting anything.
We are either going to street tune it when boosted or take it to be mapped on a rolling road unless I can find a map for a miata
that might work on the AEM/miataturbo.net forum.
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

Nice Work! 2.5" on the 1.6 is pretty much ideal, this is coming together nicely

Return to “MX-3 Worklogs”