Sam's 1.6 MX-3- LT Turbo project.

In this section, Users can post worklogs for their vehicle and show users their projects. (MX-3 ONLY!). Please create only ONE topic when starting a project, and DO NOT create 2 worklogs for the same vehicle, even though they are different projects. READ THE STICKY!
mazdamx3bds
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Sam's 1.6 MX-3- LT Turbo project

Post by mazdamx3bds »

I agree with the points that you guys have made, that is why I am interested in how well the AEM FIC works on his setup so that I can consider it instead of going standalone.
Supertech Forged Pistons, ARP Studs, ACL Bearings, Port and Polished Head, Ported Intake Manifold, Valve Job, GTX Manifold, T3 50trim Turbo,Cone Filter, 2.5" Exhaust, 2.5" Custom Downpipe, ACT Street Clutch, Lightened Flywheel, MSD 6A Ignition, Boost Retard and SS Coil, Magnecor Plug Wires, Denso Iridium Plugs, UR Lightened Pulley, Spearco FMIC, Turbo XS BOV & MBC, Megasquirt V2, RX7 460cc Injectors, Walbro 255 Fuel Pump, Autometer Gauges, Pivot Shift Light
youdirtyfox
antispam: No

Post by youdirtyfox »

Im all about driveability, reliability and flexability with this tubro install so hopefully the AEM will give me all three, shame it doesn't do boost control but hey you can't have everything.
youdirtyfox

Post by youdirtyfox »

Well s--- was going great guns till I discovered my turbo has a crack right through the exhaust housing into the penny valve , so know I got to reconsider my options. As the 323 mani has a slight crack in it too it might be worth me going custom weld your own mani like RS_OBD'oh_2 with a T25 flange on it as they are a very common turbo over here meaning I can step upto to the T28 later on.
mx3matt

Post by mx3matt »

youdirtyfox wrote: As the 323 mani has a slight crack in it too it might be worth me going custom weld your own mani like RS_OBD'oh_2 with a T25 flange on it as they are a very common turbo over here meaning I can step upto to the T28 later on.

i would say this is the route to go....
mazdamx3bds

Post by mazdamx3bds »

The IHI-VJ11 is a fairly common turbo though so I shouldn't be too hard to find a replacement at a local junkyard or on Ebay, they came on the 89-92 Mazda MX-6 and Ford Probe.

If you are going to a new manifold, I would recommend that you go to the T28 turbo directly instead of the T25 which is a small turbo.
Supertech Forged Pistons, ARP Studs, ACL Bearings, Port and Polished Head, Ported Intake Manifold, Valve Job, GTX Manifold, T3 50trim Turbo,Cone Filter, 2.5" Exhaust, 2.5" Custom Downpipe, ACT Street Clutch, Lightened Flywheel, MSD 6A Ignition, Boost Retard and SS Coil, Magnecor Plug Wires, Denso Iridium Plugs, UR Lightened Pulley, Spearco FMIC, Turbo XS BOV & MBC, Megasquirt V2, RX7 460cc Injectors, Walbro 255 Fuel Pump, Autometer Gauges, Pivot Shift Light
youdirtyfox

Post by youdirtyfox »

Im thinking new mani now as getting hold of any parts for a VJ in the UK is a ball ache, not the case with a T28 which I agree is the one to go for straight away.

Have emailed JGS to find out about shipping to UK for there DIY mani kit, no reply as of yet.
youdirtyfox

Post by youdirtyfox »

Still no reply so....

I may have found a way round it to keep my 323 manifold and use a T28 at the same time, tbh I really think that mani. is too rare to waste you cant beat a cast one as stainless is so prone to cracking.

The solution could be a adaptor flange as I happen to have a T25 gasket lying around I thought I would test my theory against the VJ gasket on the bottom. It should work as long as its shorter than this Im hoping it wont sit the turbo too far down. Have a 8mm steell T25 laser cut flange coming now and will have a go at machine up from billet steel or use some tube to make the adaptor.

Hope this works then I will only have to fork out for a turbo

:D

Last edited by youdirtyfox on July 9th, 2012, 12:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mazdamx3bds

Post by mazdamx3bds »

I have seen some people cut off the studs off the existing GTX manifold and then weld the adapter plate directly onto the bottom, however I think you need a good welder to ensure that this is done properly.
youdirtyfox

Post by youdirtyfox »

Yeah seen that done a few times takes a skilled welder, preheating/cooling and the right wire and even then I think it could be a bit hit and miss?!
Think I;ll take the safer bolt on option. :)
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

youdirtyfox wrote:Im all about driveability, reliability and flexability with this tubro install so hopefully the AEM will give me all three, shame it doesn't do boost control but hey you can't have everything.

LOL it's funny hearing you say you are concerned about driveability... :P Just giving you a hard time of course :freak:... looking forward to how this turbo project turns out!
youdirtyfox

Post by youdirtyfox »

Haha yeah if only ever road was as smooth as glass :crying: :lol: its cool I meant limiting wheel spin with a nice smooth torque curve etc etc. I think im the only one this stupid to get as low as I have, might have to raise her up a touch for some speed, though I wanna take her on track when boosted 8)
youdirtyfox

Post by youdirtyfox »

Ok so been doing some window shopping/research into what turbo to buy and although the T28 is readily available its quite expensive right now for me where as a Garrett T25 from either a Saab 9000 or a Nissan 200sx is cheap at the moment, like 50-60 pounds! ($100)

I know its quite a small turbo but hey its a Garrett and I'll be able to hybrid it later on with a T3 and it's gonna makes boost so who cares right?! :lol:

I have a steel IHI VJ flange coming now from US so I can start work on the adaptor very soon :D
mazdamx3bds

Post by mazdamx3bds »

I would advise that you start with the T28 instead of the T25 you mentioned, you will quickly realize what I am talking about regarding the turbo too small when it runs out of power well before redline. I am speaking from experience having started my setup with a VJ-14 off the 323 GTX, please start with the correct size one time.
youdirtyfox

Post by youdirtyfox »

Yes im not walking into blind and tbh I dont mind a nice kick in the midrange with some real early spool up, makes it nice and driveable then.

Like I said once you own a Garrett its easy to get hybrid parts or exchange turbos and for ref. Turbine housing A/R on a 200sx T25 is .64 and compressor housing .48

If a T25 is good enough for BBR its good enough for me :D
mazdamx3bds

Post by mazdamx3bds »

Good luck with the project, hope you get it up and running soon. Making a couple changes and then I am going for 18-20psi, hopefully everything holds up. :lol:

Return to “MX-3 Worklogs”