Charlie's no budget mid engine build: *Codename:BlakBishop*

Off-Topic Discussions
marcdh

Re: Charlie's no budget mid engine build

Post by marcdh »

Hope it works better than 3DSOM I tried to use for the lantis spindles :lol:
AZ-3 1498cc Turbo! EVO 8 turbo and manifold, 5 stud swap, SSR Type C, DIYPNP seq Megasquirt
Mx-3 2.5 V6 Turbo 291 BHP 251 lbft @ 8psi - Retired due to rust and back at uni
View Worklog
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Well I'm not holding my breath but it looks promising. I'm going to download the software tonight and give it a go.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

OH....123D Catch is the friggin BOMB!!!

Check it out.

You take a bunch of pictures of any non reflective object, upload them to the Autodesk Cloud and their monster computer stitches the photos together by identifying common points in the various pictures to create a 3 dimensional scene. Then they send you a link to download it back to your computer.

It creates a 3D mesh, which you can then move into other design and drafting software like Alias or a new one I didn't know about called Mudbox...which is pretty frickin cool too. I'll have a working model by the end of the week.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

I had tried to do the 3D capture thing with my point and shoot Sony camera with little success. The problem is reflection. Any reflection off the surface of the object you're attampting to capture seems to confuse the software creating voids and wierd depressions in the 3D capture. So I had a professional photographer friend of mine take a bunch of pictures of the model for me trying to eliminate as much reflection as possible.

The pics came out really nice...

There are still some issues with the capture however. The color of the clay seems to be very tricky and the software is still seeing surface changes that aren't really there. Here's a quick vid of the 3D capture.

http://s238.photobucket.com/albums/ff84 ... video1.mp4

PRetty cool but not quite good enough to model with. This is what the mesh that the 3D capture software creates looks like...

You can see on the roof there how it's all wavy. It's just super hard to get a perfectly consistent looking surface. The camera picks up very fine differences in shade and the software see that as surface changes.

I got a tablet for sketching and drafting today and I'm going to see if I can clean up the mesh myself enough to export it to Inventor.

It's a process. It's all about the learning.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
ethand
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by ethand »

I just jizzed in my pants. That looks amazing!
Awesome work with the 3d software - I know all too well how annoying & tricky editing meshes can be!!! Especially the complex geometries & perfectly smoothed surfaces of cars!
You're doing a rad job, mate :)
'92 JDM Eunos Presso - Zeke
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Possible to paint the model with something very flat and non reflective?

You'll be re-modelling it anyway, so I wonder how perfect of a scanned in model you need, perhaps only enough to trace over ?

Super cool.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

ethand wrote:I just jizzed in my pants. That looks amazing!
Awesome work with the 3d software - I know all too well how annoying & tricky editing meshes can be!!! Especially the complex geometries & perfectly smoothed surfaces of cars!
You're doing a rad job, mate :)
Thanks Ethan.
Ryan wrote:Possible to paint the model with something very flat and non reflective?

You'll be re-modelling it anyway, so I wonder how perfect of a scanned in model you need, perhaps only enough to trace over ?

Super cool.
Yeah we talked about coating it with something. I guess it's just a bit too scary at this point. I have about 5 months invested in the model and even thought it's not perfect if I damage it I would have to start again. You're right though, even once I do get it digitized I will still have a fair bit of work to do to get it really perfect.

My current plan involves the use of 3DS Max to model the car from orthoganal views of the model. The hardest part of that is learning to use the software, but this particular thing is done by lots of amateurs. That 3D model of an MX-3 that you've seen for video games was done by a regular guy in an older version of 3D Max. The digital rendering I got from this experiment just has way too many vertices. It's almost impossible to work with.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
ethand

Post by ethand »

Ryan wrote:Possible to paint the model with something very flat and non reflective?
Moonwax. :freak: :lol:
'92 JDM Eunos Presso - Zeke
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

You should try modeling in chocolate, the design might come out more tasteful

1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Boo...hiss...
My Worklog
My feedback thread
RobMinhas

Post by RobMinhas »

ethand wrote:
Moonwax. :freak: :lol:
Plastidip, then peel off after :)
Daninski wrote:This is my MX3. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My MX3 is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I master my life. My MX3, without me, is useless. Without my MX3, I am useless. I must fire up my MX3 true. I must drive straighter than any Honda driver who is trying to own me. I must own him before he owns me.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Progress has been slow as I learn some new modelling and drafting skills. I am still constantly making minor changes to the solid model, but mostly it's in my head for when I can get to that point in the digital modelling process.

I have started modeling the chassis parts. Spindles, wheels, suspension parts...etc. but it's slow going. Lots to do and very tricky parts.

But just so you all know, I haven't quit.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

OK I burned out my last brain cell on this one but hey,,,how about womens make up. You can either blotch it on with a pad or use a nice $25.00 soft make up brush. My daughter would know which make up you would need to flatten out that shine and would probably donate it free of charge. :D
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Yeah the problem with that whole direction of trying to photograph it and the shine and so on is that the clay is oil based. Nothing will stick to it and I don't want to put anything on it that will affect my ability to rework it in the future. Using the photos I do have I am working on making up some wireframe blueprint type images to use in the modeling software. That part actually isn't that hard. It's learning the modeling software that's kicking my a--.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
bbunkerc397
antispam: No

Post by bbunkerc397 »

Cool project, have you looked into DDR? http://www.ddrmotorsport.com this car you can buy for 18,000 as a rolling chassis and build the rest.
1996 MX-3 KL-ZE with Eunos 800 IM, factory side skirts,. "Owner since 2001 my 14th year"
1992 929s 20B-REW Lowered, 17" chrome Millenia rims, custom black interior. "13th Owner 9th year"
2006 Chevy HHR LT "Bought Brand New - East Side Chevy" Sold to my Dad

Return to “Off-Topic”