Funny but real swap question

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
kulluminati777
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Funny but real swap question

Post by kulluminati777 »

When your taking out a K8 from the MX-3 can you use the MX-3 exhaust (manifold, muffler) and also when you do the engine swap do you need the DE ecu? When you have a HEI and external coil do you have to wire it up like you would on the MX-3 or do you wire it up like you would on a MX-6.....
View my worklog: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=77688
AaronTietje
antispam: No

Re: Funny but real swap question

Post by AaronTietje »

I'm quite sure the exhaust will bolt right up. (I put in stainless probe headers and that requires work to the exhaust in my car because the ypipe is longer). I would use a kl01 or klo7 ecu. (assuming your mx3 is a 92 or 93) Also, if your car is a 92-93 then the disty's from the 93-94 probe will work as well as the ecus that I mentioned. I don't think that you will have to rewire your HEI.
We all want to be fast and look cool. Cool changes but fast never does.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

kulluminati777 wrote:When your taking out a K8 from the MX-3 can you use the MX-3 exhaust (manifold, muffler)
K8 manifold won't work on a KL, you need the KL manifolds. Exhaust and the rest are fine, restrictive but fine.
kulluminati777 wrote:When you have a HEI and external coil do you have to wire it up like you would on the MX-3 or do you wire it up like you would on a MX-6.
You wire it up for the wiring harness that's in your car. Harness/disty change on the year.
kulluminati777 wrote:and also when you do the engine swap do you need the DE ecu?
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
RobMinhas

Post by RobMinhas »

Slightly unrelated but is there a KL-ZE/DE swap guide on the forum? My searching skills seem to be weak as I can't find one and I'm almost certain that I've seen one before.
Daninski wrote:This is my MX3. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My MX3 is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I master my life. My MX3, without me, is useless. Without my MX3, I am useless. I must fire up my MX3 true. I must drive straighter than any Honda driver who is trying to own me. I must own him before he owns me.
kulluminati777

Post by kulluminati777 »

ok im just making sure, ill take the MX-6 ecu out with the engine

ok so the K8 manifold will not work got it, I have the KLDE manifolds in the closet..i have cheap EBAY headers on the KLDE now, but something tells me i dont want to use those anymore and i dont want to modify anything (i understand you have to mod the crossmember but i dont want to touch the SRD cross member i have) im looking for the most bolt on approach as possible with out any modification ( i also want to keep my mazdaspeed back box)

Basically im trying to put a DE with a little more horses into my grocery getter...im not trying to win any autocross races or be on best motoring international (the greatest show of all time) i just dont want the MX-3 left at every stop light and i have to swap the engine anyway so why put another K8 in it
marcdh

Post by marcdh »

Why won't the k8 exhaust manifolds work? I see no reason for this, unless you have bizarre manifolds over there.

I'd run the ebay headers if I were you. Yes they're 4-6" too long or whatever and require a bit of tweaking but when you compare them to the OEM logs they appear much more free flowing.
AZ-3 1498cc Turbo! EVO 8 turbo and manifold, 5 stud swap, SSR Type C, DIYPNP seq Megasquirt
Mx-3 2.5 V6 Turbo 291 BHP 251 lbft @ 8psi - Retired due to rust and back at uni
View Worklog
kulluminati777

Post by kulluminati777 »

i understand the headers would be better for the car, but is it just the headers that need modification? if there is something else id rather just stick with the manifolds for now
mikeinaus
antispam: No

Post by mikeinaus »

some ebay headers had crappy quality control and didnt fit the engine properly as far as i know. something about them rubbing on the oil pan or being too short. the clearance issues with the cross member i believe had more to do with people having problems with turbos and larger piping, and not headers... the only other real problem is the flange where it connects to the cat is about 8" longer on headers so you will need to cut your exhaust and weld on a new flange for it to work.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

marcdh wrote:Why won't the k8 exhaust manifolds work? I see no reason for this, unless you have bizarre manifolds over there.
_-Night-Shade-_ wrote:Yep, the K8 is unique like that. DE and ZEs use the same exhaust primaries but the K8 one is different, so the K8 y-pipe won't line up with the rear bank I believe, and the MX-6/Probe y-pipe won't line up with that K8 primary. I already tried that with my ZE.
I think that's it. This was info that was given to me by CurtKLZE before or around my ZE swap, so we're talking about 2002-2003 here.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Correct that the orientation of the bolts on the primary to y-pipe flange changes between K8 and KL. Depends what ypipe you wanna use. To bolt back onto your exhaust, you want K8. As far as I know, they're the same anyway.

The only headers that require modification of the crossmember are the Pacesetter ones, which you don't have, since you said you have the cheap ebay ones.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”