Evo_Spec's 1994 BP-T RS

In this section, Users can post worklogs for their vehicle and show users their projects. (MX-3 ONLY!). Please create only ONE topic when starting a project, and DO NOT create 2 worklogs for the same vehicle, even though they are different projects. READ THE STICKY!
ethand
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Evo_Spec's 1994 BP-T RS

Post by ethand »

Ghetto fix FTW!! :lol: :lol: Glad to know you'll be getting the true part replace for free :D
'92 JDM Eunos Presso - Zeke
Evo_Spec

Post by Evo_Spec »

Garage sale score!
brand new McGard wheel locks for 15 bux =D

Got a new sub & sub box cause the old one was like 70+ pounds and taking up 60% of my trunk which doesn't work with trying to get a stroller in there lol
Old setup
New setup
kulluminati777

Post by kulluminati777 »

yeah i haad to do the setup on the sub you have now, my stroller fits pretty good because of it but i always have to take the trunk cover out..do u? and who said the MX-3 cant be a family car :lol: :lol:
View my worklog: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=77688
Evo_Spec

Post by Evo_Spec »

to tell you the truth, i'm not actually sure cause i haven't put the stroller in yet but i imagine my real issue would actually be the baby seat tether and not the trunk cover.
i imagine it's because of the stroller you have too, i have an older peg perego pliko that folds up length wise, not in half like most so it'll fit between the sub and the back of the car

*edit* so yeah my stroller fits fine, would fit better if the seat tether wasn't there but it still fits fine
Last edited by Evo_Spec on June 27th, 2012, 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Evo_Spec

Post by Evo_Spec »

=)

Tavman_1213

Post by Tavman_1213 »

I was lookin into that Grimmspeed boost controller let me know how it works!!!
93 White RS- BPT Built not bought!!
Worklog: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=78988
Evo_Spec

Post by Evo_Spec »

Tavman_1213 wrote:I was lookin into that Grimmspeed boost controller let me know how it works!!!
will do, i'm not gonna be turning up the boost more than 8-9 PSI and just use it to eliminate wastegate creep for now until i get my FMIC mounted up and installed so i've been taking my sweet a-- time getting around to installing it cause i haven't had any time lately so i didn't want to rush it cause i want it done nicely. (it's doing 8psi right now, not sure why it was doing 9psi that one day but it hasn't since)
Evo_Spec

Post by Evo_Spec »

Tavman_1213 wrote:I was lookin into that Grimmspeed boost controller let me know how it works!!!
so yeah, it works great =)
The quality of MBC is awesome, the metal is very smooth and the black finish is even and strong, i nicked it with a sharp box cutter and it didn't scratch. The "head" isn't floppy or loose at all and it doesn't spin off if you spin it all the way out.
They advertise that each click of the dial is 0.25 PSI and they weren't lying, although it's really hard to see on my boost gauge while paying attention to the road lol. Each click is very noticeable with the dual ball detent system, i never had to question if it was a click or not.

Overall i'm very happy with it.

Man i wouldn't have thought a boost controller set to the same PSI as my wastegate would make such a difference (8-9 psi)but i guess i had quite a bit of WG creep cause the boost builds about 250rpm faster than it used to and hits a lot harder.
It was kinda funny because i was trying to be safe and slowly turn the MBC up to 8-9 psi but after a couple runs i just got tired of trying to find the spot and cranked it up as i figured it would be easier to turn down the boost rather than trying to find 8-9 psi on the MBC and i ended up turning it up to 11 psi, that was fun lol
So now the boost is set to 9psi cause before the MBC was in it would kick up to 9psi and sometimes it would only go up to 8psi so now i have a consistent 9psi and no WG creep =D
The boost will be turned up when i get my Mishimoto FMIC installed, not sure how high i want to go, i think i'm gonna stick around 10-12 PSI to be safe, we'll see.

Oh right! pictures, sry =P
I found a nice spot on the battery tray to install the MBC, it's pretty much exactly where i wanted it =)
I might move it on a later date so that it's upwards but i'm pretty happy where it is right now.

Don't worry, i zip-tied the other hose after i took the picture, i just got all excited and took a picture lol
Evo_Spec

Post by Evo_Spec »

just found out i got these in the mail today too, i only needed one, how nice =D
i replaced it already but was too lazy to take pics so, yeah.

youdirtyfox
antispam: No

Post by youdirtyfox »

Man i wouldn't have thought a boost controller set to the same PSI as my wastegate would make such a difference (8-9 psi)but i guess i had quite a bit of WG creep cause the boost builds about 250rpm faster than it used to and hits a lot harder.
Thats interesting as I wouldnt of thought it would make a difference aswell! I might have to try that as I have an old MBC lying around, not as pimp as yours though , it looks like it was made from copper plumbing fittings!
Evo_Spec

Post by Evo_Spec »

youdirtyfox wrote:
Thats interesting as I wouldnt of thought it would make a difference aswell! I might have to try that as I have an old MBC lying around, not as pimp as yours though , it looks like it was made from copper plumbing fittings!
Yeah i was surprised too, it might be because my wastegate isn't properly set so i have excessive boost creep? well at least my MBC is an upgrade that also fixed a problem, woot!
I'm sure you know but realistically it doesn't matter, an MBC is just a ball and a spring that restricts air (or bleeds it), there's really not much you can screw up lol
Actually i would have gotten some cheap ebay MBC but i thought if i was going to buy a nice one it would be this one and it just so happened that one happened to pop up brand new for $100 on a local forum so i saved $20 not buying it online, the box was actually still sealed when i got it from the guy so i opened the box just to make sure the company he got it from didn't screw up his order lol
Evo_Spec

Post by Evo_Spec »

This pic turned out really well considering i was running out to prevent getting towed and took this in like 3 seconds and ran in and drove off.
It's too bad it wasn't a westjet plane =/ (i work for westjet)
Evo_Spec

Post by Evo_Spec »

hey look! a real update!

So i decided to finally put the short shifter in that i got from im2bad4u at the same time i got my sparco hub and stuff from him.
The eBay STS w/ bronzoil bushings vs stock POS, i'm actually quite impressed with the eBay STS, i took it apart to lube it all up with grease and everything was nice and tight and fit like you would expect it to be.
I also like the solid mount compared to the retarded 2 piece bushing held with that stupid spring.

I noticed that i wouldn't be able to get the old rubber boot to prevent debris from coming in so instead i just used a LOT of grease to protect the STS, i added more after the picture lol

all bolted up and installed!

While i was doing this i found out one side of the rubber....shifter holder thing? was ripped apart and the other side was cracked up and didn't look like it was gonna last more than a couple months so i don't know if this was a smart idea or not but i figured it couldn't hurt, i put some silicone i had in the gap between in hopes it would be like filled engine mounts lol

While i was inside the car with the plastic panels already removed, i figured i may as well finally put in the lipped tray i got 3 months ago XD
Including the time it took to cut out the hole for the USB and AUX cord, it took about 5 min =P
Here's some comparison pics!

note the extra...lip? on the lipped tray, it holds in place much nicer with them compared to the stock tray but i have no idea what the hell all the plastic plug like things are on the back of the new tray

I've had the large charger for my dash cam in the 12v socket for a while which prevented me from using the 2nd hole in my cup holder so i finally ripped it out and since i don't smoke and never will so i thought update and be more modern and put in a USB charge port instead!

There's something about the lip tray i like a lot more, not sure what it is but it feels more modern. (here you can see how big the charger was)

So this is why you can see the dome light in the last picture, because i was soldering up a Frankenstein setup!
All the connections are soldered but i forgot to get a switch for the dash cam charger so it's going to be constantly on until i get a switch and wire it in but i'm sure it's not gonna cause any draining problems

it all fits really nicely up there =D
All done!
Last edited by Evo_Spec on July 3rd, 2012, 10:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
92StockMx3

Post by 92StockMx3 »

That setup for the GPS charger is an excellent idea, i would have never thought of that.

Im guessing the Aux port for your CD player is located in back? Thats also a good idea mine is in the front so my cable just lays either on the floor or on the passenger seat while its plugged in. Just when i thought that tray was useless and i replaced it i get proven wrong.

Have you driven it with the Ebay STS in yet? How's it feel?
Mike
1992 Krylon White Mazda MX-3 RS. Cold Air Intake,17 inch Voxx rims with Toyo Proxez 4, Black Projectors, Black Taillights,Smoked Turn Signals.
1993 Brilliant Black Mazada MX-3 GS. KLZE, Short Shifter,
Evo_Spec

Post by Evo_Spec »

92StockMx3 wrote:That setup for the GPS charger is an excellent idea, i would have never thought of that.

Im guessing the Aux port for your CD player is located in back? Thats also a good idea mine is in the front so my cable just lays either on the floor or on the passenger seat while its plugged in. Just when i thought that tray was useless and i replaced it i get proven wrong.

Have you driven it with the Ebay STS in yet? How's it feel?
haha thanks, i was thinking of the least distance so i wouldn't have to run the wire all over the car.

yeah my aux port & usb port come from the back, the usb is a short permanent wire on the back (pioneer DEH-P500UB)
i don't like the decks with the ports on the front because i only use USB flash drives so that'd always be connected and it'd be sticking out the front waiting for me to smash it with my hand lol. Then the occasional AUX for YouTube on my phone, or the very rare occasion of giving someone a ride and they have an MP3 player. (ipod's can connect through USB =) )

It's hard to say if the STS is better or worse, it's just very different because, well here look at this pic, it'll explain a bit.
This is the stock bushings that came out of the car, the other one was half gone.
This is what the bushing are supposed to look like lol

so yeah, my stock setup had quite a bit of slack which i didn't know at the time but i did miss 3rd all the time when i was driving hard.
The STS feels quite a bit stiffer, but i imagine it's because with my last setup was not only is it stock but because the bushings were so far gone i probably had a little momentum before it actually started shifting so it was very easy.

Overall i am happy with the upgrade it's probably about 1.8-2x stiffer but it's a LOT more precise and there's barely any wiggle when in gear and even in neutral. The shifter wasn't dropped down much further but was brought a little closer which i love because 3rd used to be a full arm stretch to reach and now it feels normal, i'm not sure how much throw was reduced but i imagine it was around 40%?

Return to “MX-3 Worklogs”