RS vs GS gauge clusters....different?

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
tbondo
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

RS vs GS gauge clusters....different?

Post by tbondo »

I recently completed a KL-DE swap into my B6 RS MX-3. I have been having some high RPM issues while driving and was told this could be related to my gauge cluster registering too high. A little background....ever since I swapped the motor I have not been able to leave town as my RPM's are running very high. I drive around town (~30 mph) in 5th gear running around 3,000 rpm. I don't know my exact speed as my trans speed sensor needs replacement. So all I have to go on is the sound of the engine. It sounds like it is running at the RPM the tach is stating but I can't say for sure.

So with that said, can someone say for sure there is a difference in the gauge clusters? Is the signal that comes in different between the RS and GS thus making the tach read incorrectly? Has anyone had any experience with this?
Savin

Re: RS vs GS gauge clusters....different?

Post by Savin »

Put a V6 cluster in. Its trying to read the rpm's for a 4cyl. I recently put a V6 cluster in my RS. It basically says I redline at 4,000rpm. I can see how having a 4cyl cluster with a V6 engine would make it seem really high.

Just remember, the engine isn't lying, but the gauge is, lol.
'95 MX-3 RS - Project "Déjà Vu" Destined for the scrapyard.
'93 MX-3 GS - SOLD!
'93 MX-3 GS SE - Parts car!
'94 MX-3 GS - Scrapped
'94 MX-3 RS - Scrapped
'96 Sunfire SE - Scrapped
'03 Sunfire SE - Deathtrap
'95 Cavalier Base - Scrapped
'94 Thunderbird LX - Collects dust
'89 Mustang GT - SOLD!
crazycanadian

Post by crazycanadian »

Like mentioned above your gauge is at fault... Its not calibrated for the V6 engine... I have a Canadian GS gauge cluster for sale...
tbondo

Post by tbondo »

I'm assuming when you say Canadian that it would be in KM/H rather than MPH?
crazycanadian

Post by crazycanadian »

tbondo wrote:I'm assuming when you say Canadian that it would be in KM/H rather than MPH?
Yeah... It has both, but KM/H are the larger number.. MPH is the smaller numbers... ODO is also in KM... There is most likely a way you could just swap out the TAC module though and keep your stock ODO and speed stuff...
tbondo

Post by tbondo »

I'm going to do some looking around here at the salvage yards and see if I can't find one. I'll keep yours in kind if I can't find one. Thanks
tbondo

Post by tbondo »

Found a GS at the local salvage yard today with the cluster in tact. Thanks crazycanadian for the offer on your cluster.
tbondo

Post by tbondo »

Got the GS cluster swapped over and it seems to have fixed the high rpm issues I was having. Thank you for the information.

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”