Front grill change/question + more questions about body kits

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
iRobsta
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Front grill change/question + more questions about body kits

Post by iRobsta »

Hey guys. I've purchased myself a 1994 Mazda MX - 3 GS with 163k km's for 1700$.
I've had it for a full week now and I got manual all down pat. I have a few rust spots on my car I'm getting fixed real soon.

On topic, I would like to modify the looks of my car. I've been browsing around and I found some really good DIY kinda stuff that I'm going to give a go. One key feature I'd really want to change about this car is make it look more "agressive" and "edgy". I love the hatch back but the bubbly front looks so so to me.
I really would like to change the grill, make it a bigger opening. Here's are some slight examples of what I'm after:
In this example the car has no stock grill any more at all. I was thinking maybe make it larger rather than replace it with a front bumper like this.

This I feel is a better example since his cars is also changed and his car does look much more edge and aggressive.
Looking around on the internet it seems like putting on a new hood and a new front bumper is my only option. Im trying to avoid a new bumper deal as much as I can because I cant afford a paint job for my entire car, around where I live everywhere I see people want 2.5 grand + for a basic base colour paint job. How hard and expensive is it to do it yourself?

Also looks wise where are some good website to buy parts for the mx 3? Im trying to find a new Precidia sticker as mine is wearing out and I would like a new one.
whitete

Re: Front grill change/question + more questions about body

Post by whitete »

i just did a DIY mod to my front bumper and i love the change this is the mod i will always do to all stock bumpers all i need is my lip back on

http://i1259.photobucket.com/albums/ii5 ... 135504.jpg if you would like to see it i uploaded it to photobucket let me know what you think as well
Red96'Mx3 KL-ZE 2.5, CAI, full 2.5'' exhaust,cat delete, black stock rims polished lip, cross drilled brakes, (aftermarket bumper with halo foglights-Needs work) .
http://www.cardomain.com/id/whitete

Previous rides
Purple94' Mx3 K8-ZE CAI, Exhaust, plugs,wires
Purple95' Mx3 K8 american, CAI, Exhaust, plugs, wires,cap/rotor fuel pump, short shift,
Black 94' Mx3 i4 Stock ( hit by dear )
stratman1988

Post by stratman1988 »

whitete wrote:i just did a DIY mod to my front bumper and i love the change this is the mod i will always do to all stock bumpers all i need is my lip back on

http://i1259.photobucket.com/albums/ii5 ... 135504.jpg if you would like to see it i uploaded it to photobucket let me know what you think as well
This looks great, more pics please!
'93 Blaze Red MX-3 SE
whitete

Post by whitete »

Red96'Mx3 KL-ZE 2.5, CAI, full 2.5'' exhaust,cat delete, black stock rims polished lip, cross drilled brakes, (aftermarket bumper with halo foglights-Needs work) .

Previous rides
Purple95' Mx3 K8 american, CAI, Exhaust, plugs, wires,cap/rotor fuel pump, short shift,
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

I would like to know where you got the black mesh? :) i have been looking for that style but most I see are diamond stamped mesh and I can get that at the home depot.
whitete

Post by whitete »

Hey josh if im not mistaking it "is" the diamond texture and im sure i picked it up at crappy tire garden section a while back it was in a roll and about 6 ft long i just painted it white thats all

Previous rides
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

you're going to need some serious skill to make the mouth wider than stock. The front bumper support fills the section between the upper and lower gaps. you really can't do jack with the upper aside from closing it off. In order to widen the main, you'll have to extend the entire bumper cover closer to the ground. It can be done, but the members who have been able to are not new to body work.
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

ok cool in the pic of the black mesh it just looked a little different. I am on the look out for a specific style and so far I can only find it on Ebay UK...

But back on the bumper, measure twice cut once. really I measure like 5 or 6 times... Best thing to do is mask it off with blue tape and then measure and draw it out then cut. you will have better results.
whitete

Post by whitete »

thanks josh for the tip :D ..

in all honestly i decided that minute to take my torch and heat up my knife and go to town and make it my own it is what it is, the bumper is due for paint very soon and i plan to fiberglas the lip and the inner portion all smooth.

Previous rides

Return to “Appearance”