KL-ZE ignition timing problem.. any advice???

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
fulton_008
antispam: No

KL-ZE ignition timing problem.. any advice???

Post by fulton_008 »

i have a 92 mx-3 1.8 and have swaped in the klze curved neck. i have the klze ecu. i am using the 1.8 distributor and maf sensor. the engine will start but runs like s--- when idleing. if i drive the car it seems to work fine but just runs shitty when at idle. i cross over the terminals in the diagnostic box to set up the ignition timing, put the timing light on and when i move the distributor i can not get the mark to go to the degree of spec, it moves when i turn the distributor but the mark is way up above where it should be... i thought maybe the mechanical timing was out so i pulled it all apart to check and it is all perfect.. any ideas??
fulton_008

Re: KL-ZE ignition timing problem.. any advice???

Post by fulton_008 »

im suspecting a vaccum problem....
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

If you can't get the timing on then the timing belt must be out a tooth. Suggest you double check that.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
fulton_008

Post by fulton_008 »

ok first of all.. what is the spec for ignition timing on the klze? and what is the spec for the 1.8?? the book im using is for the 1.8.. so perhaps i just have a rough idle problem instead of a timing issue..
Thanks So much!!
fulton_008

Post by fulton_008 »

oh and the timing belt is not off at all i had a mechanic look at it and compared the marks to the book..
Pritchett
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Pritchett »

Ignition timing for the 1.8 is 10-12 degrees BTDC, my KLZE runs best at 11 degrees
93 mx-3 GS (KLZE w/kl01 cams, XTD stage 3 clutch, Outlaw intake/throttle body spacers, throttle body coolant delete, headers, full 2.5" exhaust w/resonator and 40 series flowmaster, filled engine mounts)
99 silverado
fulton_008

Post by fulton_008 »

ok so new timing belt/water pump kit is in and ignition timing is all set up. Thanks!! now the car drives well and works amazing, but when i first start it up the revs shoot up high and then down low and it stalls.. i have to give it some throttle and slowly ease off it in order to keep it from stalling.. it will idle but jumps around slightly.. when shifting through the gears and driving it works great but as soon as you push the clutch in and let off the gas it stalls... idle air control valve or egr solenoids are my hunch.. any help or ideas would be great thanks!!!
mikeinaus

Post by mikeinaus »

those two could affect it. could also be due to a vacuum leak or incorrect tps/idle speed. whats your ignition timing set at?
fulton_008

Post by fulton_008 »

timing is set to 10 degrees
fulton_008

Post by fulton_008 »

ok so i didn't mean the egr solenoids... i ment the prc solenoid.. which would more likely be the cause of my problem the prc solenoid or the idle air control motor? and how would i test these two components?
fulton_008

prc, egr, vris solenoids... are they interchangable???

Post by fulton_008 »

the car drives well and works amazing, but when i first start it up the revs shoot up high and then down low and it stalls.. i have to give it some throttle and slowly ease off it in order to keep it from stalling.. it will idle but jumps around slightly and sometimes stalls. when shifting through the gears and driving it works great but as soon as you push the clutch in and let off the gas it stalls... idle air control valve or prc solenoid are my mechanics hunch.. he clearly told me that he checked the prc solenoid and it was not working.. but said that he though the iac was perhaps sticking and that i should replace it as well.. can i swap out any of the other solenoids in place of the prc to check and see if i can resolve my problem without replacing the iac?? any help or ideas would be great thanks!!!
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Vacuum.

That is all. You're chasing dead ends looking at hardware.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
mazda915

Post by mazda915 »

yea sounds like a vac , hook up a vac gauge n see where its at u should see 19-21 hg , if not in the spec then for sure vac leak n if its not well a lot of things can be . u should up grade u disty to the hei mod .
1992 gs k8ze . 4 inch tip 2.5 cat , cold air intake ,corksport front and rear stut bars home made upper pillar bar , prosport gauges,megan racing 4 pts harnest, 10,000 K HID's , ksport suspension ,
fulton_008

Post by fulton_008 »

Right on!! ok so i wont bother to purchase the idle air control valve, i will replace the prc solenoid and see where that takes me.. but do you know if i can swap out the vris solenoids or any of the egr solenoids to put in place of the prc?? they all look the same.. Thanks!!
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

The function is not always the same (normally open/closed), and the plugs are not the same between some. the VRIS are interchangeable though, and I think the EGR have a different plug.

You can grab the VRIS solenoids from any K series engine in a JY though. They're all the same.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”