Transmisison match question

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
wytbishop

Re: Transmisison match question

Post by wytbishop »

There are a few more details when swapping in a DE than a ZE, and I'm not totally familiar with them all, but as long as all the electronic parts that control the engine are speaking the same language it will run.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
MrSomebody
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by MrSomebody »

wytbishop wrote:There are a few more details when swapping in a DE than a ZE, and I'm not totally familiar with them all, but as long as all the electronic parts that control the engine are speaking the same language it will run.
Like what details ? I guess I will swap sensors + ignition from my k8, so it should run with my current stock k8 ECU.
Hope the engine size is not too different and mounting will be easy(should I worry about engine mounts and reenforce them?)
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

You need to do some reading. All of these questions have been answered many many times.

All K series engines use the same block casting, same mounts etc. You dont' have to reinforce the mounts for a 70hp increase.

If you're swapping in a DE I would swap in the DE's stock ECU, distributor and air flow sensor. I'm not sure if the Probe/MX-6/626 harness is compeltely compatible. That's where the details come in. A ZE is a direct swap. The K8 and ZE use all the same sensors, ECU pinouts, etc. A ZE is stright plug and play. I don't think the DE is quite so easy, but I've never done a DE swap.

Read the FAQ's.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
MrSomebody
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by MrSomebody »

wytbishop wrote:You need to do some reading. All of these questions have been answered many many times.

All K series engines use the same block casting, same mounts etc. You dont' have to reinforce the mounts for a 70hp increase.

If you're swapping in a DE I would swap in the DE's stock ECU, distributor and air flow sensor. I'm not sure if the Probe/MX-6/626 harness is compeltely compatible. That's where the details come in. A ZE is a direct swap. The K8 and ZE use all the same sensors, ECU pinouts, etc. A ZE is stright plug and play. I don't think the DE is quite so easy, but I've never done a DE swap.

Read the FAQ's.
I don't have ZE anywhere near me, for less than a 1500$! I don't think all those JDM sites all over the net will deliver good,low milage ZE engine,with no dirty surprises, so I can do 1:1 swap! I've been reading about DE swaps on 3 sites, and all of them have different opinion! For now I just think, i will just swap sensors and that's about it. My main idea was to replace my dead engine with something running. I had this KF, but I don't think it's a good idea, since I can get KL for the same ammount of money.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”