How do I properly test the internal ignition coil.

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
JeremyP

How do I properly test the internal ignition coil.

Post by JeremyP »

Hey all, iv been told to multi-meter the two end Prongs on the 3 wire plug connection to back of ditsy. Iv been told you do it well the car is off? Is this correct? If so, my reading is 0.. But car idles fine just stumbles so bad on hard accl it's not drive able. So what would be proper steps to check it? I'm electrically retarded..lol and may have done it wrong with the car being off.
94' KF-ZE, 2 Tone black and gray, Projectors and altezzas ( black ), CAI, moulded mazdaspeed mini sides. Raised spoiler.
JeremyP

Re: How do I properly test the internal ignition coil.

Post by JeremyP »

Just tested Multimeter on my wife's ring and got an ohms reading, so the meter is working. Tested that plug, with prongs on either end, meter didn't even move.
94' KF-ZE, 2 Tone black and gray, Projectors and altezzas ( black ), CAI, moulded mazdaspeed mini sides. Raised spoiler.
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
crazycanadian

Post by crazycanadian »

All of whats posted is good enough for the back yard guy to get an idea if the coil is working or not, but its not the actual way to test one...

The proper way to test a coil is by current ramp, and primary ignition pattern with a scope...

Resistance testing will only show you anything if the coil is actually dead, it wont tell you that its weak or failing... Neither will pull plug wires off...
JeremyP

Post by JeremyP »

I was testing wrong two prongs... I did a test on the two proper prongs and was getting a steady ohms readIng of 1.8 - 1.7, from what iv read, that's bad.. Gonna hit a junk yard and pray that there is a decent gs with a better reading, can't get a new one till Monday.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”