EVERYTHING EGR...

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Gods Father

EVERYTHING EGR...

Post by Gods Father »

i decided to write this to help anyone like me who supposedly "really needs to search" since the search on here can come up with a lot of meaningless conversation on the topic and it takes time to rummage through it all i was hoping to possibly get most of the information in one place possibly with all of your help :D

MAKE ANY CORRECTIONS NECESSARY

"Hi Bert"
"Hey Ernie Whats up?
"Nothing, just looking at my K8 and noticed i have that stupid motherF@#$%^& EGR and don't know what its for...what it does....or how to get rid of it!!!"
"Well let me help you out buddy"

My E.G.R. and Me...

EGR stands for...

Exhaust Gas Recirculation

What does an EGR do?

in essence it cuts down on the amount of NOx your engine produces...

How I wonder does my EGR work?

the EGR works like this...it recirculates gas into the cylinders and makes more sufficient use of oxygen; less excess (one of the factors of NOx) another is this recirculating makes the combustion temperature lower (another key factor in producing NOx) NOx is created by the mixture of oxygen and nitrogen (hence NOx; Nitrogen and Oxygen) NOx production is increased
with higher temperatures which the EGR also prevents.

THIS IS WHERE ITS CONFUSING (need some help here)

EGR AND K8:

As far as I know all K8s are equipped with this little mechanism. if this isnt working properly it will throw code 16. i know some people block them but it is debated over how well the engine will run without it...blocking can consist of either blocking it off with a plate and keeping the connections connected leaving the EGR dangling or disconnecting everything finding a new way of connecting hoses and wires. if you disconnect it the CEL will come on again throwing codes 16(for EGR) 28 and 29(for vent and vacuum solenoids) . supposedly the CEL for the EGR will not change any performance(like those due to having the CEL on)

ME, KLZE and my EGR: (the even more confusing part)

all KLZEs come with the the holes to mount the EGR to it on the back of the head. many people will take the EGRs out of the K8 and swap them onto the KLZE so that all the connections will still hook up. some people just plug up the EGR opening on the KLZE with a bracket. if your running a JDM ECU (KL31 or KL36) or a Probinatored K8 ecu you should be fine for CELs except codes 28 and 29(previosuly mentioned being for vent and vacuum solenoids) which can be fixed by plugging them up.

SO DO I NEED AN EGR?

if your running a KLZE and have either a JDM ECU or a Probinatored K8 ECU you should be able to just plug up the hole on the back of the block and the hole on the header and be ok other than maybe codes 28 and 29 which can be fixed by plugging up vent and vacuum lines.

Thats the best i could do hope this helps somebody...haha

IF THERES ANY QUESTIONS, SUGGESTIONS OR CORRECTIONS PLEASE REPLY TO THIS POST

THANKS GUYS
1993 MX-3 w/ straight neck KLZE swap...Probe GT 2.5in headers, Custom exhaust w/ test pipe and OBX Twin Loop Tip, Bully Stage 3 Clutch, Fidanza Flywheel, Pheno Spacers, HEI mod, Blaster SS coil, Probinator chip, TWM short shifter, AWR front and rear mounts (88 Durometer), and Corksport braided clutch line...so far

Ever see the lone rider of the night? Well he'll find you and then you'll never him again...
xxwhiteboyjim22xx

Re: EVERYTHING EGR...

Post by xxwhiteboyjim22xx »

so 4cyl dont have it? (yes i know its EXTREMELY NOOB to ask this but i really dont care and im done being affraid of you trolls)
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

I love my EGR we go on holidays together. When I ZE'd my car I bolted it onto the ZE so I wouldn't get a code and since I didn't have a bolt to plug the header hole I connected my exhaust to it. If you do this plug the hole in the front of the block or you'll leak exhaust gas. Now me and my friend EGR can go everywhere with my new ZE. The End.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

My egr and ze are hanging around, they are nopt together tho just friends.

To get rid of the code I justplugged the egr but I dont have it connected to the block.. what for!!

the hell with emissions LOL
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
EGR
Supporting Member

Post by EGR »

no, me and ze are no longer friends, that bish owes me money, so i kicked him to the curve
Bringing Love and Unity to all Mx3ers one engine at a time
colinsmx3

Post by colinsmx3 »

Well I employed MR.EGR to work for me but one day MR.EGR just stopped working for me, he just said "hey I thought about this and I don't think it's working out..." I'm like what the hell man my Emissions is tomorrow" He said " I don't care thats your problem not mine!" So ever since then I passed the test without that douch bag but he's still kickin around, just doesn't wanna work for me! :mrgreen:
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
EGR
Supporting Member

Post by EGR »

Look maybe if you weren't asking so much, and paying so little i would of stayed. Not to mention the working environment! Every time I started to do a job you would constantly rev the motor over and over, making my job a living hell. Do you understand how hot it gets under the hood? I asked you several times to try and take it easy on me so I could adjust better, but no you just kept reving and reving and reving till I got fed up.

So yea I left but its your fault!
Bringing Love and Unity to all Mx3ers one engine at a time
Leedeth

Post by Leedeth »

This thread is full of win. :lol:
92 MX-3 RS (B6-ME, MTX) - front/rear strut bars
shameem
Supporting Member

Post by shameem »

EGR wrote:Look maybe if you weren't asking so much, and paying so little i would of stayed. Not to mention the working environment! Every time I started to do a job you would constantly rev the motor over and over, making my job a living hell. Do you understand how hot it gets under the hood? I asked you several times to try and take it easy on me so I could adjust better, but no you just kept reving and reving and reving till I got fed up.

So yea I left but its your fault!
Maybe if you werent fooling around with his girl - playing with her exhaust and intake holes - he would have treated you better.... just saying ...
kira_kira
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by kira_kira »

ok so this mr.egr bastard is whats causing my revs to wander up and down? i thought it was a vac/vent prob but it was this cunning little bastard. i gots a j-spec klze in the engine bay, thought might as well save some trouble codes and bolt senor egr to the block and connect him in... he f&*kd me hard when i did the engine swap. always in the way and not wanting to accept the header line, being difficult. so if i just simply disconnect it from the headers and shut the punk up my revs will level out and not wander when its idling? or when i drop down from high rpm?
what you think id let u roll in a hyundai?
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Basically,,,,yes.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
kira_kira

Post by kira_kira »

thanks for letting me know, atleast now i can try to solve my problems thanks guys for the informative post ^_^ i dont know what id do without this site =D
MX-3zoom

Post by MX-3zoom »

Say I decide to block Mr. EGR, can I still keep my pet snail in the bay?
[What can you say, I have a fetish for 3's]
mikeetown wrote: Do what you want to do dude cause in the end, your mx-3 is all about you.
kira_kira

Post by kira_kira »

MX-3zoom wrote:Say I decide to block Mr. EGR, can I still keep my pet snail in the bay?
it should be fine all its doing is stopping the flow of exhaust back into the cylinders i think... in theory nothing will blow up =D... i hope lols. any other more informed opinions?

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”