Will Thomas 93 BPT-Tuning

In this section, Users can post worklogs for their vehicle and show users their projects. (MX-3 ONLY!). Please create only ONE topic when starting a project, and DO NOT create 2 worklogs for the same vehicle, even though they are different projects. READ THE STICKY!
Will Thomas
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Will Thomas 93 BPT-Tuning

Post by Will Thomas »

I purchased this car from nos92mx3 several months ago to use as a driver this summer while I switch my Infiniti P10 guts to a new shell. However, I really like this car and my intentions have totally changed. The P10 budget has been cut to get the car painted, running and tightened up to be used as a clean daily driver. I will sort out the MX while driving it this summer and go to work on her over the winter.

nos92mx3 had owned this MX for several years and some of you know of the car. Under the CF hood is a 1.8 BP with a T-Bird Turbo Coupe Turbocharger and an AEM FIC fuel controller sending signals to 550CC injectors. The car is stupid powerful and is capable of blistering the hides at 50mph by simply jabbing the throttle to the floor in 3rd gear. The engine internals are stock and said to be on borrowed time along with the tranny (haa haa haa in a wicked voice). Heavy doses of Meth in the form of winter windshield washer fluid injected at 250psi help to curb detonation at pressures well over 1 bar combined with very liberal timing. Needless to say, the prior owner had a feel for this car and knew exactly where it’s limits were. I have big shoes to fill as the new owner.

One of the first things I need to do is replace the Meth injection system because the original one now resides in Rynn’s WRX. So, for the time being we have backed the boost down to around 12psi. I will add a Devil’s Own boost referenced injection system as soon as funds allow.

As you can see by the two engine compartment shots, there is a bit of spaghetti theme going on under the hood. Allthough the previous owner is more than compitent to make a 300 WHP MX-3, he will be the first to admit that he is lacking in the neatness and plumming department.

I plan on cleaning up the wiring and plumbing ASAP along with a relocation of the battery to the trunk. In this pic, you can see the exhaust piping coming off the whastegate. It stayes divorced and never connects back into the exhaust system. When the gate opens, the car gets loud...lol.

When I got her home, the first thing I did was to clean out the interior. The driver's window regulator needs to be replaced thus the door panel is off. I have the part, so it will get remedied next Wednesday.

Not sure why so many of the interior panels are off, but I will get them put back on soon. I didn't bother to vacuum with my wimpy shop vac because tomorrow I will use the mack daddy vacuum and extractor at the dealership where I work.

I love this! It won't wash off.

I spent a very limited amount of time with the soap and water mainly to wash of the dust and get the glass clean. Hopefully, I can paint it before winter, but for now, I will give it a rat rod black rattle can job as they seem to be popular here and I'm a pro at it having done both my Civic and G20.

I want to re-fab the downpipe out of 3” 321 stainless (I have TIG at home) followed by complete exhaust. A MegaSquirt stand alone is on the shortlist as well. This will integrate the systems so to speak. Right now there is a factory EMS with fuel control piggybacked, separate boost control and meth injection on its own as well. With MS, all of these functions can operate from the EMS and timing control can be added. The car has a slight hesitation off idle and sometimes can be hard to start. These problems can be dialed out with the MS EMS.

Since the car was originally an RS model, it’s equipped with drum rear brakes and my intention is to autocross and track the car, so I will pay attention to the braking system. Planed are a rear disk swap and a home brewed big brake front kit with Wilwood calipers. I have a milling machine, so spindle mods and custom dog bone spacers are not a problem. The master cylinder will probably need to be replaced and a proportioning valve added depending on the piston bores of the calipers.

Well, that's it for now. I will be sure to document everything I do to the car, so make sure you subscribe.
Last edited by Will Thomas on May 3rd, 2012, 6:47 am, edited 7 times in total.
William
The Beast Worklog viewtopic.php?f=46&t=79327
93 MX-3 BP+T all kinds of fast stuff
2X93 Infiniti G-20s
97 Civic
07 Santa Fe
AaronTietje
antispam: No

Re: Will Thomas' 93 MX-3 BPT "The Beast"

Post by AaronTietje »

Hey, glad to see you put up a thread. We're def going to have to get together this summer.
We all want to be fast and look cool. Cool changes but fast never does.
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

Very Nice, glad to see you are here starting a WL.

your hesitation and slight lag is probably from the massive 550cc injectors. If you step them down to a 310 or 330cc injector it will be a lot more responsive and with that turbo at full boost you wont max them out. the RX7 460 and 550 injectors are monsters and that is a typical issue.

Welcome again, and I am very excited what you have planned.
Will Thomas

Post by Will Thomas »

Josh wrote:Very Nice, glad to see you are here starting a WL.

your hesitation and slight lag is probably from the massive 550cc injectors. If you step them down to a 310 or 330cc injector it will be a lot more responsive and with that turbo at full boost you wont max them out. the RX7 460 and 550 injectors are monsters and that is a typical issue.

Josh, I love your AWD MX. You are right about the injectors being big. The only time the car was dynoed was with the previous turbo which was puny and it made something like 242 WHP. When the boost is cranked to 19psi with the larger turbo and the meth is installed, it's probably putting down just over 300 WHP. A 440 or 460 injector might be better than the 550s. However, I will hold off on replacing them until I get the MS installed and tuned.
The injectors and the computer (stock BP, not BPT) are not getting along. The FIC doesn't take over until there is boost. With the MS, I will be able to tune timing and fuel during cranking and just off idle hopefully curing the issue.
William
2X93 Infiniti G-20s
97 Civic
07 Santa Fe
nos92mx3
Supporting Member

Post by nos92mx3 »

The lag and hesitation is due to the Tps enrichment settings in the FIC, very lackluster to say the least, not to mention the injector voltage scaling sucks.

The turbo is a garrett 60 trim so the 330's wont cut it, I had a set of 460's that were at about 90% duty cycle, hence the Evo 560's, deleted the vaf and used the custom IAT sensor, which took care of ALOT of the hesitation/ off idle performance.
I was talking to Will today and a Turbo ecu wired correctly with the variable Tps would solve his issues, but I think hes gonna squirt it :twisted:
92' Rs-t b6t/De - RIP

93' Rs-t BPT - Sold

03' WRB wrx Wagon - Current
nos92mx3
Supporting Member

Post by nos92mx3 »

Will Thomas wrote:

Josh, I love your AWD MX. You are right about the injectors being big. The only time the car was dynoed was with the previous turbo which was puny and it made something like 242 WHP. When the boost is cranked to 19psi with the larger turbo and the meth is installed, it's probably putting down just over 300 WHP. A 440 or 460 injector might be better than the 550s. However, I will hold off on replacing them until I get the MS installed and tuned.
The injectors and the computer (stock BP, not BPT) are not getting along. The FIC doesn't take over until there is boost. With the MS, I will be able to tune timing and fuel during cranking and just off idle hopefully curing the issue.
The FIC controls all of the fueling, It has 2 fuel maps.
1 based on VAF voltage/ rpm
1 based on MAP pressure / rpm

After Logging and tweaking for about a week, I used the vaf map for 0-13 PSIA ( absolute PSI) and 13-35 I used the map reading.
They intersect just before boost, so your not running overly rich and you dont get a lean crossover. Like i told you earlier, if you could stay out of it for a tank of gas, i bet you would average hi 20's if not 30 mpgs.

The car is pretty fast and I miss it already, just had to get a kid hauler. :crying:

Heres a video on Facebook (sorry phone wouldnt cooperate) thats 1-4th(rolling on it in 1st) about 300ft short of 1/4 mile
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10150612125053757
92' Rs-t b6t/De - RIP

93' Rs-t BPT - Sold

Will Thomas

Post by Will Thomas »

Yes, I am gonna SQUIRT it, but let me say, the hesitation really isn't that much of an issue. Out of habit, I always rap the gas pedal twice before taking off from a light or backing out of a parking spot and I don't really notice it (it's that slight). It does affect the starting and the IAC function doesn't function properly. Again, not a big deal on a toy that is intended to "decimate all" LMAO. It's a timing issue, like the signal isn't getting to the injectors on time. The wideband shows lean for a split second when you push the throttle as it bogs then revs and it's only off idle. It's about .3-.5 second dead spot.

Plans for this weekend include replacing the window regulator and reinstalling the interior, installing the PS belt and making the temp gauge opperable. Pics to follow.
William
2X93 Infiniti G-20s
97 Civic
07 Santa Fe
Will Thomas

Re: Will Thomas' 93 MX-3 BPT Engine Bay Tidy and Re-Plumb

Post by Will Thomas »

Well, the PS belt is in and the temp gauge works, but the driver's door is still panelless. On the bright side, I dug headfirst into the engine compartment and started by removing the battery and a bunch of the turbo piping. I painted the pipes because some were aluminum, some were steel and some were painted. I did ALOT of rewiring to clean things up. I like black wires (unless power wires) and I like to use shrink wrap connectors with shrink wrap (in black) over the top. I replaced some of the vacuum lines and re-routed everything so it looks like a proper tuck.

Check out the before and afters.

BEFORE: All function and no form. Some of the chassis grounds were redone with high quality audio power cable. However, it was red and that means power. The vacuun lines associated with the wastegate, BOV and boost controller were long and ziptied and some connections were spliced into plugs that had no recepticle.

BEFORE: Here you can see some frayed groudwires, plumbing for the boost control valve and the overflow line for the radiator. The overflow tank was at the bottom driver's side of the rad. The big plug is the connection for the wide band O2 sensor.

AFTER: Cleaned, shortened, painted and tucked. I did the same thing with my G20 and it not only looks good, but most importantly, I learn the layout under the hood and get to know the car. On two occasions today, I had to call Rynn (previous owner) because I forgot where stuff went. Thanks Rynn! I almost boosted where I was supposed to be sucking negative BARs. In the near future, I will polish the valve cover, make new IC piping and clean the intake and TB.

This is the Rynn cold air intake. I love this thing! Thanks Rynn! All I need is a straight pipe going into it instead of the curved one. When I picked up the car, Rynn threw this into the trunk and said "this is just something I was working on".I like it and think it looks baddass!

The jug with the pink lid is the RAD overflow tank. I relocated it from the lower driver's side of the RAD to this pocket next to the PS reservoir.

This was the spaghetti I spoke of before. As you can see, everything has it's place now. I love a tidy engine compartment. Next up, more paint and polish.

I don't have a before shot of this space. The zip ties catch the hood prop and are temporary until I find a clip to latch it to.

When I finished all the work, I started it and only three cylinders were firing. #2 was dead and I spent an hour cleaning plugs, testing plug wires, checking the disty cap. I should have checked the plug to the injector on #2. I knocked it loose when routing the vacuum line for the FPR. I might have screwed up the wideband O2 in all this because it it reading stoich when it will normally fluctuate between 11.7:1 and as high as 16:1 under no load crusing. I backed the boost down to 9# and test drove her gingerly. She runs GREAT! I'm not sure if anything changed, but knowing I have good electrical connections and knowing whats what under the hood makes me feel better when driving it. I will figure out the O2 sensor thing this week, but based on the driving I did, I'm thinking it's the gauge and not the tune.
William
2X93 Infiniti G-20s
97 Civic
07 Santa Fe
Evo_Spec

Post by Evo_Spec »

the work in the engine bay looks great, good job!

i love that air box thingy for the intake, i want one!!!
any info on what he used or anything?
Will Thomas

Post by Will Thomas »

Evo_Spec wrote:the work in the engine bay looks great, good job!

i love that air box thingy for the intake, i want one!!!
any info on what he used or anything?

It was thin plastic and I think he used a heat gun to bend it over a pipe or something. I took some semi gloss spray bomb and sprayed a couple dry coats on it. The rubber on the edges is some trim that looks like the stuff pressed on the door openings in a car and the rubber that the pipe goes into is the rubber piece that goes to a MAF (not sure what car though lol) inside is a 3" plastic 45 degree elbow with an AEM dri-flow filter. It is attached with velcro at the fender and on the frame head. I asked Rynn about it today and he said it was just a template and that he wanted to do it in fiberglass or aluminum. If I were to do it in aluminum, I might TIG the pipe in so I didnt need the rubber coupler and use dzeus fasteners to hold it on. Maybe I will make one when I start the new IC piping and if it gets enough interest, I will make them for the members here. He had a great idea and I think it really looks clean and keeps the heat away from the intake air (well most of the heat).
William
2X93 Infiniti G-20s
97 Civic
07 Santa Fe
Evo_Spec

Post by Evo_Spec »

i agree that it makes the engine bay look cleaner, i love the idea and think it's super cool and would definitely interested if you made one or even buy that old one off you
nos92mx3
Supporting Member

Post by nos92mx3 »

Get a brake cooling duct like so :
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NACA-Air-Duct-C ... 5ae57b3520

Cut the front bumper and plumb it into the fenderwell for some nice ice cold air.

That was my original plan i think it would look pretty cool painted black and riveted to the front bumper :D
92' Rs-t b6t/De - RIP

93' Rs-t BPT - Sold

nos92mx3
Supporting Member

Post by nos92mx3 »

The intake shield was originally made from abs plastic Aka $6.99 storage tote from walmart lol.

Will we can do it out of aluminum no problem as long as i win this metal brake off of ebay, I have to do some fabrication with the subaru, stupid flat 4 runs hotttt.
92' Rs-t b6t/De - RIP

93' Rs-t BPT - Sold

Will Thomas

Post by Will Thomas »

Sweet :D

I need to get argon asap :welder:
William
2X93 Infiniti G-20s
97 Civic
07 Santa Fe
Will Thomas

Post by Will Thomas »

Spent an hour or so tinkering with the car before work this morning. Replaced the window regulator and got the door panel back on and cleaned up some flaky paint and repaired one of the larger dings in the door. Anywhere I apply bondo, I take down to bare metal so I don't have to redo it when I put a real paint job on the car. For the temporary matte black spray can job though I will just scuff it up and feather the edges on the flaky paint.

Looks good with the door panel on and it'll be nice to have a functioning window. Thanks Sleeper6

Take to bare metal where the Bondo goes. In the areas where the paint is flaking, I hold the DA flat to the surface and sand. The paint kept flaking, so I sanded until it stopped and feathered. I am glad it stopped flaking because I don't feel like taking the whole car to bare metal just yet.

Threw a little primer on it to prevent rust. I'm using spray can primer because it will be easier to take to bare metal when I am ready to do this right. Arrrggggg, I ran out, but it covered pretty well. Time to restock the spray bomb cabinet.

I'm off tomorrow, so I expect to make some real progress on the car :D
William
2X93 Infiniti G-20s
97 Civic
07 Santa Fe

Return to “MX-3 Worklogs”