Axle Nut of Death

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
onlytrueromeo

Re: Axle Nut of Death

Post by onlytrueromeo »

Have you checked your ball joints, bushings, etc? If things are shaking violently like that I don't know if it's the CV. Normally its clicks when it wears out
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

I replaced the CV this morning, and solved the problem, took several hard turns with it, drove it on the highway to work, and it's great. the axle was the issue no doubt about it, and it was the passenger side at that.

I drove it 900 miles in the course of two days, and it didn't exhibit any concerning issues turning. it set on saturday, then sunday morning, it clunked, grinded, and vibrated violently... again only on a left turn, or merging lanes. I am familiar with an old CV axle poping and clacking, but not doing the above.
I'm dying to sate my curiosity on this so I'm going to pull off the boots to have a looksee what went wrong.
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by MrMazda92 »

Josh wrote:Depending on your wheels you may be able to fit the socket in the center and put the breaker bar on the ground and back up... I have done it :freak:
That's awesome, I don't know if I could bring myself to do it though. :lol: I'd have to try everything else first I think...
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

Why do you mention umcamara?

He's one of the only board members I'ev actually met... I borrow textbooks from him too.

Checking the axle... Put on some gloves, get it in a vice, and torque and wiggle the outer joint. If its loose at all, that would be bad. Should have extremely minute or no play.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”