alignment issues

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
jeffs93toy
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

alignment issues

Post by jeffs93toy »

So I went to get an alignment today after all to work I did to the rear end I knew I had knocked it out a bit. So I go to the shop and im 1.8* off on the ds and 1.6* off on the passenger side, both rear. The shop tells me that they cant fix the camber because of the 2in drop on the car.

So my question is this (and yes I just did a quick search and just pulled up a bunch on coilovers), Is there a rear camber adjustment kit for this car? I imagine there is as many of you have lowered you mx3.

Thanks in advanced.
mikeinaus
antispam: No

Re: alignment issues

Post by mikeinaus »

do you have camber bolts?
crazycanadian

Post by crazycanadian »

jeffs93toy wrote:So I went to get an alignment today after all to work I did to the rear end I knew I had knocked it out a bit. So I go to the shop and im 1.8* off on the ds and 1.6* off on the passenger side, both rear. The shop tells me that they cant fix the camber because of the 2in drop on the car.

So my question is this (and yes I just did a quick search and just pulled up a bunch on coilovers), Is there a rear camber adjustment kit for this car? I imagine there is as many of you have lowered you mx3.

Thanks in advanced.
Are you 1.8 , 1.6 deg negative or postive? Is this the rear or front?
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Did you rotate your strut mounts?
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

Good point^^^ first thing to check

I know when I had my car done after the eibachs 1.3" drop, I was within factory spec at like -1 or -1.3 deg all the way around. I did not end up needing camber bolts, but with a 2" drop you will need them for sure.
jeffs93toy

Post by jeffs93toy »

do you have camber bolts
No, thats what I was looking for, where and how are they installed?
Rear and if im not mistaken negative (the bottoms of the tires are pulled in towards the car.
Did you rotate your strut mounts?
no I did not.
I did not end up needing camber bolts, but with a 2" drop you will need them for sure.
good to know.

So again Ill ask how the camber bolts are installed and where, Ill admit, never lowered a car before and I quite obviously overlooked the alignment.
Evo_Spec

Post by Evo_Spec »

jeffs93toy wrote:
do you have camber bolts
No, thats what I was looking for, where and how are they installed?
google my friend, or this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIBFXe5SW8A
jeffs93toy wrote:
Rear and if im not mistaken negative (the bottoms of the tires are pulled in towards the car.
i think that's positive camber, negative is if the top of the tires are towards the car

Positive, Negative.
ImageImage
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

jeffs93toy wrote:
I did not end up needing camber bolts, but with a 2" drop you will need them for sure.
good to know.

So again Ill ask how the camber bolts are installed and where, Ill admit, never lowered a car before and I quite obviously overlooked the alignment.
If the bottom of the tire is pulled in towards the car then the top it being pushed away, if that's the case that is Positive camber which is the worst kind.

The bolts install into one of the strut mount holes on each wheel and pivot off of the other none camber bolt. Then the shop will pivot the bolt until the camber is at the desired location. the only other option is camber plates and they are pricey, I would try the bolts first.
jeffs93toy

Post by jeffs93toy »

Great link evo, Ill give the bolts a shot first. Thanks to all who replied.
crazycanadian

Post by crazycanadian »

When you were hit in the rear and things were tweeked what was done to fix it???

Double check your readings, because if you have a positive camber problem then you have something more going on then just being lowered...

Also double check how the upper mounts are installed... I'd have to go to my garage to double check but I believe they are off set...

Honda's have camber problems when lowering... Your mx3 shouldn't... Not at 2"....

I really think if you have a positive camber problem you have something else going on.. I would get under the car and measure your control arms... I have a feeling someone has installed 323/protege rear control arms... 323/protege arms will fit but are slightly shorter... With having mx3 rear arms in my car I get 1.4 - 1.6 deg neg camber in the rear on my winter stock set up... In the summer on my coil overs with around a 3 - 4" drop I get 1.7 - 1.9 deg neg... Both my stock set up and my coil over set up use stock upper mounts and has no camber adjustments...
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

crazycanadian wrote: I really think if you have a positive camber problem you have something else going on.. I would get under the car and measure your control arms... I have a feeling someone has installed 323/protege rear control arms... 323/protege arms will fit but are slightly shorter... With having mx3 rear arms in my car I get 1.4 - 1.6 deg neg camber in the rear on my winter stock set up... In the summer on my coil overs with around a 3 - 4" drop I get 1.7 - 1.9 deg neg... Both my stock set up and my coil over set up use stock upper mounts and has no camber adjustments...

Good call on that! I was trying to think why one would have + camber with a 2" drop, it should be in the -'s... That could totally do it.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

i was also suprised when you said positive camber. When you shorten the strut, which is effectively what you're doing, the tendancy should be for the wheel to rotate up adding negative camber.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”