Axle Nut of Death

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
SuperK
Supporting Member

Re: Axle Nut of Death

Post by SuperK »

I am very confident that my new 3/4 drive 40" monster will take care of it. I got four axle nuts off with the 1/2 inch before it broke, so it was capable, but only for a little while.

6 ft of bar and 3/4 inch drive, we should be good!
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

You should just invest in a good impact wrench. Instead of just turning nut it also hammers on it
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
WhiteFinish

Post by WhiteFinish »

Just another Mx3 freak :)

Feedback topic: Click

Worklog
Worklog click
mikeinaus
antispam: No

Post by mikeinaus »

onlytrueromeo wrote:After getting sick of bashing knuckles, smashing or grinding bolts off, and struggling with breaker bars, I bought this.

http://www.amazon.com/NitroCat-1200-K-2 ... B002Q8A98M

Got it at a better price, and I believe it's one of the models that's USA made, if that makes a difference.

I have not found anything it has not been able to take off yet. Make sure if you get an impact, get some good quality impact drivers. 6 Points, not 12 and if they aren't impact quality they may explode on use...
how long ago did you buy this? ive never herd of this brand before this post but after some research these impacts look awesome. from what ive read the 1200k is a twin clutch and isnt as durable as the 1100k which is twin hammer. do you use it professionally, or at home? from my research the 1200k is more comfortable (less torque on your wrist) and would be better suited to home use, but it requires slightly more maintenance then your average gun. i think im going to get the 1100k for work, thanks for sharing this awesome tool :mrgreen: very fairly priced aswell.
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

I found them doing some research on nicely priced guns. They aren't the best, but for the money I could not find anything that could compare. I did research on the 1100 vs 1200, and the results were not certain enough for me - so I went with the 1200 which was rated better for home use. I only use it at home, have had it over a year and used it a dozen times. I do not have an oiler yet, but will be putting one in when I get my 220 compressor running. I squirt oil in it before and after every use, and during if I'm using it hard.

No complaints so far, but I am not really the one to talk to if you're looking at it for professional use.
mikeinaus

Post by mikeinaus »

yeah oil is a good idea. from what ive read that gun is only happy when its oiled on an extremely regular basis. grab some non-detergent 30 weight oil, supposedly that gun isnt meant to use standard air gun oil... ive read these guns outperform some 3/4 drive snap on impacts.
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

well the extra large bar did the job... with the extra 6ft pipe, oh man, that "snap" is so satisfying man, oh yeah 8)

It went like this:
*stomp, stomp, SNAP!* (Replace "snap" sound with "Ooooh yeah...")

*stomp, stomp... ooooh yeaahh....*
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

I had one snap so hard a couple of years ago that I thought my 1/2" bar had broken. I though that was pretty incredible until I read that a bunch of you have actually broken 24" long 1/2" drive breaker bars....holy feck!!! I've broken a ratchet but never a breaker bar.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Yeah, I've broken a half dozen ratchets this past year, mostly 3/8" drive being used with a long cheater bar...

Never broken a breaker bar though, no matter how much leverage I've applied.
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

So, related to axle nuts, I finally got a pair! (any takers on that comment? Where's Daninksi?) off the car. I replaced both axles because it felt like the tire was going to fall off taking a right hand turn.

And.. I held both axles (unlovingly) in my hands and thought, "what makes this one good... and this one bad?"

And I looked upon the bad one:

And said, "It's rusty! I must replace it!"

So seriously, how do you tell a cv axle is bad when you're inspecting it out of the car? And of course they all get rusty, in case someone was going to jab at that too, I'm stealing your fun
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

Things I have tried

- Torch, is always a good way

- Depending on your wheels you may be able to fit the socket in the center and put the breaker bar on the ground and back up... I have done it :freak:

- 6' pipe, if this give out when jumping up and down I break out the \/ \/

- Chisel, and the 1lb hammer that does not work I break out the 3lb hammer.

- Still no dice!!.. Out comes the dremel and the side grinder. I cut along the flat edges of the nut to the back without cutting the threads. Precision is crucial here. then after you cut enough off you can get at it with the chisel and hammer again.

That's all I got. I have used them all.... that is why I put on a couple drops of WD40 to help prevent rust from forming.
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

You could put some anti-seize on the threads so it's easier to take off next time.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
mikeinaus

Post by mikeinaus »

SuperK wrote:So, related to axle nuts, I finally got a pair! (any takers on that comment? Where's Daninksi?) off the car. I replaced both axles because it felt like the tire was going to fall off taking a right hand turn.

And.. I held both axles (unlovingly) in my hands and thought, "what makes this one good... and this one bad?"

And I looked upon the bad one:

And said, "It's rusty! I must replace it!"

So seriously, how do you tell a cv axle is bad when you're inspecting it out of the car? And of course they all get rusty, in case someone was going to jab at that too, I'm stealing your fun
usually if the boot is torn is bad or going bad extremely soon. i guess turning it on different angles, if there is any catching or "chunky" feeling id think they were bad. you can also pull them slightly. you should feel the gears disconnect with a nice "thump" feeling (hard to explain) they are probably still ok. basically if they feel loose or sloppy or hard to move there probably bad id assume.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Yeah when the boot tears, the lubricant will quickly be washed away and then corrosion will start in the joint. That tripod joint is constantly articulating as it rotates so when it starts to corrode it wears very quickly and will get noisy in a hurry.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

I guess I will pull off the boots for curiosity's sake, the boots are not torn at all on it. It didn't make a noise, it would shake the car on left turns, violently, with a grinding noise. visually it looks great on the outside, maybe it will make sense with the boot off.

All six ratchets... they must have broken while replacing the hatch struts... Oh man do I miss Umcamara so...
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”