Axle Nut of Death

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
SuperK
Supporting Member

Axle Nut of Death

Post by SuperK »

so, pop the hub cap off the rims, get to the axle nut, ready my 1/2" drive 32mm socket and breaker bar (18"). stomp stomp stomp!

... nothing.

3 Ft metal pole added. STOMP STOMP!

... nothing.

6 ft metal pole added. STOMP STOMP STOMP CRACK!

... breaker bar broke :cry:

harbor freight, you have another one to replace! I'm on my 3rd one now.

I broke down and went to northern tools and got... what I now call... Breaker Bar 9000! it weighs 8.5 pounds.

3/4 drive 40" bar

Let's see who breaks who this time!
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Re: Axle Nut of Death

Post by MrMazda92 »

Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

Did you take pry out portion where it's staked? I usually pry it out with chisel and then use my impact gun and it comes right off.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

yeah I got a flat edge screwdriver and pried out teh notched portion. You must have a heckuva impact! I got some cheapy Lowes Kobalt impact kit for 50 bucks on a black friday sale, and it does nothing on anything. You get what you pay for sometimes...
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

I can relate to this... I remember breaking several breaker bars in conjunction with a 5 foot lead pipe :freak:

I have a 1/2" 36" bar now that has worked well. I've got to replace my pass axle sometime soon so we'll see if it still works!
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

I used at one point, a dash rebar and a 3/4" drive.

Try tightening it first... oddly enough this helps. Also put just the socket on, and whack that with a hammer good and solid a few times (as opposed to many weakling times denting your socket to s---)
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

After getting sick of bashing knuckles, smashing or grinding bolts off, and struggling with breaker bars, I bought this.

http://www.amazon.com/NitroCat-1200-K-2 ... B002Q8A98M

Got it at a better price, and I believe it's one of the models that's USA made, if that makes a difference.

I have not found anything it has not been able to take off yet. Make sure if you get an impact, get some good quality impact drivers. 6 Points, not 12 and if they aren't impact quality they may explode on use...
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

gee WIZ, 1200ft lbs! the thing is, it doesn't even require that much air, 4cfm @ 90-120! That'd work with my compressor...
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
_-Night-Shade-_

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ »

Holy crap! That's a proper impact.
--------------------------------------------
[WORKLOG] [FOR SALE] [Wishlist] [Feedback]
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

I'd call it, "Impact Wrench 9000!"
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Tightening then trying to loosen is a certified routeen. I've used it many times trying to get screws out of aircraft panels.
One wheel nut on my 96 needed a 3/4 drive bar with 5' pipe and my fat bast*rd friend who weighted 300+ bouncing on the end. Dremeling the thing off works as well.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Inodoro Pereyra

Post by Inodoro Pereyra »

I'm with Romeo on this one. I've had the same problem on my Protege. Broke 4 Home Depot breaker bars in one afternoon, and ended taking it out with a chisel and sledge hammer.
Get an impact wrench. Even a 350 Ft/Lbs one would work.

Just DON'T BUY the AAP impact sockets. They're garbage.
U28sIG5vdyB5b3UgYWxzbyBrbm93IGJhc2UgNjQuLi5odWg/DQpTSE9XIE9GRiEhIQ==

"The more I know man, the more I love my dog."

Diogenes of Sinope.
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

SuperK wrote:yeah I got a flat edge screwdriver and pried out teh notched portion. You must have a heckuva impact! I got some cheapy Lowes Kobalt impact kit for 50 bucks on a black friday sale, and it does nothing on anything. You get what you pay for sometimes...
Mine is rated at 230ft lbs. I bought it as a kit (impact/air ratchet) years ago from HF, they don't that particular one anymore but there's similar one at 250ft lbs for $25.
I'd put some penetrating oil on the nut and let it soak. I wonder if someone used some locktite on the treads. Might have to use some heat on there.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

Penetrating oil will do wonders, it could definitely help.

I think they under-rate the air needed for the AirCat I listed, but I have used it on a small compressor before. It will not work for long but you can get bursts from it, which should be all you need to break it free. I have an extra IngRand gun that I got for free, solid metal. Does not compare. The aircat is smooth, quiet, and sooo much more powerful.

Trust me, that and my angle grinder have been some of my favorite tools for working on car maintenance. The only thing that pisses me off about car work is when things don't go the way they're supposed to - i.e. stuck bolts, sheared bolts, clips that wont unclip. I've acquired tools now that ignore the PITA that these items can be. And I am much happier that the problems don't add 2-4 hours to the project time!

If you cannot buy an impact, I would suggest penetrating oil for a few days, if that doesn't work, wash it with water, and try to torch it and alternate the heat with a hammer/breaker bar. Wash it because the penetrating oil makes toxic fumes when heated.
jeffs93toy

Post by jeffs93toy »

any kind of oil and a propane torch... in that order... worked wonders on the rear through bolts for the lateral link and control arm, on the wheel side.

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”