I wonder how our forum members turned out...

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
SuperK
Supporting Member

I wonder how our forum members turned out...

Post by SuperK »

With the resurgence of me, Fowljesse, and the brief reappearance (albeit to sell off his car) of bumpysbro, i really get curious to know what happened to a lot of our old forum members...

Muttpower - he had a orange mx-3, I saw him briefly this summer at ft campbell ky while picking up some parts. He hasn't been on in a while.

OROutdoors - Very respectable guy. First transactions on this forum was to him.

Limegreenmx3 - he's visited recently but never posted in a long time.

Oldman - really good guy, he helped me when I first had trouble with my ze. He worked at carpet manufacturing plant and had two mx-3's. Last i heard is he was seeing several doctors because of a knee injury from an old war wound. Apparently the pain was becoming too hard to bear, however doctors couldn't figure out what was wrong, and kept loading him up with more and more pain killers. I tried calling him after a while to see how he was doing and his number was disconnected. He had a son too, that he was trying to fix up his mx-3 for. I wish I knew more, and hope he and his family is still doing well.

mx3kid16 - a bit of a tool, but potentially a good guy if he matured some.

Gro Harlem - DAMN YOU GRO!!! I don't blame you for everything this car's done, but I blame you for EVERYTHING THIS CAR HAS PUT ME THROUGH!!!!

Who do you think of?
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
DeadMaker
antispam: No

Re: I wonder how our forum members turned out...

Post by DeadMaker »

Limegreenmx3 has,had? an amazing mx3..I think it was for ice race.
I remember him replying in my first topics..
Black Mazda Mx3 Rs 1997 B6DE
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

old man moved to Winnipeg right but carpet?? He was a diesel mechanic. I sent him a throttle body a couple years ago.
Bastion, Coleman actually came on here a while ago but didn't answer my PM :(
People do lurk. Flyer is one, he is one lurky SOB. :lol:

EDIT: oh ya I was thinking of someone else not old man. Anyway, I think oldman had a lot of nerve calling himself that without consulting me first. :wink:
Last edited by Daninski on February 9th, 2012, 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

IIRC, OROutdoors is the closest member to where I live, followed by the Portland/Vancouver, WA crowd. He seemed pretty cool, I have noticed he stopped posting...

I think a lot of people fell out of touch when their cars became more problem than pleasure, sad as it is to say. Loving and maintaining a 20 year old car isn't for everybody... Dollar for dollar, you'll never come close to breaking even. Experiences though, can be worth the high cost. I wouldn't have discovered this community if I hadn't stumbled across an MX-3 on Craigslist randomly, and I'm glad for it.

I for one KNOW I'll never see the money I've put into my car so far again, let alone what I have yet to put in. :shrug: The truth is, not everyone can afford to do it, and people don't like admitting it, so they just leave...
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

you'll never break even on any car. if you buy a new car you effectively toss your monthly payments out the window, because each year your car loses it's value. Our cars are generally no different. the money spent on keeping it up, is probably the same amount you spend on a new car as it's breaking itself down.

Dan - he was a mechanic at the carpet industry, Shaw or Mohawk i forget which one. I didn't know he moved to winnipeg though... we talking about the same guy? I really hope him the best, he has helped me tremendously and I always wanted to find a way to help him back.

He lived in georgia.
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

SuperK wrote:you'll never break even on any car. if you buy a new car you effectively toss your monthly payments out the window, because each year your car loses it's value. Our cars are generally no different. the money spent on keeping it up, is probably the same amount you spend on a new car as it's breaking itself down.
That's why you just upgrade. I kinda liked that reason, always an excuse. Waterpump going and timing belt needs to be replaced? KLZE swap! Broken spring? Suspension upgrade! Rusty exhaust and loud muffler? Full stainless exhaust with headers! There's always regular maintenance too, but always keep on the move for better as you go.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Yeah, amen to that... doing routine maintenance without "upgrades" will save you a TON of money. Do I need another engine? No... 175,000 miles and the only things I've replaced are FGS and one valve cover gasket. Do I want 100+ more HP at my disposal? Yes... :lol:

You'll never break even, but careful routine maintenance with affordable products(especially on a car like a Civic, where parts are cheeeaaaapppp) can be almost as cheap as riding the bus! Time you can spend working instead of riding is included.

Then there are those people that drive a car into the ground... no oil changes for 30,000 miles, buying used/mismatched tires with torn up tread b/c they're cheap/free, and driving it like a grandma. I know a guy who got his POS Ford for free, and fills the tank every 2 weeks as his only "maintenance"; He's put over 20,000 on the car, and as much as it twists my heart out to see anyone abuse their car, his costs are ridiculously low.

Would I do it? Hell, fricken no!! I might go as far as running cheapie conventional oil to 5,000 miles though, if the car was a POS to begin with. :shrug: Then rebuild the engine and run mobile 1 full synthetic. :lol:
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
im2bad4ya

Post by im2bad4ya »

Limegreenmx3 - that's a throwback!

Bochek & mr1in6billion - These two guys helped me out a lot when i first started

lakersfan1 & atlantamx3 - where are they now??

-1992 MX-3 RS w/BP Swap Tropical Emerald Metallic "Lucky" 2005-2012 *REST IN PIECES*
Worklog: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=78176

-2003.5 MAZDASPEED Protege #882 Blazing Yellow Mica "Lemon Drop" 2012-2015 SOLD!

-2003 MAZDASPEED Protege #1186 Spicy Orange "Debbie" 2014-2015 SOLD!

-1980 Toyota Corolla Green 2014-present

-2002 Lexus IS 300 Solar Yellow 2015-present
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

turbo Ric yo!
Lime was a "different" member. Knew his stuff tho
im2bad4ya

Post by im2bad4ya »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:
SuperK wrote:you'll never break even on any car. if you buy a new car you effectively toss your monthly payments out the window, because each year your car loses it's value. Our cars are generally no different. the money spent on keeping it up, is probably the same amount you spend on a new car as it's breaking itself down.
That's why you just upgrade. I kinda liked that reason, always an excuse. Waterpump going and timing belt needs to be replaced? KLZE swap! Broken spring? Suspension upgrade! Rusty exhaust and loud muffler? Full stainless exhaust with headers! There's always regular maintenance too, but always keep on the move for better as you go.
You're not lying. I mechanically abused the ish out of my B6, had oil leaks, and I never changed the oil or the filter in like 2 years. Whatever oil leaked I just added every month. It was the little engine that could. But when the engine finally gave out, it gave me an excuse to to get the BP. I had a crappy suspension, UPGRADE. terrible muffler, UPGRADE. squishy breaks (probably the only thing I kept OEM as far as fixing). I think I've had it easier on account that I didn't pay for my car, it was given to me.

-1992 MX-3 RS w/BP Swap Tropical Emerald Metallic "Lucky" 2005-2012 *REST IN PIECES*

-2003.5 MAZDASPEED Protege #882 Blazing Yellow Mica "Lemon Drop" 2012-2015 SOLD!

fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Well, I can tell you about a couple of them. Lakersfan bought a new Mazda6.. or some cool new Mazda. He wanted to leave this scene, and his MX-3 for personal reasons. OrOutdoors got married, and probably still dreams of getting the old MX-3 going again. I should look him up.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
im2bad4ya

Post by im2bad4ya »

BTW, totally jelly that the older members got to have custom avatars.......what's up with that!? it's 2012! we should have custom avatars.....that's right CustomMX3 & Yoda :rant2:

SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

atlantamx3 still has his but also has a miata now. the atlanta group is pretty quiet lately. It also maybe seasonal. things may start back up in the summer, who knows.
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

The only thing I ever did twice was switch out the B&G's to the H&R's. Although I liked the stance and the ride (stiffer) of the H&R's better, I found the car understeered much more. Mind you I only did one autox session on the H&R's while I did several on the B+G's, but I also got the B+G's when they were different. They changed the part numbers and made only a single set for the 4cyl and v6 instead of seperate skews, and the new ones didn't have the same stance.

I did pay for my car (was on a loan) , and I also took out a $5000 loan to do the KLZE swap (to do it proper and complete).

Although I can contest that you don't get your money back from a car, pricesless things I've gotten from the car is; 1) friends 2)knowledge 3) bonding with my dad 4) many, many stories and experiences 5) reputation 6) connections 7) jobs 8) a life, oh, and she did get me my Rx-8. Maybe I'm lucky, I got in at a good time and got out at a good time.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

O hai...how iz every1 :freak:
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”