Im2bad4ya - '92 RS BP Journal/Suspension Stuff - "Lucky"

In this section, Users can post worklogs for their vehicle and show users their projects. (MX-3 ONLY!). Please create only ONE topic when starting a project, and DO NOT create 2 worklogs for the same vehicle, even though they are different projects. READ THE STICKY!
im2bad4ya

Re: Im2bad4ya - '92 RS BP Journal/Suspension Stuff - "Lucky"

Post by im2bad4ya »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:Distant future? That's like a $10 mod and I was thinking it before I got down to real what Josh had mentioned it.

REEEEALLLY??????? :love:

Yeah, I said future mod cause I wanna concentrate more on performance over aesthetics. I wanna get an MSD ignition, fix speedometer, and now I need a replacement fuel pressure regulator sensor cause the plastic where the hose goes into snapped :crying:

But anyways, I was looking into the light for the hell of it and I couldn't find a black light meant to go under the car. I found glow lights, purple ones but I'm not sure if they're the same as 'black lights' or rather if they function the same when shone on neon colors. Any more help or info is appreciated :)

-1992 MX-3 RS w/BP Swap Tropical Emerald Metallic "Lucky" 2005-2012 *REST IN PIECES*
Worklog: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=78176

-2003.5 MAZDASPEED Protege #882 Blazing Yellow Mica "Lemon Drop" 2012-2015 SOLD!

-2003 MAZDASPEED Protege #1186 Spicy Orange "Debbie" 2014-2015 SOLD!

-1980 Toyota Corolla Green 2014-present

-2002 Lexus IS 300 Solar Yellow 2015-present
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

As long as it shines UV light it should work. Try an indoor cheapy to see if it give you the effect that you want. I found plenty if 12v black/UV lights lights on ebay for $5-10 and upto $20
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
im2bad4ya

Post by im2bad4ya »

GS Alternator Swap

Okay, so let's get down to it. We all know or have heard of this upgrade. As it says the in the 4-cyl FAQ under the swappable parts thread:
Swapping 60Amp (RS) for 90Amp (GS) alternator:

I notice a couple of weeks a go, on my friend Ron'sProtege that the engine RPM's would change each time the lights flashed when the emergency flashers were on. The stock charging system was having a hard time keeping up to the electrical requirments of the car. I gave Ron my spare 90Amp alternator to see if that would fix the problem of the engine speed dropping everytime he increased the electrical demand on the car. He had to swap pulleys from the old 60Amp to the 90Amp alternator because the "B" engine use a V-belt where the "K" engine use a serpentine belt. Also the Mounting bolts attach from the opposite side. Once the alternator is mechanically installed the wiring just plugs in. Now with the charging system having more capacity it uses less engine horsepower to operate all the electric systems.
Boy, this really is a stretch of the imagination calling this a "plug and play" mod. Otherwise, I wouldn't bother dedicating a section of it in my work log. And it kinda sucks to post threads asking about this mod and get bombarded with "RAWWR! USE SEARCH ROOOOOAR!!!" because if it was as easy as the description says, then that response would be justified. The moral of this post is that if you plan on doing this swap, have all the parts you need. If possible, use the mounting bolts off the GS alt, the RS bolts are too short to work. You'll also need to buy a battery lug, 4 gauge. So without further adieu, I'll tell you how I got this going.

PARTS
GS Alternator ONLY (no bolts, no pulley)- $15 (bitter sweet under his circumstances, but thanks Dark_Rider2K3)
Alternator Lower Mounting bolt from a Nissan Pathfinder [thread size M10x1.25] - $5 (Junkyard in Newark, guy told me to give him whatever amount of money, I gave him what I thought was fair)
Lynx 3/8" diameter 4-6 gauge Battery Cable Lug - $3.29 (Autozone)
Extra nut & bolt I had lying around.

ALTERNATOR SWAP

I won't go through the steps, it really is simple enough. I guess the only reason I was ranting about it is because it's not as easy as JUST swapping the two parts and I had to go to hell and back just to get the missing bolts I needed. As the FAQ says, you'll need to swap over the pulley, so no surprises here. The RS pulley has a nut and washer. When you swap it over to the GS, you can't use the washer because there won't be enough thread to screw the nut on, so disregard the washer.

Here is a pic of the old alternator lug next to the new one. The bolt where the terminal is supposed to mount on the GS alt is too big for the orignal lug, which is why I needed to buy the bigger one.

Here is a pic of the elusive lower mounting bolt, with the bolt itself a little blurry in the picture.

The one I got off the Pathfinder is longer than the GS bolt, but every other bolt I tried was too short like the bolt for the RS, and after spending the better part of the afternoon searching for something that worked, I didn't care that it was longer, as long as it worked. I have to mention that during the week, I went EVERYWHERE to look for this bolt. Autozone, Pepboys, Strauss, Advanced Auto, Napa, Home Depot, Lowes, Fastenal, Grainger and a few mom & pop auto and hardware stores, TO NO AVAIL!! :crying: hence why I ended up getting it at the junkyard. Where as you can work under the hood taking out the old alternator, you'll probably have to go under the car to mount the bolt for the GS alt in because the bolt mounts in the opposite direction of the RS bolt, as is stated in the FAQ.

But you may be asking yourself, "Why not just take off the nut and use a different nut bolt combo?" Good question, that's because the nut doesn't come off, not without destroying it. It's not exactly welded onto the alternator, but it's held firmly in place, so there was no other choice, I had to get the correct bolt to make it work.

Here is a pic of the upper mounting bolt and the wires connected.

Again, the problem here is that you couldn't use the RS bolt. In fact, the bolt for the RS screws into the alternator itself. The saving grace here is that you NEED a bolt & NUT combo to hold it into place, because there aren't any threads in the GS alt to screw the upper bolt into, so this was painless.

And there you have it. I did this swap because my 20 year old alternator is starting to bite the dust. It started squealing this winter when it got cold. And even after the engine is warm, if I put electrical load, like defrost or climate+brake+loud radio, I get squealing. So this isn't something that you should do just for the sake of thinking it's gonna give you better performance. I did this mod as a matter of circumstance, and that's pretty much how I encourage anyone else who wants to do this to go about it. I mean, if you wanna do it just because, it won't hurt, but that's a half a tank of gas or another mod that could be more beneficial. Just remember, if you're doing this for the first time, get the proper mounting bolts and the new lug for the terminal. DO IT! :rant2:

-1992 MX-3 RS w/BP Swap Tropical Emerald Metallic "Lucky" 2005-2012 *REST IN PIECES*

-2003.5 MAZDASPEED Protege #882 Blazing Yellow Mica "Lemon Drop" 2012-2015 SOLD!

Dark_Rider2k3

Post by Dark_Rider2k3 »

How's it running? Glad to see it getting some good use! It's funny to see the pics and be like "HEY! That used to be mine!"

:lol:
im2bad4ya

Post by im2bad4ya »

Dark_Rider2k3 wrote:How's it running? Glad to see it getting some good use! It's funny to see the pics and be like "HEY! That used to be mine!"

:lol:
That's why I love our community. There's different types of parts on this car from a few different guys. All you guys are making this possible. :mrgreen: And it's kinda cool to go through other member's work logs and see the pieces I had when it was on THEIR cars.

Car is doing awesome! It's great to start it up and not hear squealing. Just for the hell of it, I started it up and immediately put on my high beams, climate control to 4, defrost, blast radio, step on brakes.......good to go! :2thumbsup:

SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

When I did my GS Alt swap, I was really happy to see my headlights and interior lights not dim when I pushed in the brakes. Not a necessary mod at all, but it just clears out those little "inconveniences" that make driving the car a better experience.
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
jeffs93toy
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by jeffs93toy »

Great work on it so far, I plan on the gs alt swap when mine dies. As for now still working on the rear disk swap. :evil:
im2bad4ya

Post by im2bad4ya »

SuperK wrote:When I did my GS Alt swap, I was really happy to see my headlights and interior lights not dim when I pushed in the brakes. Not a necessary mod at all, but it just clears out those little "inconveniences" that make driving the car a better experience.
I still get a slight dimming of the interior lights when I hit the brakes. IDK why. I also heard that a good custom ground kit should get rid of it. Someone had already done that before I got the car, the gauge is like home speaker wire gauge. The dim with the old alt would stay dim as long as I pressed on the brakes. Now it's a quick flicker. It's like it takes so much juice when I hit the brake but then recovers. It's weird but I don't notice it when I'm driving, only when I'm stationary, like parking or something like that.
jeffs93toy wrote:Great work on it so far, I plan on the gs alt swap when mine dies. As for now still working on the rear disk swap.
Awesome! Just do yourself a favor and refer to the log to make sure you have all the necessary bolts! :mrgreen: I'd love to do a rear disk swap but my car is a daily driver, I probably wouldn't get much in return for the buck. Also another piece of advice, make sure to be gentle when you remove the fuel pressure regulator solenoid when you swap the alts, or you'll snap the plastic tube and have to fine another one.

Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

So the problem your seeing is only happening when you're pretty much idling then?
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
im2bad4ya

Post by im2bad4ya »

yeah, pretty much. And my idle is never constant, when my car behaves, it's at 750RPM. But sometimes after its warm, i can go down as low as 500 with the brake or high as 850. I don't know if it's related with the dim. Though it's been like that since I installed my CAI. it'll usually idle below 750 when i slow down and I'm below 1000, and i go into neutral without hitting the clutch.

Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

It was said when they started going the GS alternator swap, that they pulley ratio difference on the RS might cause it to not keep up at idle. A voltmeter would give you a really good idea on what you're seeing in your lights and any actual voltage drops.

Return to “MX-3 Worklogs”